GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New 320 owner - Hello and Winter Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by cschmelz
It absolutely makes sense. Unless that one wheels happens to be the only one to hit a slippery spot the physics make complete sense. Critically low air leads to flatter tire which thus has a smaller radius. It isn't doing this instanteously, it is looking over some amount of time and averaging.
Yes, but this is the least desireable option for TPMS's. The most accurate and dependable are the ones that show individual tire pressure in real time. Whatever pressure is showing, you can take to the bank. I have proven this many times over on my Silverado. The "Dummy light" system is lacking.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gl 450
My 2006 ML500 used the traction sensors to monitor the tires. If one tire was lower in pressure over a period of time the revolutions of the tire where more and it would signal a low tire pressure signal. It came on several times and all the tires would be the same pressure. It was a pain to reset it each time. I like the new version with actual air pressure sensors. I do run my winter tires on 18 inch wheels with no air sensors and all the warning I get is a small tire symbal on the speedometer which does not bother me at all.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320CDI
I'm going to price the sensors in Miami and Houston while there next week. My dealer does his best to talk me out of everything I want to buy from him - not sure why. Today I went in to tell him I wanted the iPod thingy installed for delivery, and he talked me out of it saying it was too expensive to install

Anyway, I'm probably going with Nokian Hakka 5 SUV tires on the OEM rims. Maybe I'll get a snazzier set for the summers