GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Weird electronic glitches??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 S550 4Matic, 10 GL 350 CDI, 67 250SEC, 67 250SL
Weird electronic glitches??

In the last 3 weeks, my 320CDI has been doing some strange things. On several occasions while listening to a CD in the stacker, the music would just quit, the Command display black out for a few seconds, and then come back to life. Today while driving, using the GPS, the same would happen, but accompanied by an ominous flash in the central display saying, DO NOT CHANGE GEARS AND PROCEED TO THE NEAREST WORKSHOP. What the !!!!
Anyone had any similar experience? By the way, the truck drove fine with no obvious mechanical issues. Try and explain that one to the service advisor.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 AM

2011 GL350, 2010 S550
Hahahaha, sorry but I find it funny.

I think that MB cars on top of having real issues are also riddled by all kinds of software bugs, which makes difficult to discern when there is a problem indeed.

One thing my car does is when I press the lowering button the screen says "Being Lowered" for a while and the LED button blinks, but instead of displaying "AIRMATIC" when is done, it says "Vehicle Raised". Of course it only happens randomly.
At first I was questioning if I really pressed the button so I asked my girlfriend to watch me...

I gave up reporting this kind of problems, because I noticed that the service guys can barely get their mind around problems that stares them in the face, let alone intermittent ones.

Hopefully there is nothing serious with your car...good luck!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:50 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by Ollies
In the last 3 weeks, my 320CDI has been doing some strange things. On several occasions while listening to a CD in the stacker, the music would just quit, the Command display black out for a few seconds, and then come back to life. Today while driving, using the GPS, the same would happen, but accompanied by an ominous flash in the central display saying, DO NOT CHANGE GEARS AND PROCEED TO THE NEAREST WORKSHOP. What the !!!!
Anyone had any similar experience? By the way, the truck drove fine with no obvious mechanical issues. Try and explain that one to the service advisor.
Has your truck been in a heavy rain? When mine sat out in a heavy rain, water tracked down into the electronic guts of the car by means of sunroof drains that were never connected. The passenger compartment of the car was completely dry, but the service techs found 5 inches of water in the lower parts of the car where the electronics live.

I mention this because what you describe is a smaller, gentler version of what my car did before it had a massive meltdown. It is something to consider.

I searched for the thread I started about it called "electrical meltdown in my GL320". Here is the link: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...eltdown&page=2 It contained details about the ordeal.

Last edited by oinick; 01-08-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
I had my ORP equipped 450 into the shop for a "locking diff inactive" message. They replaced some sort of solenoid or motor which corrected the problem.
I get the vehicle back, and that night it snows pretty well. Of coarse, I'm out driving in the snow, and the following happens:
1st, the parking sensors start going crazy. I figure it's because of snow on the sensors, and turn parktronic off. End of that problem.
2nd, I get the "Open Fuel Cap" message, even though I had not added gas in 2 days.
3rd, I get the "Brake Wear" message.

Next day, the snow is pretty much gone. I give the car a short bath, spraying extra volumes into the wheel wells & around the brakes.
Lo & behold, no more messages.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
MB Gremlins