GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 450
Check Engine Light

I got a 2007 GL 450 and the check engine light came on about 2 months ago. I took my car to service and they fixed it in like 15-20 minutes. As soon as I took my car out of service i drove about 10 miles and it came back on again. So i took it back to service 1 week later and they kept my car for a day. When i got the car back the check engone light came back on again after 3 days. Anyone know whats wrong ?

It isnt even time for my first service yet.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Unfortunately there are many situations that can trigger CE light.............even a loose gas cap.........if the light stays on for a lengthy period of time (couple hours of driving or so) is should register a code in the computer that your service tech can read. Intermittent lighting most likely will not register a code......and.......the best of all situations is to be able to take it to them with the light on. Barring the the code being there and the tech being able to precisely identify the source, the only thing they do is run diagnostic tests to see if there are any visible faults............all in all, can be very frustrating
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM

2007 GL 450
when I got my car back from service because of the check engine light, they said that it had a gas leak but they fixed it. I know for sure that its not from the gas cap being loose because i always tighten it. Thanks for your response
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by blittle
Unfortunately there are many situations that can trigger CE light.............even a loose gas cap.........if the light stays on for a lengthy period of time (couple hours of driving or so) is should register a code in the computer that your service tech can read. Intermittent lighting most likely will not register a code......and.......the best of all situations is to be able to take it to them with the light on. Barring the the code being there and the tech being able to precisely identify the source, the only thing they do is run diagnostic tests to see if there are any visible faults............all in all, can be very frustrating
It shouldnt matter if the light was on for a millisecond or 2 years. It would set a code. If it stays on its registered as a current code. If It goes off and comes on intermitently, then its a stored code. Sometimes, the ME will recognize problems, but if its not something that happens very often, they get stored as events. All of which can be read out with an SDS. Fuel leak problems are very tricky and hard to diagnose correctly on the first try. Often times, you can just tighten the gas cap and be on with your life. Other times, if the code is cleared, and the same problems permits, it wont set a code for a while until ME thinks its severe enough that it need be addressed (events). Our dealership has a smoke machine that we can tap into the purge system and it emits a thick white smoke from any spot in the purge system that is leaking. Not sure if your dealer has it, but you may want to mention this to them and see if its a possible test they could run. Although, any smart technician would have done this the first time, provided the tools are available. Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM

2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by SLR199
It shouldnt matter if the light was on for a millisecond or 2 years. It would set a code. If it stays on its registered as a current code. If It goes off and comes on intermitently, then its a stored code. Sometimes, the ME will recognize problems, but if its not something that happens very often, they get stored as events. All of which can be read out with an SDS. Fuel leak problems are very tricky and hard to diagnose correctly on the first try. Often times, you can just tighten the gas cap and be on with your life. Other times, if the code is cleared, and the same problems permits, it wont set a code for a while until ME thinks its severe enough that it need be addressed (events). Our dealership has a smoke machine that we can tap into the purge system and it emits a thick white smoke from any spot in the purge system that is leaking. Not sure if your dealer has it, but you may want to mention this to them and see if its a possible test they could run. Although, any smart technician would have done this the first time, provided the tools are available. Hope this helps.
the dealership i go to is downtown l.a. mercedes on figeroua and washington in los angeles, california. Thanks for mentioning that smoke thing