GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL450 audio questions(sat, phone, camera?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GL 450
GL450 audio questions(sat, phone, camera?)

Can anyone tell me if the following items can be added with available harnesses if I DON'T have PREMIUM 1? Would like to utilize the existing satellite radio buttons without having to add a portable satellite radio, would like to be able to use the mercedes phone system, and finally is there a possiblity of adding rear camera?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by mswan69
Can anyone tell me if the following items can be added with available harnesses if I DON'T have PREMIUM 1? Would like to utilize the existing satellite radio buttons without having to add a portable satellite radio, would like to be able to use the mercedes phone system, and finally is there a possiblity of adding rear camera?
Do you have factory nav? If so, you can add all that stuff. Nav is a part of PI but you can also get it as a stand alone item if you don't have PI...the best part of the PI is the back up camera, which I don't know whether can be retrofitted except via the MB MFD.

If you do not have nav, it cannot be done (according to my service advisor, who I saw today), and you would be better off buying an after market unit that has nav, bluetooth, and satellite. There are some really slick ones on the market. The MB nav sucks anyway so it is not a big loss to have a car without it. The NUVI works great aftermarket and I 've got a buddy who ignores his factory Nav and uses a NUVI instead.

BTW, regarding the thread on adding a clock to the MFD, my service guy also says that it can't be done, at least on 2007 models like mine.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 PM

ML350 '06
Try contacting Steve (forum member on here) who can pretty much do anything to your benz and it's all OEM stuff as if MB did it themselves. He schedules trips to major cities and I hear he is the best.

I think his recent email address is...
mbenznl@gmail.com

I'm thinking of having him install blutooth on my ML350.