GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Torque vs HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
Here is a little analogy that I like to use when talking about horsepower and torque...

Think of how you versus your 14 year old son might crank down the tongue jack on a boat trailer with the weight on it...

He has a bit of trouble getting it started but once he does, man he cranks that sucker fast... And uses up a lot of energy doing it... You might say he has lots of horsepower.

You on the other hand have no trouble getting the jack started... You crank away without much effort, at a nice steady pace... You are capable of cranking nearly as fast, but you take it easy cranking at a semi brisk pace. Not as fast as your son... You have lots of torque.

In the end, you son can crank the trailer up faster than you can. He does more work in a shorter amount of time. But, he is pooped when he is done, since, he used a lot of energy to do it. You can't crank the trailer up as fast, but it is really not hard work for you... You can't do the work in as short of time as your son. But you didn't really expend much energy doing it.

Torque, by the way should really be the most important between the two when discussing larger SUV type vehicles. For Little lightweight race cars like my Subaru STi, horsepower is more important.
Nice analogy.

Also, your son may slow down or have to change gears as the weight of the trailer increases where as , you just apply more available torque and continue the steady pace.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
What's going on with your son and his crank? Gee whiz, that's a bit personal!

BTW, was that you I caught at Chic-fil-A the other day?

STP
Ha ha...

It very well might have been... Late friday afternoon? Just leaving headed up to Pinetop for a little bit of Snowboarding. I did recall passing another Silver GL... Kinda was like looking into a mirror.