GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Cylinder Deactivation

is this technology will be introduced in our future GL, or else as a mod for current ones. which may save some money on current day gas prices.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
I don't think it would work that well with diesel for ignition and compression reasons. As for gas, the savings are likely not worth the effort would be my guess.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
I don't think it would work that well with diesel for ignition and compression reasons. As for gas, the savings are likely not worth the effort would be my guess.
What they do have on the BMW 1-series diesel (at least in the UK) is engine deactivation when the vehicle is stopped for more than a few seconds, and then it uses the glaspak (sp?) battery to run the electrics and air conditioning. I think they should be able to do it with an automatic as well (can you imagine if people in the US drove manual transmissions like they do in Yerrup?). The BMW they raced with a Prius with this technology actually beat the Prius in mileage.

(Was it you who posted that article here?)

STP
Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Dodge 3500 diesel, Jeep Commander
I've got cylinder deactivation in my Jeep Commander Overland, and I don't think its practical. I get dismal mileage anyway, about 15 mpg max, and when more power is needed, and the other 4 cylinders cut in, there is a surge that sometimes spins the tires (and thats hard to do with full-time 4x4 drive). I've seen this system used in Cadillac and it seemed to have the same issues, and the dismal mileage! MB gets even more horsepower from their V8 with none of that extra complexity, and a lot better mileage.
The Overland has a 5 speed automatic, which works well, but still poor mileage.
I don't think this system would work on a diesel very well due to the extreme pressures involved. I think VW tested this on their diesels at one time, but it never made it to production, at least that I know of.

Last edited by dieseldel; 05-29-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:52 PM

C220
Originally Posted by dieseldel
I've got cylinder deactivation in my Jeep Commander Overland, and I don't think its practical. I get dismal mileage anyway, about 15 mpg max, and when more power is needed, and the other 4 cylinders cut in, there is a surge that sometimes spins the tires (and thats hard to do with full-time 4x4 drive). I've seen this system used in Cadillac and it seemed to have the same issues, and the dismal mileage! MB gets even more horsepower from their V8 with none of that extra complexity, and a lot better mileage.
The Overland has a 5 speed automatic, which works well, but still poor mileage.
I don't think this system would work on a diesel very well due to the extreme pressures involved. I think VW tested this on their diesels at one time, but it never made it to production, at least that I know of.
I say "KISS" (keep is simple stupid). That is what a diesel powered GL320 does.