GL320 COMAND APS Navigation Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008 | 08:32 PM
Almost a Member!

GL320 CDI
GL320 COMAND APS Navigation Problem

Hi Guys,

New to the forums here and just bought the GL320 CDI here in the UK. Got an Obsidian Black Metaillic one with black leather interior and loads of options. Best of all was that they gave me £12,000 worth of options for 3,000 above the basic price of the car! As i bought it on the 31st December and they were desperate to sell one more car to get the dealership bonuses for every employee. Having a little problem thought that my dealer is taking his time to solve for me.

When I insert the EUROPE NAVIGATION DVD i still get the "Please Insert Disc" readout on the screen. When I took the car to the dealer they said it was the wrong Navigation DVD since it didn't say GL-Class on the back and worked on one of the service guy's C-Class Estate. But after checking on some sites, the v8.0 Navigation DVD they gave me should be compatible with the GL-Class COMAND.

I am afraid that my COMAND is messed up and the car is brand new!

Any ideas anybody? Any help would be appreciated because I get the feeling my service guys talk our of their *** sometimes!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-06-2008 | 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Suffwan
When I insert the EUROPE NAVIGATION DVD i still get the "Please Insert Disc" readout on the screen. When I took the car to the dealer they said it was the wrong Navigation DVD since it didn't say GL-Class on the back and worked on one of the service guy's C-Class Estate. But after checking on some sites, the v8.0 Navigation DVD they gave me should be compatible with the GL-Class COMAND.

I am afraid that my COMAND is messed up and the car is brand new!
The US COMAND DVD is different from the European one, but frankly if you bought the car with the NAV, they owe you the correct flippin' disk. Here in the US it can be had for less than $200 (can't recall the exact price offhand) but that could be £200 or more for you! (We all know how that goes in the UK!) I'd just say to them "Here's the disk that came with it, if it's the wrong one you swap it for the right one and we'll be all right, or you can take the car and stuff it." For that money, you deserve the service a new car of any type gets, and for them getting one off the lot in a country notorious for folks wanting one built the way they want down to the last bolt, they'd better treat you like royalty!

STP
Old 01-07-2008 | 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I wouldn't despair, just yet, if I was you. The Nav doesn't work in your car as expected, plain and simple. The DVD and COMAND head unit were part of the new car that you bought and dealer needs to fix it by whatever means necessary. So, politely but firmly, tell them that the Nav isn't working and they need to fix it. If they can't then you will need to escalate. All the best.