Scorpion Zero Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320CDI, C6 Corvette, 1969 Corvair Convertible
Scorpion Zero Tires

Does anyone that has the Pirelli Scorpion Zero 19" tires on there GL have any reports of experience with these tires in snow or off-road? Unlike some, my GL replaced my former pickup, which was my hunting vehicle, and now the GL has to be my hunting vehicle, meaning it will go off road. I certainly wish that Mercedes would have made available the off-road package with low range on the GL320, but they didn't so I will have to make due. I go to NW Nebraska in November, and we can run into snow, both on the roadway, and off. The area we hunt is grazing land with deep pine covered canyons and open ridgetops. I will be going up and down these canyons, through creeks, etc. I am wondering is anyone has experience with these tires off road they might like to share. I was looking into a second set of more aggressive tires for my hunting trips, but I can't find an aggressive set of 19's. If the Scorpion Zero's don't work, I may be forced to by a set of 18" Mercedes wheels and by a set of more aggressive tires in that size, as they do make them in 18's. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM

'08 320 CDI
Similar Situation

I have NOT triesdthe Perelli's. But, when I was looking at 19" tires (there are not many options) they appeared to be the best option in that size. Going to 18" wheels gives you a huge number of options, including some true A/T tires. Call around your local tire stores, especially the ones close to the MB dealership, where I live there were two places with basically new 18" GL wheels, and they would part with them for approx ~100 a piece if you also bought new tires (maybe a little less with face-to-face negotiations)
The other advantage of 18" is that you can run a little taller tire. I am going to order some 255/70 R18 Dura Grappler's and see if they fit (which they should) this is a 32" tire, which is about 1.5" larger than stock, but with a slighly narrower profile so it should claer the upper ball-joint assembly.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by chieftam
The area we hunt is grazing land with deep pine covered canyons and open ridgetops. I will be going up and down these canyons, through creeks, etc.
What'd be very cool is if you could have someone video tape you on your way out and in to show off the abilities of the CDI (and to make people aware that these are, ultimately, good off-highway vehicles that should be used for such purpose).

STP
Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 PM

07 GL420cdi, 07 ML63, 07 CL500 and more
I went offroading with the michelin Diamaris, and they were def. the weak point, not bad, but no way near the capabilities of those A/T my friend was using. They were the ones dragging the GL down, no problems keepding up with the DISCIII on true A/T tires.
However, since I need at least 19" to clear the brakes I don't have many options for a true off road tire
Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by mortenmol
I went offroading with the michelin Diamaris, and they were def. the weak point, not bad, but no way near the capabilities of those A/T my friend was using. They were the ones dragging the GL down, no problems keepding up with the DISCIII on true A/T tires.
However, since I need at least 19" to clear the brakes I don't have many options for a true off road tire
I know BF Goodrich used to make a "Moab Edition" tire that was a true rock crawler, never ever would be the weak link in an off-road situation, but I don't know if either they still make it or if it comes in our size(s).

Just a thought. For real honest-to-goodness off-roading.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 AM

07 GL420cdi, 07 ML63, 07 CL500 and more
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
I know BF Goodrich used to make a "Moab Edition" tire that was a true rock crawler, never ever would be the weak link in an off-road situation, but I don't know if either they still make it or if it comes in our size(s).

Just a thought. For real honest-to-goodness off-roading.
After posting I found these, however I then need another set of 20" rims, since I often drive 120mph+ and I really don't think I'd like these tires doing that kind of speed.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=11
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=10
They are only a bit larger than stock: 32 inch and stock 30,8

Last edited by mortenmol; 06-17-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL320CDI, C6 Corvette, 1969 Corvair Convertible
I will try and get some pictures and/or video of some of the off-roading I do in Nebraska when I am hunting in November. Beautiful place, and the places we go really do need 4x4, and that can be tricky if we get heavy snow or mud. The old Ford F250 worked OK, but many places required 4x4 due to stiffness of rear suspension causing a lot of bouncing and loss of traction. I don't think that will be a problem with the GL suspension. I may attempt this with the Scorpion tires, but I will have to hope for fairly dry weather as I don't think these will clear mud and I'm not too excited to use them in snow as even Pirelli doesn't claim that they are useful for those conditions. With the right tire, I am not too concerned about a lack of low range, as the diesel low end torque and low ratio of 1st gear in the tranny should get me most places. I will probably end up buying a take-off set of MB 18" wheels (got a line on a set now for $300.00) and then buying a true set of AT or MT tires just to put on for the hunting trip. There are lots of choices of those tires in 18". I am happy with the Scorpions for everyday here in Texas, so they will be my normal tire as long as I can get some decent mileage out of them. Knowing my luck, as soon as I buy another set of wheels and tires, some manufacturer will come out with a set of true AT or MT in 19". Oh well.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:59 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Scorpions are fine on dirt and mud. I haven’t tried them in snow. I don’t imagine they’re that good in snow. You’re going to enjoy a much smoother ride off-road vs. a pickup.