GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Thule Atlantis Cargo carrier on factory racks

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL 320 CDI, 2005 M3, 2006 A3
Originally Posted by jdbassman
I just picked up the Thule Atlantis 1800 today in silver to match our silver 320cdi... remaining decision on the Benz vs. Thule crossbars

Does anyone have the 450R or 450 crossrails on their GL with pictures?
No pics, but we have the 1800 and the 450R crossbars and it works great.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
So I was thinking of getting one of the Thule boxes, Atlantis 2100 or 1800 but my 550 doesn't have the cross-bars. I think the chrome ones from MB were $300. Should I see bout getting these or are the Thule bars better?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
MKW

08 GL450
Our Thule 1800 Atlantis XT not only works/fits well and looks so sleek , but it also fits ( have retailer toss/recycle its shipping box ) inside the GL with middle seats down should you not have time/need to roof mount it after buying it !
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by MKW
Our Thule 1800 Atlantis XT not only works/fits well and looks so sleek , but it also fits ( have retailer toss/recycle its shipping box ) inside the GL with middle seats down should you not have time/need to roof mount it after buying it !
Do you have M-B cross-bars or did you buy the Thule stuff to mount it to the roof? If so, which Thule mounting system? Good to know about the ability to fit inside although I'm going to use mine probably 3-4 times per year and will end up mounting each time before the trip because of low garage clearance.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM

'08 GL450 (P II, ORP, Keyless Go)
Originally Posted by Devil Red
Do you have M-B cross-bars or did you buy the Thule stuff to mount it to the roof? If so, which Thule mounting system? Good to know about the ability to fit inside although I'm going to use mine probably 3-4 times per year and will end up mounting each time before the trip because of low garage clearance.
The Thule Atlantis racks have a claw system that will grab onto the MB (manufactured by Thule) crossbars. You won't need any additional mounting hardware. Also, if you go to the Thule website, you can get a kit to change the lock core on the carrier, so it uses the same key as the roof rack bar.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by Columbia GL450
The Thule Atlantis racks have a claw system that will grab onto the MB (manufactured by Thule) crossbars. You won't need any additional mounting hardware. Also, if you go to the Thule website, you can get a kit to change the lock core on the carrier, so it uses the same key as the roof rack bar.
I don't have the M-B crossbars and wondered if it made any difference if I should go get the M-B from the dealer or just get them from Thule?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM

2009 GL450, 06 Triumph Speed Triple, 07 Triumph Speedmaster
I don't have the M-B crossbars and wondered if it made any difference if I should go get the M-B from the dealer or just get them from Thule?
From what I understand, the OEM basic load bars are actually made by Thule. Probably why you can get the spare keys from them. I have both, Thule I used on previous vehicles, and the basic load bars. The MB bars have more mass and I think are sturdier. Although I never had any issues with the Thule-branded bars. The new clamping systems, I have the Boxter 611, are great and the it seems like they hold on to the larger bars with more assurance.

Just my 2c. Hope it helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
I was able to get a slightly used OEM chrome set from someone I know who works at the dealer for $150. They look pretty good on there and now it's just a matter of deciding on the Atlantis model to go on top.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM

I was able to get a slightly used OEM chrome set from someone I know who works at the dealer for $150. They look pretty good on there and now it's just a matter of deciding on the Atlantis model to go on top.
Have you considered this one?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...cargo-box.html

Just got back from a 2300 mile trip with it on a top and a full load most of the time and I managed 18.9 mpg in mixed driving (mostly hwys in Michigan). Never took the box off. It's fairly low-profile.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by Josey92
Have you considered this one?
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...cargo-box.html

Just got back from a 2300 mile trip with it on a top and a full load most of the time and I managed 18.9 mpg in mixed driving (mostly hwys in Michigan). Never took the box off. It's fairly low-profile.
You have a 550 or 450? I doubt our 550 could do 19 mixed unless their was a 50-mph tailwind and the whole trip was downhill I'm using some credit-card points to get this box and have enough for the 1800 or 2100 Atlantis in silver, which matches the truck. I don't have enough points yet for the one you have and want it for our first trip in 2+ weeks.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM

You have a 550 or 450? I doubt our 550 could do 19 mixed unless their was a 50-mph tailwind and the whole trip was downhill I'm using some credit-card points to get this box and have enough for the 1800 or 2100 Atlantis in silver, which matches the truck. I don't have enough points yet for the one you have and want it for our first trip in 2+ weeks.
I have a 450 and believe me, I am surprised to have gotten that since I have not been able to get anything over 16.5 previously on the same trip taken twice before. I think it might have to do with the fact that we only had the box on the top instead of the all the other toys we normally take with us. Oh, and if you've ever been through PA on rte 80, you know that it's definitely not downhill all the way

Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I have the 1800 and wish I'd gone with the 2100.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I went with the Boxter which is 1800 and a larger vehicle (the 450; I used to drive a Honda Pilot) and no matter how much more room I have I manage to fill it to capacity. What you don't see in that pic are the kid's bikes inside the cargo area as well as all my riding gear for my Speed Triple, and a few other things. There always seems to be a birthday party or two celebrated when we are in Mi, usually for my kids, and we end up bringing even more stuff back with us.

Last edited by Josey92; 01-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Sounds like your next rig should be a Freightliner 18 wheeler!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I'm going to go with the 2100 because there isn't any reason to get the smaller box right now. I don't have any current plans for something to ride along side the box so the extra width and length won't matter. Like Josey said, you always find a way to use up the extra space so might as well start with more...
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
MKW

08 GL450
I'm going to go with the 2100 because there isn't any reason to get the smaller box right now. I don't have any current plans for something to ride along side the box so the extra width and length won't matter. Like Josey said, you always find a way to use up the extra space so might as well start with more...
If we didn't have to travel with a teenaged daughter , we wouldn't even need the Thule box . Example : NINE jackets for our ski trip 2 weeks ago ( of course she only wore two of them but god forbid if she were spotted wearing the same one two different days by a friend ).
Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by MKW
If we didn't have to travel with a teenaged daughter , we wouldn't even need the Thule box . Example : NINE jackets for our ski trip 2 weeks ago ( of course she only wore two of them but god forbid if she were spotted wearing the same one two different days by a friend ).
I hear ya, my daughter's 8 and the handwriting's on the wall so I might as well get the bigger box...
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

450 gl
MB crossbars vs Yakima crossbars

Should I get the mb crossbars or are the Yakima crossbars just a good? Will there be a safety issue with Yakima bars vs mb?
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by lspepper
Should I get the mb crossbars or are the Yakima crossbars just a good? Will there be a safety issue with Yakima bars vs mb?
Now that I have the MB cross-bars on I could see why someone might want the wider bars offered by Thule or Yakima. The factory chrome bars I have now look good and can stay up there permanently, but you give up some width if that matters. I think they were recomending the 54" Thule bars and the actual mounting/carrying area is almost that full width. Since the MB bars mount inset of the side rails and curve up at first, you probably have 34 or so inches of "flat" surface vs. 50+ of the others. In my case only putting the 36 wide Thule 2100 up there won't make any difference.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
OK, so my Atlantis 2100 has arrived and is still in the box. Due to garage clearance issues, I'm only going to put it on before we go away in 10 days. Does anyone know if the claws on the bottom of the carrier are adjustable fore and aft or I'll have to position the factory bars in a specific place to match claw location? It's been damn cold and hopefully I'll get some time for a trial run before I have to put it on for the trip. TIA
Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 550
Originally Posted by Josey92
I have a 450 and believe me, I am surprised to have gotten that since I have not been able to get anything over 16.5 previously on the same trip taken twice before. I think it might have to do with the fact that we only had the box on the top instead of the all the other toys we normally take with us. Oh, and if you've ever been through PA on rte 80, you know that it's definitely not downhill all the way

Josey92 - what an awesome pic! Now that's how you put a GL to good use! Any advice on the motorcycle "rack"? Where did you get it? How does it work? Is it easy to get the bike on and off? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM

OK, so my Atlantis 2100 has arrived and is still in the box. Due to garage clearance issues, I'm only going to put it on before we go away in 10 days. Does anyone know if the claws on the bottom of the carrier are adjustable fore and aft or I'll have to position the factory bars in a specific place to match claw location? It's been damn cold and hopefully I'll get some time for a trial run before I have to put it on for the trip. TIA
Hey Dev, if it's anything like the Boxter 611 than it has a fore and aft adjustment. When you get it out of the box, try to get the claws as close to the middle of the slots that it move in as possible and measure the distance (can't remember if the install instructions already have that measurement). Depending on the current position of your crossbars right now, you may need to adjust it. Since you have the ability to move the claws fore and aft, it doesn't have to be exact.

Good luck!

Last edited by Josey92; 02-02-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: carification on getting the "claws in the middle"
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by slim nicky
Josey92 - what an awesome pic! Now that's how you put a GL to good use! Any advice on the motorcycle "rack"? Where did you get it? How does it work? Is it easy to get the bike on and off? Thanks in advance.
Got the carrier from this place:
http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm

I truly hemmed and hawed with this purchase because there are bigger brands out there like Versahaul that looked like it had better fit and finish. This was all based on pics on the web though. Discount ramps also sells Versahaul and Joe Hauler. I decided to get there product because it met all my needs and was more affordable than the others. It turned out to be a great decision cuz the carrier is stable at speed and was within my budget. Granted I have only used it from NYC to Michigan and back but it logged in a lot of miles on that trip carrying the Speed Triple. And I have also used it to pick up my Speedmaster from the far reaches of Long Island with no problems.

As for ease of use, you can load and unload on your own, but I recommend doing it with a buddy. The day I brought home my Speedmaster, I actually dropped it off the carrier when I was unloading. Not huge damage, but it certainly made me feel like a frickin idiot for not asking for any help.

Greatest thing about this setup is that the Airmatic does a great job of minimizing movement that bothers handling. Not completely gone, but enough that even my wife commented that she could barely tell it was back there.

I also recommend getting the Geza Pro-Stretch cover because it minimizes flapping in the wind that will most other covers will suffer from and scratch up your bike. Without the cover, the debris will kick up and may do a number on your paint. The stretch cover will flap a bit because the bike is sideways, but the material does not scratch your paint.
http://www.gezagear.com/

Hope all this info helps whoever is looking for a set-up like this.

I have no ties to either of these vendors so don't think I am getting any kick-back for mentioning them.

Let me know if you have any other question.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2005 M3, 2006 A3
We've got the 1800, and they are definitely adjustable, about 6" worth.