GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

scratched the paint!!..help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' GL 320 CDI, Iridium Silver, Fully Loaded
Question scratched the paint!!..help

The dumb--- that I am..i opened the rear hatch all the way and it hit the top of the garage door, right above the handle, it hit exactly a bolt from the garage the door and now there is a small area of paint that was chipped off..

my cdi is iridium silver...best way to fix?

thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 PM

08 S-550 & 08 GL-550
Originally Posted by rleggs
The dumb--- that I am..i opened the rear hatch all the way and it hit the top of the garage door, right above the handle, it hit exactly a bolt from the garage the door and now there is a small area of paint that was chipped off..

thanks guys.
Sorry to hear that,

I have the same exact color and two weeks out from purchasing,, someone decided to key my passenger door!! about a good two foot scratch!!

FYI this color i have been told by several body shops is the hardest to match...

cost me $900 bucks to repair.

Although it does not sound like your problem is that big,,make sure you have it done at a reliable source!! Or just live with it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:41 PM

08 GL320
I feel the pain! I have used a product called LANGKA which is pretty good for fixing small scratches and rock chips. You need to get the MB touchup paint from the stealer, and you can order the langka online (they have an instructional video on the website). Just do a google search. Hope this helps
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
OUCH...feeling your pain...hate to even ask, did you have the tailgate limiter set or no?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 AM

2007 ML 500

thanks guys.
buy some touch up paint. apply it and then do a wet sand to smooth it out. then polish the area free of scratches.

if you aren't comfortable doing the wet sanding... any good detailer can help you out or a bodyshop
Old 10-20-2007, 10:39 AM

07' GL 320 CDI, Iridium Silver, Fully Loaded
Question thanks guys..

no,i did not have the limiter set...i know i should have...if i go to the stealer, what's the best thing they'll do?..

will MAACO do a good job?..or should I just go to a detailer?

any good detailers in chicago suburbs anyone know of? [ i live in st.charles]

thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

Somewhat Related.

Do Not Close The Hood By Pressuring It Down Over The Emblem On The Hood As It Has No Support Under It. I Caved Mine In And Had To Have The Dent Doctor Repair It.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 PM

2008 GL450 / 1999 ML320
Originally Posted by LASCAUX
Somewhat Related.

Do Not Close The Hood By Pressuring It Down Over The Emblem On The Hood As It Has No Support Under It. I Caved Mine In And Had To Have The Dent Doctor Repair It.
Ouch - good tip - will definitely avoid doing that.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLS450, 2015 E250BT 4Matic, 2007 GL320CDI, 2005 SLK350, 2001 SLK320
no,i did not have the limiter set...i know i should have...if i go to the stealer, what's the best thing they'll do?..

thanks
I was going to suggest Knauz until you said you live in St. Charles. Knauz has an MB certified body shop but I've never used them.

We've had good luck with Owner's Choice in Highland Park, but that's also a long drive. I backed into a stop sign with my wife's RX330 and it scratched/gouged the bumper. (Yes the car has a back-up camera for a reason. I've learned my lesson.) Lexus wanted nearly $1000 for a new bumper. Owner's Choice touched it up for less than $100 and I can't tell it was ever damaged. The color is very similar to your Iridium Silver.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 AM

Depends where I'm going.
Check with your dealership, all of them have a bumper scuff repair guy that comes out. You just drop it off there and the dealership will take care of it for a reasonable fee, $150 or so I believe. I had a scuff repaired on a BMW and a couple of "incidents" repaired on my mother in law's car. Perfect color match, undetectable from any angle and stood up well over time. For $150, it might be worth a shot and a lot of mishaps are repaired this way at the port from what I've been told.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP

thanks
I did MAACO on some peeling paint for my LX470 I sold, but that's because I was selling it. Some folks might tell you it's just as good and it not only looked pretty nice but was warranteed for as long as I owned my vehicle (which was about a week). So while I say I'd be afraid of how well they could match it, if it's just paint and no body work they might well be someone to talk to. I know they out-bid the high-end Scottsdale body shops by about 50%.

OTOH, my tailgate was up when my son closed the garage door on it. The scrapes are minimal, hard to see even against the black paint. Then I backed (very slowly) into a stuccoed pillar (that part stuck out into the parking spot, above the backup sensors). Again, very little damage and thus far something I can live with. Hard to believe I consider this my pampered pooch at home.

STP