TV Tuner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008 | 08:57 AM
Almost a Member!

GL320 CDI
TV Tuner

Hi guys,

Seems there is a problem with the COMAND in my GL320 and Mercedes Benz UK are going to replace the system under the warranty. My car didnt come with a TV Tuner and my dealer said he would do me a little favour for the inconvenience. I was wondering is it possible to get a TV Tuner fitted. Is that something in the COMAND system or alot more complicated than that. Its just that sometimes when im waiting for someone it would be nice to watch a little TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Suffwan
Hi guys,

Seems there is a problem with the COMAND in my GL320 and Mercedes Benz UK are going to replace the system under the warranty. My car didnt come with a TV Tuner and my dealer said he would do me a little favour for the inconvenience. I was wondering is it possible to get a TV Tuner fitted. Is that something in the COMAND system or alot more complicated than that. Its just that sometimes when im waiting for someone it would be nice to watch a little TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I had a tuner fitted to my 2000 Ford Excursion (heck, with that thing I could've installed a TV station!) and found it to be mightily disappointing. That said, I don't know how TV signals work in the UK versus the US, but here without a good directional antenna it's really worthless. However, we have had people fit DirecTV flat dishes on the roof, with I suppose some success, and I know in the US you can convince DirecTV that you cannot receive terrestrial signals and they'll allow you to receive them through the dish.

STP
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
I have seen modules for TV tuners on eBay that are just a plug and play and will even work while in gear. As Steve said, signal strength is very important. Maybe drive around with a portable tv and determine if you get a quality signal to make it worthwhile.

I assume you're stationary waiting for someone, but is TV/video in motion on the Comand legal in the UK?
Old 03-19-2008 | 10:26 AM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Has anyone in the US been able to do a software or hardware upgrade on their COMAND to get TV signals over the air?

Alternatively, has anyone replaced their COMAND with another unit that would allow this? I would be willing to consider doing so to get a better Nav unit than the sorry one on MB's.
Old 03-19-2008 | 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by oinick
I would be willing to consider doing so to get a better Nav unit than the sorry one on MB's.

I'm full of ditto's today and agree completely about the NAV. As much as I love my 550, I can't believe how horrible the NAV is.

I'd like to buy one of those little Garmin systems, but how embarrassing would that be to put into my GL?
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I'd like to buy one of those little Garmin systems, but how embarrassing would that be to put into my GL?
Garmin's got a nuvi on sale at Costco for four bills. It's the unit I used (the 680) and I really like it. I do not, however, use it in the GL, it's for rentals and loaners when I travel.

STP