Do You Let Your Diesel Warm Up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by alx
interesting post.

however, somewhat misleading and outdated...

the turbo spin-down time applies mostly to large turbo applications running hot oil and getting turned off after spirited driving. think supras with t66, t88 and the like turbos, skylines, eclipses, etc. there is even a widget called "turbo timer" that will keep the engine running for predetermined time (usually few minutes) after you lock you car and walk away...

however, in a normal non-tuned engine waiting for a turbo spin-down to avoid oil cooking the turbo axle is somewhat of an overkill..

the oil cooking is a real danger mostly to regular turbos where the turbine axle "skates" on a thin film of oil. however, nowadays most turbos are ball-bearing based and as such one has to really run hard the vehicle in a hot day and then shut it down instantly to cook the bearings.

the rest of the post- absolutely agree- the diesel when fired cold needs to be left alone for a minute or two to reach some intake temperature so the diesel fuel atomization is more complete and the burn process - complete.

alex
I agree, the point of my post was 90% in refernece to warm up rather than cool down. If I was pulling a 15,000 5th wheel with my Duramax through the great southwest in the summer, I would let it cool down before shutting down. Other than that, these MB 320's will never see enough severe duty to warrant a 2nd thought about cool down.

However, no matter how many scientist tell me that it is not necessary to warm up a diesel, I will continue to do so. Just call me old fashioned, but the industry that puts food on my table, agrees strongly on this point. I own a few $$$ worth of equipment that runs on diesel. I gladly pay my guys to arrive early and sit in their cars while their equipment warms up every morning.