GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 Snow Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007 | 02:46 AM

08 GL550
GL550 Snow Update

Boston has been pretty messy in the week+ since I picked up the GL. I've learned 2 very important things:
1> DO NOT use descent control on an icy downhill. The ABS system fights the slow speed and causes significant skidding/sliding.
2> DO NOT punch the gas on a slippery surface. Too much power for with too little traction.

That said, I'm very happy with the overall performance of the GL in our current weather conditions. The ability to raise the vehicle 3.5" has been extremely helpful in manuevering into snow filled parking spaces as well as cutting through 12"-15" of iced over fresh snow.

I'm not planning to change from the stock tires and AMG rims at this point in time. However, if I spent more time driving, or drove in an area with more hills and/or snow I would quickly sacrifice asthetics for a set of dedicated winter tires.

Last edited by ceezeeman; 12-23-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2007 | 12:20 PM

gl 450
I put Bridgestones blizzaks on my GL and they really help. It is hard to get it to slip on the ice with them on. I just traded it for a ML550 and what a difference the snow tires make. THe ML is OK on snow now but needs to get updated with some snow tires.
Old 12-23-2007 | 01:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by ceezeeman
Boston has been pretty messy in the week+ since I picked up the GL. I've learned 2 very important things:
1> DO NOT use descent control on an icy downhill. The ABS system fights the slow speed and causes significant skidding/sliding.
2> DO NOT punch the gas on a slippery surface. Too much power for with too little traction.

That said, I'm very happy with the overall performance of the GL in our current weather conditions. The ability to raise the vehicle 3.5" has been extremely helpful in manuevering into snow filled parking spaces as well as cutting through 12"-15" of iced over fresh snow.

I'm not planning to change from the stock tires and AMG rims at this point in time. However, if I spent more time driving, or drove in an area with more hills and/or snow I would quickly sacrifice asthetics for a set of dedicated winter tires.
Have you tried to keep your speed downhill by keeping the transmission in 1st gear? It seems to work for me since ABS doesn't kick in to slow it down.