09 delivery date?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
And also, the GL AdBlue is not a "kluge" whatever that may be.
kluge
One entry found

kludge

Main Entry: kludge
Pronunciation: \ˈklüj\
Variant(s): or kluge \ˈklüj, US also & British especially ˈkləj; ˈklü-jē\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1962
: a system and especially a computer system made up of poorly matched components
— kludgy also kludgey \ˈklü-jē, US also & British especially ˈklə-\ adjective
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 AM

C220
You've Answered Your Own Question

So for anyone ordering a GL, it will be an '09.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-x164/248005-2009-gl550-confirmed-date.html
Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
I'll take you up on that one the next time I'm in LA!
Say when. Need to take you to a great Indian place we just discovered in Santa Monica.

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
2010??? You'll be trading in your GL next summer?
I will trade if they have GL with D+ available, as our Patron Saint mentioned. I sure hope that Gods of MB hear him much more louder and clearer then they would hear me If no Distronic for GL by that time then I would keep this one but it would then be used only for hauling 7 and I would get a new daily driver. Only time will tell.........
Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Stumblefoot is correct in that the demand for Distronic was so small the MB dropped it for '09.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Jack, but I think only MBUSA dropped it. Rest of the world can still get it.

Had MB added the Distronic Plus then I am sure the demand would increase greatly. However, D+ is a much more complex system and uses radar for distance control and eliminates the need for Parktronic sensors. I am sure also that adding D+ as an option would be costly on the present models and create competitive pricing problems with other luxury SUV makers.
I couldn't agree more that adding D+ would probably increase demand and am praying that they do so for '10. What I don't understand is how LX/BMW etc. keep offering this but MB is bowing out due to competitive pressures? I can see if they put a restriction that if you want D/D+ you will have to order but totally eliminating it ???????
Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by oknish
Correct me if I'm wrong, Jack, but I think only MBUSA dropped it. Rest of the world can still get it.

I couldn't agree more that adding D+ would probably increase demand and am praying that they do so for '10. What I don't understand is how LX/BMW etc. keep offering this but MB is bowing out due to competitive pressures? I can see if they put a restriction that if you want D/D+ you will have to order but totally eliminating it ???????
Yes...only MBUSA. Definitely had to do with less than 1% of orders with it. Price of $3100 did not promote many sales I am sure. It was also older technology. I would have ordered it had it been an option on the '08 GL550.

MBUSA must purchase vehicles (and options) from MB in Germany and it is MB who sets the prices. I would guess the price of the D+ for US models was more than MBUSA would want to pay because it would boost the MSRP above levels they did not want to exceed. Based on sales of the old D they also probably determined the selection would be small and not worth the effort to redesign the body and all the associated parts to accommodate D+ on any of the models. I don't even know if D+ will be available on the new E in 2010?

Just more of my ramblings Nish...

Last edited by Nevada Jack; 06-13-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Just more of my ramblings Nish...
We can still dream, can't we, Jack?

IMO, sad part is that adaptive cruise control, side proximity sensors, etc. are going to be part of standard safety packages in 5 years and then MB will be behind in safety.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We can still dream, can't we, Jack?

IMO, sad part is that adaptive cruise control, side proximity sensors, etc. are going to be part of standard safety packages in 5 years and then MB will be behind in safety.
I doubt they will fall behind in their concerns for safety which they have led the industry in for so many years. If not D+, perhaps some new technology to surpass that system.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Just a note that the AdBlue models being introduced for MY '09 have never been marketed or used in the US. The AdBlue model adds a element in the exhaust system to the current Bluetec system which utilizes the fluid so the vehicles are legal in all 50 states.

And also, the GL AdBlue is not a "kluge" whatever that may be. I have not checked but the E320 AdBlue model must also have a space allocated for the tank and that space may also be in the space used by the spare tire?

As far as an '08 vs an '09, I would still wait for the '09 as I indicated earlier unless pricing is a key factor. I think the improvements in the '09 are significant enough to wait for it. The key ones being the relocation of the DVD player, the availability of ADSII, the upgraded COMAND and IR Glass and upgraded leather and vented seats in the GL550 model.
Jack some of the E320 Bluetec's for California had AdBlue for 2008 MY. These were lease only vehicles though, you had to return it at the end of the lease.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:27 PM

GL 320CDI
The price for distronic was and is $2,200, not $3,100 as Nevada Jack indicates. It may be older technolgy, but it works great - maintains a specific amount of time (1-2 seconds - user adjustable) between me and the car in front. It is very smart about lane jumpers and can apply 20% braking power to slow the vehicle. The current GL Distronic also uses radar - a single radar unit integrated into the grille MB symbol. The Parktronic sensors are not part of the D system - they are there for front parking assist. I think the D+ system works the same way as my D system except it discriminates a bit better, having two radars.

I tried the newer Distronic+ on an SL and saw no diference in operation, controls or performance (the little wheel specifying hw much distance to maintain had a different configuration, and the on-screen indicators had the word 'plus' after distronic - that was it). Seems like plenty new technology to me.

Also, I had my cop brother-in-law run radar on my truck when the Distronic was on - he couldn't get a good reading - his speed indication went haywire - jumping around. I doubt that was intentional, but now run with the active beam on all the time...

We live in Annapolis, MD and have a farm on the Eastern shore of Virgina that is about 150 miles away, all on four-lane surface roads that have at-grade crossings, multiple speed limit changes, and stop-and-go beach traffic on summer weekends, with a bottleneck at the Chesapeak Bay bridge. We drive both ways most weekends, and those 300 miles make Distronic of any kind a godsend.

Virtually all luxury vehicles are adding this technology - Inifiniti, Acura, Lexus, etc. Very stupid of MB not to keep up. I'd hate to go elsewhere next time, but won't do without it. The new perimeter cameras on the lexus LX are very neat too....
Old 06-13-2008, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by dmfick
The price for distronic was and is $2,200, not $3,100 as Nevada Jack indicates.
I believe price dropped in '08. I can scan and post my sticker, if you would like, which show D at 3150.

It may be older technolgy, but it works great - maintains a specific amount of time (1-2 seconds - user adjustable) between me and the car in front. It is very smart about lane jumpers and can apply 20% braking power to slow the vehicle. The current GL Distronic also uses radar - a single radar unit integrated into the grille MB symbol. The Parktronic sensors are not part of the D system - they are there for front parking assist. I think the D+ system works the same way as my D system except it discriminates a bit better, having two radars.
I believe D maintains a "preset" distance and not time. Yes, it is good about lane jumpers but does get "confused" at curves. I haven't tried D+ so can't comment on it but I believe that D+ can maintain speeds much lower than D.

Virtually all luxury vehicles are adding this technology - Inifiniti, Acura, Lexus, etc. Very stupid of MB not to keep up. I'd hate to go elsewhere next time, but won't do without it. The new perimeter cameras on the lexus LX are very neat too....
I don't think MB is dropping it all the way. They are just not offering it on GLs, I believe. I personally hate the perimeter cameras since they provide "too much information". I do like MB's implementation of side alert which simply shows an ! in an orange triangle in the side mirror of the corresponding side. Enforces the good habit of checking your mirrors and the discreet but hard to miss sign does get your attention.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
If not D+, perhaps some new technology to surpass that system.
From your lips to D God's ears, Jack I am OK as long as they offer it in GL, else, I will have to justify a newer MB "model". It won't be purty, let me just say.

And, Jack, please don't tell her about the deal you and your wife had
Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 PM

07 GL420cdi, 07 ML63, 07 CL500 and more
I believe D maintains a "preset" distance and not time. Yes, it is good about lane jumpers but does get "confused" at curves. I haven't tried D+ so can't comment on it but I believe that D+ can maintain speeds much lower than D.
D goes from 30km/h - 20mph to 180km/h - 120mph
D+ from 0-? I would believe its 180 / 120 as well, but I'v mainly been driving my GL420 and my fathers ML63, he hasn't been to keen on me driving the CL550 with D+ So I honestly don't remember...

Regarding the distance the D keeps, it must be time related, since the distance changes with the speed, the faster you go, the longer distance D keeps

Last edited by mortenmol; 06-14-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
I believe price dropped in '08. I can scan and post my sticker, if you would like, which show D at 3150.

I don't think MB is dropping it all the way. They are just not offering it on GLs, I believe. I personally hate the perimeter cameras since they provide "too much information". I do like MB's implementation of side alert which simply shows an ! in an orange triangle in the side mirror of the corresponding side. Enforces the good habit of checking your mirrors and the discreet but hard to miss sign does get your attention.
We just can't get Distronic here in the states folks. A family friend over in the UK has a GL with Distronic.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The price for distronic was and is $2,200, not $3,100 as Nevada Jack indicates. It may be older technolgy, but it works great - maintains a specific amount of time (1-2 seconds - user adjustable) between me and the car in front. It is very smart about lane jumpers and can apply 20% braking power to slow the vehicle. The current GL Distronic also uses radar - a single radar unit integrated into the grille MB symbol. The Parktronic sensors are not part of the D system - they are there for front parking assist. I think the D+ system works the same way as my D system except it discriminates a bit better, having two radars.
The D+ system uses both a long and short range radar and eliminates the Parktronic sensors in the bumpers. It also allows the system to bring the car to a complete stop. I think it is superior to the older one but never having either one available at the time of ordering, I would be happy just to have it.

The price when I ordered my GL320 CDI was $3100 and apparently the price has been reduced since. The price for the D+ on my S550 was I think $2850 or so but was not available due to inventory shortages when I ordered it.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
The D+ system uses both a long and short range radar and eliminates the Parktronic sensors in the bumpers. It also allows the system to bring the car to a complete stop. I think it is superior to the older one but never having either one available at the time of ordering, I would be happy just to have it.
I've seen this working on the S-Class in England, on Top Gear. It's seven and a half minutes, but you can watch it stop the car. (Just under 2 minutes in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Sd4x9VSAw

STP
Old 06-14-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by mortenmol
Regarding the distance the D keeps, it must be time related, since the distance changes with the speed, the faster you go, the longer distance D keeps
morten - in my GL, Distronic is controlled by a wheel on cruise control stalk. When I move the wheel, the Distronic screen displays a solid line indicating how much distance would be between my car and car in front. From what I have seen, D just changes speed to maintain the distance specified between my car and car in front. I don't see any time specifications????
Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 PM

morten - in my GL, Distronic is controlled by a wheel on cruise control stalk. When I move the wheel, the Distronic screen displays a solid line indicating how much distance would be between my car and car in front. From what I have seen, D just changes speed to maintain the distance specified between my car and car in front. I don't see any time specifications????
The faster you go, the longer the GL keeps from the car in front of you. You don't really set a distance, but you can specify if you want it closer or not. Thats why I feel, that it some how is time related. We learn here while taking the drivers license, that you have to keep two seconds between you and the car in front of you, which is more or less what the gl does, when ordered to stay as close to the car in front as possible, regardless of your speed
Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
The faster you go, the longer the GL keeps from the car in front of you. You don't really set a distance, but you can specify if you want it closer or not. Thats why I feel, that it some how is time related. We learn here while taking the drivers license, that you have to keep two seconds between you and the car in front of you, which is more or less what the gl does, when ordered to stay as close to the car in front as possible, regardless of your speed
Check out the Cruise Control page in the online manual. Distronic keeps a set distance by controlling the speed to match the speed of vehicle in front. You can specify a minimum distance to a maximum distance and D will work to keep that distance.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Check out the Cruise Control page in the online manual. Distronic keeps a set distance by controlling the speed to match the speed of vehicle in front. You can specify a minimum distance to a maximum distance and D will work to keep that distance.
But it's not a static distance, it changes with your speed, regardless of the setting. Try putting the mfd on the distronic, and drive behind some one, from low to a higher speed, the line indicating the distance being kept will get longer when you go faster and shorter when you go slower, I will happily document this for you.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
But it's not a static distance, it changes with your speed, regardless of the setting. Try putting the mfd on the distronic, and drive behind some one, from low to a higher speed, the line indicating the distance being kept will get longer when you go faster and shorter when you go slower, I will happily document this for you.
You have me wondering if Distronic for US is different then the one for EU. Would you mind documenting what you see and I will try to capture mine too. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, only do this if you can do it safely.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM

1972 Chevy Vega 2300 - Panel Express
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Jack some of the E320 Bluetec's for California had AdBlue for 2008 MY. These were lease only vehicles though, you had to return it at the end of the lease.
The MY'08 E-320 BlueTEC's leased in California do not have AdBlue tanks.
They have the "BIN-8" diesel which uses an oxidizing catalytic converter and a particulate filter. While this reduces NOx and smog, the levels are not low enough to sell outright in the CARB states. The MY'08 "California" cars are a special fixed number of cars that were lease only so that they can be returned prior to their cumulative polluting weight reaching a specified level.

The MY'09 R, ML and GL-Class BlueTEC's have "BIN-5" certification. These do meet CARB standards and can be sold in all 50 states. While the system includes an oxidizing catalytic converter and a particulate filter, it also uses urea injection upstream of the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR). The result is over 85% reduction in N02 and N03 emissions.

On the subject of DISTRONIC: MBUSA has tried to sell this system on the SUV's for several years now and nobody is ordering it!
MBUSA wanted D+ on the trucks as well, but it is just wasn't developed.
Your argument that DISTRONIC is offered in other regions, fails to recognize that 1844 euros ($2850) is not much when buying a 90K euro ($140K) car.

In the U.S. DITRONIC is $650 cheaper than in Europe yet <1% of all GL customers order it. Its just not a U.S. required option.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Originally Posted by GL Fahrer
On the subject of DISTRONIC: MBUSA has tried to sell this system on the SUV's for several years now and nobody is ordering it!
It is probably a bit ahead of it's time but I can't see how Distronic will not gain traction in the near future as all manufacturers are offering it. I do take hope that maybe D+ will be available down the road.

Your argument that DISTRONIC is offered in other regions, fails to recognize that 1844 euros ($2850) is not much when buying a 90K euro ($140K) car.

In the U.S. DITRONIC is $650 cheaper than in Europe yet <1% of all GL customers order it. Its just not a U.S. required option.
2 things come to my mind here -
  1. Based on UK costs given, Distronic adds on another 2% to cost of a GL. Using published prices in US, Distronic adds on 2.8% to cost of GL 550. I really doubt .8% of a difference in price is going to bring many more customers across the pond.
  2. If Distronic is available as an option on GL in other-then-US regions, then why can't it be available as a "special order only" option in US? It's already designed for the car but is not put an any US destined car till a order for it is in.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 959 Likes on 576 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
The MY'08 E-320 BlueTEC's leased in California do not have AdBlue tanks.
They have the "BIN-8" diesel which uses an oxidizing catalytic converter and a particulate filter. While this reduces NOx and smog, the levels are not low enough to sell outright in the CARB states. The MY'08 "California" cars are a special fixed number of cars that were lease only so that they can be returned prior to their cumulative polluting weight reaching a specified level.

The MY'09 R, ML and GL-Class BlueTEC's have "BIN-5" certification. These do meet CARB standards and can be sold in all 50 states. While the system includes an oxidizing catalytic converter and a particulate filter, it also uses urea injection upstream of the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR). The result is over 85% reduction in N02 and N03 emissions.

Thanks for the explanation re: AD-Blue for the '09 GL 320 CDI.

A quick question: do you mean that the '09 will be 85% cleaner NO2 and NO3 wise than an '08 simply because of the urea injection system, or 85% cleaner than a diesel without the other emission controls that the '08s already have?

TIA,
Bish
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by thebishman
Thanks for the explanation re: AD-Blue for the '09 GL 320 CDI.

A quick question: do you mean that the '09 will be 85% cleaner NO2 and NO3 wise than an '08 simply because of the urea injection system, or 85% cleaner than a diesel without the other emission controls that the '08s already have?

TIA,
Bish
Good question. The MY'09 GL320 BlueTEC system with AdBlue reduces NOx >80% more than the current GL320 CDI. I believe it is half that with the "Non-AdBlue" E320 BlueTEC (which is why the E320 BT is not CARB qualified)
Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 AM

2 things come to my mind here -
  1. Based on UK costs given, Distronic adds on another 2% to cost of a GL. Using published prices in US, Distronic adds on 2.8% to cost of GL 550. I really doubt .8% of a difference in price is going to bring many more customers across the pond.

2. If Distronic is available as an option on GL in other-then-US regions, then why can't it be available as a "special order only" option in US? It's already designed for the car but is not put an any US destined car till a order for it is in.

DISTRONIC wasn't developed for the U.S. version of the GL550.

Adding DISTRONIC to a $60K GL450 adds 3.6% to the price of the car. If MBUSA could add DISTRONIC to a 320 or 450 for only 2% they would certainly have sold more.

Why can't it be special ordered?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 delivery date?