Trip to Yerrup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Trip to Yerrup

Well I just got back last night (after ~25 hours of flying and waiting, flying and waiting) from a two week trip to Sweden and the UK. There were some interesting things I noticed over there with regards to vehicles. First of all, in Sweden they seem to think there's no problem with gas prices. I saw everything there American. Just about anything US here, I saw driving there, including an Excursion that sounded like the V8 gas edition (wasn't diesel, and didn't sound as "big" as my V10, and had an "internation" badge on the side). I saw no GLs in Stockholm or the outlying areas but I did see plent of MLs. I also saw about a hundred Jeeps, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc. Weird.

I saw one GL320 CDI in the UK. My friend who was driving me around (to Scotland on a whisky tour -- if I recall correctly) had a 1-series BMW. This little sucker, with the tuning box, was lightning fast. On the motorways and dual carriageways, we were doing about 90 most of the time and his trip computer (and spreadsheets) showed he was getting about 47mpg on Shell V-Power diesel. But it's not the highway driving that adds so much to the mileage; BMW's power saving features have greatly increased the efficiency of the vehicle. When you come to a stop light, put the tranny in neutral and release the clutch, the engine stops. The engine and regenerative braking have charged a glass-pack (sp?) battery that runs the electrics and the air conditioning while you're stopped, and putting the clutch in again re-starts the engine instantly. The power steering assist is electric rather than hydraulic, so it's only used when turning (which I guess puts less draw on the engine) and the air conditioning is electric rather than engine-driven, so it too doesn't require a pully on the engine itself.

Overall, I thought of it as a glimpse into possible futures for vehicles in the US. Some of this efficiency technology will definately come over in the European vehicles, but will it pass on to the US manufacturers (who, by the way, tend to own or be deeply involved with these European manufacturers)?

Anyway, an interesting glimpse in to Scandanavia and Scotland.

STP
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Well I just got back last night (after ~25 hours of flying and waiting, flying and waiting) from a two week trip to Sweden and the UK. There were some interesting things I noticed over there with regards to vehicles. First of all, in Sweden they seem to think there's no problem with gas prices. I saw everything there American. Just about anything US here, I saw driving there, including an Excursion that sounded like the V8 gas edition (wasn't diesel, and didn't sound as "big" as my V10, and had an "internation" badge on the side). I saw no GLs in Stockholm or the outlying areas but I did see plent of MLs. I also saw about a hundred Jeeps, Suburbans, Tahoes, etc. Weird.

I saw one GL320 CDI in the UK. My friend who was driving me around (to Scotland on a whisky tour -- if I recall correctly) had a 1-series BMW. This little sucker, with the tuning box, was lightning fast. On the motorways and dual carriageways, we were doing about 90 most of the time and his trip computer (and spreadsheets) showed he was getting about 47mpg on Shell V-Power diesel. But it's not the highway driving that adds so much to the mileage; BMW's power saving features have greatly increased the efficiency of the vehicle. When you come to a stop light, put the tranny in neutral and release the clutch, the engine stops. The engine and regenerative braking have charged a glass-pack (sp?) battery that runs the electrics and the air conditioning while you're stopped, and putting the clutch in again re-starts the engine instantly. The power steering assist is electric rather than hydraulic, so it's only used when turning (which I guess puts less draw on the engine) and the air conditioning is electric rather than engine-driven, so it too doesn't require a pully on the engine itself.

Overall, I thought of it as a glimpse into possible futures for vehicles in the US. Some of this efficiency technology will definately come over in the European vehicles, but will it pass on to the US manufacturers (who, by the way, tend to own or be deeply involved with these European manufacturers)?

Anyway, an interesting glimpse in to Scandanavia and Scotland.

STP
They love Firebirds and Camaros in Sweden ,too.
Someone please explain how it came to be that American iron has for decades been popular in that country .
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MKW
They love Firebirds and Camaros in Sweden ,too.
Someone please explain how it came to be that American iron has for decades been popular in that country .
I was there for the 4th of July, so it was during the American Car Show (or whatever it was called). It was huge. They had some amazing cars there, classics with heritage and (in most cases) well preserved or restored. But the people were absolute hoodlums, not at all representative of the people in Sweden. They were drinking while riding in the cars (well, hanging out of the cars), driving five miles an hour, peeing on the side of the road, loud music, public drunkeness, generally being a pain in the butt. What worried me was, is that because that's the image they have of the Americans in the 1950's? Geez I hope not!

BTW -- -- sorry.

STP
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM

2014 GL 450
Glad you had a good trip!

I wonder if the BMW 1 series in Europe is the same as the ones they are selling here. My hubby likes the looks of them, but with his 150-mile per day commute, unless something can beat the 40mpg of his Civic, he's stuck with the Civic.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
Glad you had a good trip!

I wonder if the BMW 1 series in Europe is the same as the ones they are selling here. My hubby likes the looks of them, but with his 150-mile per day commute, unless something can beat the 40mpg of his Civic, he's stuck with the Civic.
Nope. The only ones I have ever seen in Europe are five door hatches, and diesels, although that may have changed...
Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Welcome back, STP............Jack missed you so much he traded in his GL.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oknish
Welcome back, STP............Jack missed you so much he traded in his GL.
Damn.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Brocktoon
Nope. The only ones I have ever seen in Europe are five door hatches, and diesels, although that may have changed...
Yeah, my buddy's is a 5-door hatch diesel. I tell ya, if they bring the technology here it'll be something else. Always disappointed with the efficiency of cars here when I come back from the UK. And that's keeping in mind that a UK gallon is bigger than a US gallon!

(Of course things like full size bathrooms and nice wide, straight roads - and not paying three times as much for everything - does tend to balance that scale a lot more in the US's favor )

STP
Old 07-18-2008, 02:36 PM

2008 GL320
BMW's power saving features have greatly increased the efficiency of the vehicle. When you come to a stop light, put the tranny in neutral and release the clutch, the engine stops. The engine and regenerative braking have charged a glass-pack (sp?) battery that runs the electrics and the air conditioning while you're stopped, and putting the clutch in again re-starts the engine instantly. The power steering assist is electric rather than hydraulic, so it's only used when turning (which I guess puts less draw on the engine) and the air conditioning is electric rather than engine-driven, so it too doesn't require a pully on the engine itself.
So, it's a mild hybrid diesel without an electric motor? Cool!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Damn.
Is that all you have to say about my SL? Well here is a picture for you to put on your desktop to remember who I am...:-)))

Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
Is that all you have to say about my SL? Well here is a picture for you to put on your desktop to remember who I am...:-)))
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear anything in the back due to the rear seat entertainment system in your SL.

Seriously, it's a gorgeous car. Not enough doors or seats, though.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
I'm sorry, what? I can't hear anything in the back due to the rear seat entertainment system in your SL.

Seriously, it's a gorgeous car. Not enough doors or seats, though.
Thanks Steve! Sounds like you had a great trip.