Chrome Door Handle Shells

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450 and X5
Chrome Door Handle Shells

Hi everyone! I've been a bystander for some time enjoying the forum and all of the wonderful suggestions. I purchased a set of chrome door handle shells to enhance the look of my GL. The instructions direct us not to install the shells in temp. less than 70 F. How true is this? Do I have to wait till summer before installation? My garage hovers at the low 50s here in the NW and there isn't any way for me to heat the garage to 70 F. Feedbacks and experience are much appreciated.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM

2002 BMW 330i, and GL 450
Originally Posted by ivrier
Hi everyone! I've been a bystander for some time enjoying the forum and all of the wonderful suggestions. I purchased a set of chrome door handle shells to enhance the look of my GL. The instructions direct us not to install the shells in temp. less than 70 F. How true is this? Do I have to wait till summer before installation? My garage hovers at the low 50s here in the NW and there isn't any way for me to heat the garage to 70 F. Feedbacks and experience are much appreciated.
I did this when the temperature was hovering around 60 in my garage, if not lower. They are still in place and solid as a rock. I think they are being a bit cautious when they suggest 70 F I''l let you know if they fall out...
Old 12-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl 450
Take a hair dryer in the garage and heat up the handle area where you will be applying the shells. Then after placing them on heat it up with the dryer again and you should be fine. If they are MB parts you may need to take the door handles off before installing. If that is the case you may want dealer to do it.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by soapy
Take a hair dryer in the garage and heat up the handle area where you will be applying the shells. Then after placing them on heat it up with the dryer again and you should be fine. If they are MB parts you may need to take the door handles off before installing. If that is the case you may want dealer to do it.
No need to take the door handles off. The MB shells slide in.. do a practice run before exposing the sticky backing. Heating area with hair dryer is good idea. Make sure you clean the area well and use alcohol pad they give you with the kit otherwise use rubbing alcohol with lint free cloth and clean the area. Good Luck they do look cool.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

GL450, 99 Road King
Another suggestion is to set up a halogen shop light and wait a few minutes, Trust me that will get the handles nice and toasty. I have them and plan on installing them in the next day or two. I’ll be using my light.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by soapy
Thanks for the suggestion!

I installed my covers in less than 70 deg weather (no problems!) but have been waiting to do the chrome hood fins...now I can get them on! Yay!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Almost a Member!

GL 450 and X5
Thanks

Thanks for the reply guys!

I plan to have them installed this weekend when I can take time after work. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by ivrier
Thanks for the reply guys!

I plan to have them installed this weekend when I can take time after work. I'll let you all know how it works out.
I don't know if it's the same as when I was installing the (aftermarket) chrome fins but I think what they want is for the small amount of water involved in the installation - which allows for minor adjustments for a few moments - to dry quickly so as to not allow the cups to move (or, worse, fall off). At least that's the impression I got from the fins. Possibly also warmer temps allow for better contact between the parts because the adhesive will be slightly softer?