GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

10% Ethanol in Diesel?? In a GL320??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
10% Ethanol in Diesel?? In a GL320??

I have a question for everyone. A Chevron station/convenience store that I sometimes go to, has their diesel fuel hose located in the same pump unit as the fuel hoses for the regular, mid grade and the premium gasoline.

Above the diesel hose is the standard green sticker that explains that it is ultra low sulfur diesel.

Below the diesel hose and below each of the three gasoline hoses is another sticker that says "Up to 10% Ethanol."

At first I thought it was just a mistake under the diesel hose; the guy who was supposed to put the ethanol stickers on the pumps just mistakenly put one under the diesel hose? Because I have never heard of ethanol being added to diesel.

However, today I used that gas station and that ethanol sticker got me thinking so did some research on the internet and I learned that 10% ethanol has been tried in diesel, but as far as I could tell it is not mainstream or the standard. I thought about asking the question at the station when I was there, but I figured the person at the register of the convenience store would not have a clue about it, so I didn't bother.

So my questions are:

1. Is Chevron really selling diesel with up to 10% ethanol?
2. If so, should I avoid it for the GL320?

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
sticker dude was wrong, 'cus adding 10% ethanol would but the fuel out of spec, and it would no longer be diesel.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by gordongl450
So my questions are:

1. Is Chevron really selling diesel with up to 10% ethanol?
2. If so, should I avoid it for the GL320?
The answers are:

1. No.
2. Yes. (See Brocktoon's answer for "why")
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL450
Brocktoon,

I agree with you that in this situation, I "think" the sticker was put under the diesel hose as an error. BUT, there is information on the internet about trials of putting ethanol in diesel. So it is not unheard of.

The GL manual does not make any mention of using ethanol in diesel fuel. It only says to use ultra low sulfur diesel and it warns not to mix gasoline or kerosene with the diesel.

As I said, I beleive that the people who work at the convenience store won't know the answer. I guess I will try to email Chevron and/or find out who the local fuel supplier/distributor is for that station and email them.

I think I will post my question on the diesel forum alos.

Thanks for responding.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Would you put vodka in your chip frying fat and expect some form of improvement? It's a label error, there would be no benefit to the blend, and all sorts of detriments from cetane rating to lubricity.

Also, beware of anything put out by the ethanol industry, they are trying to confuse and befuddle their way into everything, like High Fructose Corn Syrup. Same guys...