Sirius - Song Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Sirius - Song Info

Does anyone know how to program Sirius to default to the info page, as opposed to the station page when changing channels/presets?

Each time I change the channel to a different preset #, Sirius shows the channel it has changed to and then I have to press the "Info" soft key to show the song details. I don't know why they do this, because the station name is listed on the same page with the song information.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Agree it would be a nice feature .On my other cars , once I set it for "song title " as the default on sat radio , it stays that way when changing stations . I swear , it feels like the " INFO" soft key button is already wearing out, as I now have to press it " just so " to make it work after just a few weeks .

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
That must be a GL specific function. My E class stays on the info screen when I press the presets. About the only time it changes to the channel screen is when I enter a station number directly with the * key.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E500
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
That must be a GL specific function. My E class stays on the info screen when I press the presets. About the only time it changes to the channel screen is when I enter a station number directly with the * key.
The various classes do work differently. The ML also does what is described above for the GL (info goes off when entering presets).

Having both an E and an ML, I have been able to see hands-on that there are definitely differences between them. It's frustrating enough that neither of them does what I would like (and probably what MOST people would default to) - having info displayed as the default always so we can see the song details, but adding on top of that the fact that the different classes behave differently only adds to the frustration and confusion.

Oh well...what can you do?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
fmr

GL320
I was wondering about this as well. Had a 6 hr (each way) trip this weekend and it was quite frustrating having to constantly hit the info button. Looked through manuals and did not come up with anything.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by gvaughn
Having both an E and an ML, I have been able to see hands-on that there are definitely differences between them.
Yes, USA-built cars have Alpine radios and German-built E-class has a Becker radio.

I know how to burn music CDs that won't play in the GL but will play in the E.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by lkchris
I know how to burn music CDs that won't play in the GL but will play in the E.
That's weird, Kent. I have had no issues playing burnt CDs in GL. Burned DVDs did give me some issues in the beginning but now those play too.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
The info thing is just one more irritant. My free 6 months of Sirius just expired a few days ago and I’m not renewing. I’m just not that impressed with the content with the exception of the 3 classical stations. Most of the time when I’m not in the mood for classical I’m flipping around the stations and frequently coming up empty same as FM. So why pay them for the ‘privilege’.

This is more frustrating because there’s a long pause after hitting the preset or up/down. I noticed FM doesn’t have as long a pause.

The way I look at it, I’d be much happier spending the $13 / month on iTunes downloads.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM

2006 E500
Yes, USA-built cars have Alpine radios and German-built E-class has a Becker radio.
That could be true, but the interface looks the same (or very similar) so you would think the interactivity would be the same. I.e. they both have an info button for the sirius satellite which provides song info. Why the E maintains this position (info on) when you flip through presets and the GL/ML (others?) do not maintain this position has got to be software design based, and not due to hardware differences.

It sounds like the US software engineers and the European software engineers did enough talking to know that the systems would look the same, but they forgot to work out the details for consistent functionality (whether the info would maintain selection or not after choosing a preset).

Another example of how they are different (in the opposite direction), is the E will lose the info selection if you go from satellite to another function (such as the map). The ML however, as long as you stay on the same satellite station, maintains the info selection when switching back to satellite from another COMAND function such as Nav or map).
Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 PM

2006 E500
Originally Posted by GL Troll
The info thing is just one more irritant. My free 6 months of Sirius just expired a few days ago and I’m not renewing. I’m just not that impressed with the content with the exception of the 3 classical stations. Most of the time when I’m not in the mood for classical I’m flipping around the stations and frequently coming up empty same as FM. So why pay them for the ‘privilege’.

This is more frustrating because there’s a long pause after hitting the preset or up/down. I noticed FM doesn’t have as long a pause.

The way I look at it, I’d be much happier spending the $13 / month on iTunes downloads.
I must say, as annoying as some of the design implementations are, I LOVE my satellite radio.

But just to mention one more "info"-related function that is poorly designed (?) in mercedes: I also have a sirius sportster stand-alone radio, and not only can you search channels by station name/number, but you can also search channels by "info". This is especially helpful if you're looking for a live sporting event that is being broadcast on a "random" available channel. For example, when they do the NFL games, they can have as many as 10-15 channels simultaneously brodcasting games (they often broadcast both the home and away teams for each game, and there can be as many as 5 or more games playing simultaneously). Knowing which games are on which channel is like playing roulette - and being able to scan the "info" is very handy when searching for a game.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by gvaughn
Another example of how they are different (in the opposite direction), is the E will lose the info selection if you go from satellite to another function (such as the map). The ML however, as long as you stay on the same satellite station, maintains the info selection when switching back to satellite from another COMAND function such as Nav or map).
The same thing occurs in the GL as I just found out recently and was astonished. At least they got that one right!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by oknish
That's weird, Kent. I have had no issues playing burnt CDs in GL. Burned DVDs did give me some issues in the beginning but now those play too.
Yeah, actually it was MP3s--with my IBM/Lenovo if I drag and drop files to a CD, they don't work in the GL, but if I use some cd writing software to move the same files, they do play. It's a file format thing. I was VERY lucky to have my GL salesman be an IT guy in his former career.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I was VERY lucky to have my GL salesman be an IT guy in his former career.
Cool. There is still hope for me, then
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Here's a new one (at least for me anyway )...

With the SAT on and the Song Info showing on the command screen, you can actually turn off the command unit and as long as you don't turn off the GL, when you power the command unit back on, your song info will still be showing with the SAT.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

GL450
Info button

I suppose a Daimler techie could do the fix in an hour -- the problem is incorrect application of 1s and 0s. How hard could it be? The same feature should be available on the radio as well.

They could then make it available to the dealers who could email their customers and tell them to come in and we'll fix it. I've had my car a month and have had a software upgrade already.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:35 PM
fmr

GL320
I've had my car a month and have had a software upgrade already.[/QUOTE]

what changes have you noticed with the software upgrade?