GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Test Drove the 450 yesterday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D
Test Drove the 450 yesterday

I test drove the 450 at FJ LV. (Buying this as B-day gift to wife). No 320 in B on B so ended up testing the 450 B on B. Wife loves the car!

My tech take:

Pros:
1. Good handing for a big car. Drives like a car said the wife who also test drove the big LC 200 series.
2. Little to no wind noise at 80-90 mph at 215 summerlin beltway
You can actually hear jazz music on 105.7 FM (one of wife's criteria).
3. No squeaks or rattles at normal driving. Very impressive NVH control.
4. "Pleather" as the salesman calls it--is not bad at all. I bet it will last longer than full leather option
5. full size adult can sit comfortably in the 3rd row seat. The salesman assured me that my claustrophobia would be mitigated by the rear sunroof.
6. Acceptable blind spot.
7. Good dash ergonomics and fully adjustable seats.
8. Really surprised by the Alabama workmanship in fit and finish. Later told by the salesman that all GLs in the world are made in Alabama (Euro and asia markets)-- I will do my own DD to confirm that.
9. Wifey's Louis Vuitton bag fits the center console (lol)

Cons:
1. Mushy brake pedal. Perhaps this is the norm in SUVs.
2. Some chassis nose dive on hard braking (60mph to 0mph).
3. Not a fan of electronic shifter. Would prefer floor mounted knob.
4. Plasticky center stack controls. Not acceptable in this class and price range. LC 200 has tons of plastic too.
5. HK sound system not really a significant change from the std. stereo.
6. I test drove at night and felt the light intensity from headlight is lacking. HID?
7. see #7 pro above. Although not an issue for me as I advocate buy-American, some buyers would probably go Audi or other similar brands due to this stigma.
8. tricky command menus. Perhaps would be a non-issue once you spend more time with the car and after RTFM. LC has simpler menus.
9. Poor traction with OEM tires. On the 215 beltway, some grooves on the freeway would necessitate extra steering input. This was also felt on LC 200.
10. Steering slightlly not centered. Not sure if due mostly to road conditions on 215 but it seems wandering to the right The LC 200 did not have this problem. Is there a TSB on alignment?
11. Luggage space almost gone when you have 7 passengers.
12. Sliding piston brakes as opposed to fixed piston caliper brakes. This will eat rotors and pads in no time (personal experience). Would look to upgrade to brembo big brake kit if available. Will probably help cons #1

Recommendation: A buy.

notes: What dealerships do you suggest for a good deal on the 320? We are willing to go out of state.

Last edited by japon; 03-16-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:19 PM

E55
Originally Posted by japon
I test drove the 450 at FJ LV. (Buying this as B-day gift to wife). No 320 in B on B so ended up testing the 450 B on B. Wife loves the car!

My tech take:

Pros:
1. Good handing for a big car. Drives like a car said the wife who also test drove the big LC 200 series.
You can actually hear jazz music on 105.7 FM (one of wife's criteria)
3. "Pleather" as the salesman calls it--is not bad at all. I bet it will last longer than full leather option
4. full size adult can seat comfortably in the 3rd row seat. The salesman assured me that my claustrophobia would be lessened by the rear sunroof.
5. Acceptable blind spot.
6. Good dash ergonomics and fully adjustable seats.
7. Really surprised by the Alabama workmanship in fit and finish. Later told by the salesman that all GLs in the world are made in Alabama (Euro and asia markets)-- I will do my own DD to confirm that.
8. Wifey's Louis Vuitton bag fits the center console (lol)

Cons:
4. Plasticky center stack controls. Not acceptable in this class and price range. LC 200 has tons of plastic too.
6. I test drove at night and felt the light intensity from headlight is lacking. HID?
7. see #7 pro above. Although not an issue for me as I advocate buy-American, some buyers would probably go Audi or other similar brands due to this stigma.
8. tricky command menus. Perhaps would be a non-issue once you spend more time with the car and after RTFM. LC has simpler menus.
9. Poor traction with OEM tires. On the 215 beltway, some grooves on the freeway would necessitate extra steering input. This was also felt on LC 200.
10. Steering slightlly not centered. Not sure if due mostly to road conditions on 215 but it seems wandering to the right The LC 200 did not have this problem. Is there a TSB on alignment?

notes: What dealerships do you suggest for a good deal on the 320? We are willing to go out of state.
Hi Japon,

I live in Las Vegas too. Two weeks ago when I was at FJ they had 4 320 sitting in the basement along with two 550 GLs. I know they had a lot of 450s on the lot. They constantly get GLs so dont worry about the stock. I go into the basement parking lot every two weeks to check their inventory and caught my sales guy lying about how hard GLs are hard to get. FJ has the only MB dealership in Vegas so they tend to rip us whenever possible. If you are looking for a 450 you can get those anywhere for a good discount. The GL 320 is harder to deal with. I would email Utah, AZ, etc. Nevada Jack is a Las Vegas native also and buys all his MB from Colorado.

Which sales guy are you working with over at FJ. I am working with a shady veteran sales guy over there named Donald. I wont be buying from him due to catching him lying to me several times about inventory.

Last edited by TV550; 03-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 PM

300D
Which sales guy are you working with over at FJ. I am working with a shady veteran sales guy over there named Donald. I wont be buying from him due to catching him lying to me several times about inventory.[/QUOTE]

lol about about shady car salesman. Don't you agree that is an oxymoron?

I think the salesman's name was Ric or Rob. Not really in serious buy mode whenever we are at FJ. One time the so-called director of sales said we insulted him when we offered a reasonable price offer to buy.

Yes will go out of state to buy.

Last edited by japon; 03-16-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha

I am a little rushed to address your points but here is a contact for the dealership I buy from.

Greg Weiler 866-711-0429 They are closed on Sunday and his day off is Thursday. A straight shooter and very knowledgeable! Westminster MB just northwest of Denver.

BTW, make sure you get the lighting package to deal with your concern about lighting intensity.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Cons:
12. Sliding piston brakes as opposed to fixed piston caliper brakes. This will eat rotors and pads in no time (personal experience). Would look to upgrade to brembo big brake kit if available. Will probably help cons #1
To go over the "cons" a bit;

#1 - When "emergency" braking, the car adds brake pressure for you. Compared to other SUVs I've driven, it's really good. Compared to some sedans, it requires a bit more movement and pressure for equal stopping performance. Hey, it's a monster!

#6 - There's another thread here regarding replacing the OEM/stock bulbs. I did and was quite satisfied with the results. Or go with the adaptive headlights and get the upgraded system!

#9 - That does not sound like "poor traction" but something I experience in every full-time 4WD vehicle I drive. It's sometimes called "tracking," and it's a common question. That also applies to the feeling of the truck pulling to one side or another, depending on the camber of the road.

Regarding the floor shifter - your wife's LV bag wouldn't fit in the center if that was there, eh?

Good luck, and I'm glad you like the truck!

STP
Old 03-16-2008, 03:44 PM

300D
Regarding the floor shifter - your wife's LV bag wouldn't fit in the center if that was there, eh?

Good luck, and I'm glad you like the truck!

STP[/QUOTE]

Thanks NJ for Greg's number.

STP: Lol about the LV bag. What I meant was it fits inside the center console.

Yes, I will search on the posts regarding replacing the OEM bulbs.

Thanks for all your inputs!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:13 PM

300D
edmunds pricing with P1

Invoice
National Base Price MRSP Invoice TMV Price
A note about advertising fees $53,400 $49,662 $52,341
Regional Adjustment
for Zip Code Change - - $529
Optional Equipment $6,400 $5,952 $6,336
P01 P1: Premium I Package $6,400 $5,952 $6,336
Color Adjustment - - -$122
Obsidian Black Metallic
Destination Charge $825 $825 $825
Total with Options $60,625 $56,439 $59,909

Not sure if I should start negotiating with this price point. Any inputs?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM

2016 GL63 & 2008 S550
What I meant was it fits inside the center console.
That's one small bag.

Good luck with your purchase! The GL's an amazing work of automotive craftsmanship.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63

My tech take:

Pros:
You can actually hear jazz music on 105.7 FM (one of wife's criteria).
3. No squeaks or rattles at normal driving. Very impressive NVH control.
4. "Pleather" as the salesman calls it--is not bad at all. I bet it will last longer than full leather option
5. full size adult can sit comfortably in the 3rd row seat. The salesman assured me that my claustrophobia would be mitigated by the rear sunroof.
That's what I thought too when I sat in the back of a GL550. Occasionally I'll feel a little sick in the back of longer SUVs/vans because of the darkness and kind of tunnel vision when looking forward. I never felt that at all when I was back there.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=#post2633037
6. Acceptable blind spot.
7. Good dash ergonomics and fully adjustable seats.
8. Really surprised by the Alabama workmanship in fit and finish. Later told by the salesman that all GLs in the world are made in Alabama (Euro and asia markets)-- I will do my own DD to confirm that. No need to do your own due diligence. ALL ML-, R-, and GL-Classes are built in Vance, Alabama regardless of market.
9. Wifey's Louis Vuitton bag fits the center console (lol)

Cons:
6. I test drove at night and felt the light intensity from headlight is lacking. HID? Did the 450 you drive have HIDs? HIDs are almost a literal night and day different.
10. Steering slightlly not centered. Not sure if due mostly to road conditions on 215 but it seems wandering to the right The LC 200 did not have this problem. Is there a TSB on alignment? I remember reading about some GLs wandering to the right. I think it was mostly the tires that caused it. What tires did this one have?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Cons:
Yes, the GL brake pedal sucks.

Other big problem for me is the too-narrow seats.

But, I still like mine. It's engine is quieter than the E-class, but everything else on that car is better.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:40 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
I am a little rushed to address your points but here is a contact for the dealership I buy from.

Greg Weiler 866-711-0429 They are closed on Sunday and his day off is Thursday. A straight shooter and very knowledgeable! Westminster MB just northwest of Denver.

BTW, make sure you get the lighting package to deal with your concern about lighting intensity.
If you want HID lights make sure the vehicle has premium package 2 or else its just the regular halogen lights.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Welcome to the board, japon, and good luck with your search.

You have summed up the pros pretty well. As far as your cons -

1. This has been discussed before but not sure how big a deal it really is.

4. At least GL's "plasticky" center stack controls look nice Jokes aside, I don't think that is really the case.

5. Seems to be the consensus.

6. Definitely get P2 which includes HID lights.

7. It has been consensus that GL's fit/finish are really excellent and even mags have noted this.

8. Once you get hang of the soft keys, it is not that bad.

11. With 3rd row up, I can still fit a stroller, grocery bags and some smaller bags. So, while it is not as cavernous as some other SUVs, it does have decent room.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Not sure how much they'd be worth in the lights of Las Vegas, but living in rural Minnesota I really love the corning headlights with the upgraded HID bulbs.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Regarding your evaluation of the car. I completely agree that the HK sound system is not very good (there are others in this forum that will defend it). Regarding the shifter, I did not like it at first but have actually grown to like it. I really don't mind the brake pedal and the car stops very well for something as big as it is and alot better than other SUV's I have owned. Regarding dealership options, if you were going to get a 450 or a 550 I would highly recommend going to Southern California to get it (there are 20+ dealers). It sounds like you are going to get a 320 so I would consider Jack's guy. You might want to consider getting pricing from an out of state dealer and then taking it to Fletcher Jones. That's what I did and although they would not match it exactly they got close enough for me. My thought is that buying it at FJ will pay off if something major goes wrong. I really like there service department so far.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 PM

'07 Mercedes-Benz GL 320 CDI, '93 SL300 24V
I for one can actually defend the HK system ... IMO it's better than the HK in the '05 RR I had. Maybe the stereo system in the GL's delivered i Europe is different than the system in the US GL's, this I don't know, but all tests I've read over here praise the sound of the HK system.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:18 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
I think perspective comes into play with the HK. It exceeds our needs, especially in a diesel SUV.

I would also recommend the PII package. I didn't want it but the vehicle I located had it. Now I am glad it did. The lighting package and the IR glass that comes with the rear AC is great.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM

'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
The PII package with the upgraded HID lights is great, especially with the bi-zenon's. The high beams will light up signs and give oncoming traffice a "sun burn" a 1/4 mile away.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM

'16 528i MSport
I think the xenon lamps are stupendous. The braking can be a bit mushy but our MDX was like that also so it must be a AWD thing...

Personally, I like the open center without the gear knob there...

About the price, I believe we got ours from $250-500 above invoice and that was some time back when the car was fresh out on the market. Now, you should work with invoice
Old 03-17-2008, 05:53 PM

'08 GL 320 CDI (scheduled delivery 3/20/08)
I love my GL 320 CDI......
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
Regarding dealership options, if you were going to get a 450 or a 550 I would highly recommend going to Southern California to get it (there are 20+ dealers).
+1 and if you need any help with SoCal dealers, I can assist as and when possible.

You are going to get a much better deal on 450s then on 550s.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Japon,

When you order your GL, be sure you plan to budget money for an option that is a complete waste of your money... illuminated door sills. The cost will leave a bad taste in your mouth. But, you'll be pleasantly surprised by your enjoyment of such a waste of money.

I'm sure other owners can chime in too that have the sills.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Japon,

When you order your GL, be sure you plan to budget money for an option that is a complete waste of your money... illuminated door sills. The cost will leave a bad taste in your mouth. But, you'll be pleasantly surprised by your enjoyment of such a waste of money.

An outrageous cost for a simple lighted logo on each side of the front doors. Consider the selection carefully. It is as Brian says a "complete waste of your money."

Buy it! It looks great and I would not be without it...:-)
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM

300D
Japon,

Thanks for the tip. Esoteric allusions aside, my wife not knowing the option exists, would want me to install one.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 PM

300D
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
An outrageous cost for a simple lighted logo on each side of the front doors. Consider the selection carefully. It is as Brian says a "complete waste of your money."

Buy it! It looks great and I would not be without it...:-)
2nd Jack. The chrome steps jell well with B on B. It should have been OEM std.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6

I completely agree with Stumble, japon. A budget of around 7K should be enough to get you all the chrome and other options and will also hold your buyer remorse in check for a year or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test Drove the 450 yesterday