Front and Rear Chrome Light frames

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Front and Rear Chrome Light frames

Patsy...didn't you say you installed these? I as well some others would like to see some pics showing how they look close-up and in full shots of the GL. Get that digital fixed and post some of them for us...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Sorry NJ. I know I keep apologizing and promising pics. My car is at the dealership (for 2 days know) because they are trying to install the IPOD again. The part they got from Nav-TV was defective. I should have it back tomorrow. I promise to take pics when I get it back. Although they are calling for rain again. I will get them up by this weekend.

I did install the Chrome Frames and they came out great (I think). I had one issue with them and that was that they didn't seem to fit perfectly at first. It appears that you need to get one corner on and then stretch them to the other corner. I would advise going through the fitting process a few times in trial runs before peeling the adhesive. I would also suggest waiting for warm weather (for those of use in colder climates) because once I touched the adhesive to the lenses, wham, they stuck. I wound up having to remove two of them because they weren't aligned just right (not easy, they were stuck). As a result, the adhesive was then not adhering on the corners and they were lifting up a bit (uggh!). Luckily, my local detail shop that did my laser jammer and alarm fixed them by heating and removing them and then applying new adhesive. I should have used these guys in the first place. They came out perfect. These guys also got that AMG parking brake pedal to snap in correctly (spit wasn't working!). It's not that you can't install these yourself, you totally can, it's just that if it's too cold outside the adhesion process won't be forgiving, and you need a certain amount of play with them to get the alignment right. I did the chrome fins and switch plates in the cold without problems but alignment isn't as important with those, it's hard to mess them up. Anyway, my .02, I will post pics by the weekend.

I also had the emblems removed from the rear of the GL. I left the MB but removed the 4MATIC and the GL550. I wasn't sure about the 550 removal but I am really happy the way it looks.

Lastly, in my other thread that talked about the IPOD adapter, quick update. The after market one they are using is made by NAV-TV. While it is better in the sense that it will display all ipod info on the large Command screen, the connection has to be done through the CD Changer port which means no more cd changer (you still have the single disc in the dash). At first I wasn't happy about that but I guess in reality between Sat Radio and the IPOD, I really won't use cd's much anymore, and if I do, I'll have the single slot to use.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Thanks patsy...will be looking for the pics...:-)
Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by patsy1099
At first I wasn't happy about that but I guess in reality between Sat Radio and the IPOD, I really won't use cd's much anymore, and if I do, I'll have the single slot to use.
Patsy - in my experience I have used the CD changer less than 10 times in more than a year I have had my 450. You won't miss it. If you can, please, post Nav-TV's iPod pics too since I am interested in that also.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL 450
Oknish,

I will post pics of the command interface showing the ipod options. There really isn't anything else to show beside the cable itself which is normal.

This adapter was made by a company called Dice, which I believe just resells the Nav-TV cable, but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone wants me to find out for sure I can ask the shop that installed it and get precise info.