GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

cost of service A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
cost of service A

My GL450 is going in for service A. What should this cost around? Sounds like a glorified oil change.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I would say around 200 bucks.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 PM

GL450
Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense. $100 for the oil change and another $100 for the rest of the inspection plus fluid top offs.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:12 AM

2008 Barolo Red GL450, P1, 19" pkg, ipod, ill. door sills, running boards, trailer hitch, keyless go
Mine was $125
Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
$185
Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM

GL450
MB of SF told me it would be about $260. They are doing the trailer hitch recall and rear entertainment software update what ever that is. They will also look into my squeeky brakes at parking lot speeds.

Got a ML350 loaner. It actually feels quicker in city driving even with the v6. I looked up the weight difference, 575lbs, aha. I checked on the ML's mileage and it read 14mpg. Assuming the ML has seen primarily city driving, that's about what I get in my GL. That's a big assumption though. Inside it feels alot like the GL. Even looking into the back, it doesn't seem that much smaller. Some of the nice trim up front like the faux leather dash and pads above the door handles are missing. Non-hk sound actually sounded just fine. Usually stock stereos are really bad. I couldn't find the hatch opener button so I couldn't open it up. Just kidding.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
$206 for Service A @ 9,500 miles. Dealer is also doing trailer hitch recall, but has a 6 week appointment backlog.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM

GL450
Thanks everyone. Service A ended up costing $260 of which $88 was parts. Looks like I paid a small premium but not worth haggling over. It's always interesting people watching the other customers dropping off their cars for service at bmw of sf. Lots of older women dressed in gaudy designer clothes and accessories willing to pay mercedes benz prices for mercedes benz service. No wonder they get away with charging a bit more.

So far squeeky brakes are fine now. They removed some tree sap and lubed the brakes (hmm, removed sticky stuff and applied slippery stuff). I'll never use the trailer hitch but that recall was done.

Warning to those doing the rear seat entertainment software update, IT CLEARS YOUR MEMORY!. So don't take a roadtrip immediately after expecting to find your address history. I asked what the software update did but did not get a clear answer. Something about repairing a glitch that I never experienced. Google found this . . .Model 164 VIN Range A249659 to A315197 Model 251 VIN Range A057022 to A064910
Model Year 2008 Equipped with Option Code 864 (Rear Seat Entertainment)
Rear Seat Entertainment Systems Displays Do Not Power On, No Picture or Completely Inop

One more thing. After listening to the standard stereo in the ML loaner, I thought my HK system in my GL didn't sound as good. For pop and rock music, does the standard setting sound better than the logic7 or is it just me?
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Check this out...

I took my 550 in for a variety of issues, including service A. Was told by the SA that the cost will be $395. Are you kidding me? I told him that was outrageous compared to what I found here on the forum. He could've cared less and said that his prices are the lowest in town (3 MB dealerships in metro Denver).

So, my question to the forum is what other options exist for getting these "required" services done in the future? He said the next service will run about $650. Do I have to take the GL to an MB dealer, or can you take it to a private mechanic to have the work done and maintain the warranty?

If anyone has specific Colorado recommendations, I'd love to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:23 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by Stumblefoot
Check this out...

I took my 550 in for a variety of issues, including service A. Was told by the SA that the cost will be $395. Are you kidding me? I told him that was outrageous compared to what I found here on the forum. He could've cared less and said that his prices are the lowest in town (3 MB dealerships in metro Denver).

So, my question to the forum is what other options exist for getting these "required" services done in the future? He said the next service will run about $650. Do I have to take the GL to an MB dealer, or can you take it to a private mechanic to have the work done and maintain the warranty?

If anyone has specific Colorado recommendations, I'd love to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance!
I'd first call the other two local dealers and specifically ask what they charge for service A on a GL. Based on what others were paying I thought I was getting screwed. $395 for an oil change and inspection seems really high unless it included out warranty work you requested. I really like verde brook btw.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by 85mm
I'd first call the other two local dealers and specifically ask what they charge for service A on a GL. Based on what others were paying I thought I was getting screwed. $395 for an oil change and inspection seems really high unless it included out warranty work you requested. I really like verde brook btw.
Thanks 85.

As soon as I posted my rant, I called the other dealer like you said and found out they charge $206. So much for my SA's claim of being the lowest price in town. Anyway, I called my SA back and told him what I had found out and that if he wants to keep my business long-term, then he's going to have to adjust his price. He called back and said he would have to talk to the Service Manager when he gets in Tuesday.

So, from my perspective, if the dealer where I bought the vehicle doesn't adjust their price to a competitive offer, then I'll just take it in for service elsewhere in the future.

I love new cars/trucks. I just wish the dealer experience was better.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
So, from my perspective, if the dealer where I bought the vehicle doesn't adjust their price to a competitive offer, then I'll just take it in for service elsewhere in the future.
This reminds me of a story from the late 80's here in Scottsdale ...

The Swiss Consulate owned the Rolls Royce dealership here in town. Well, a fellow with a Corniche came in to have his muffler fixed. They told him it would be [I'll say] $6,000 because it was a RR muffler, hand made car, yadda yadda. Anyway, he's driving north on I-17 towards Flagstaff when the damned muffler falls right off. He calls the tow truck driver and when the guy gets there he complains about how he spent so much to get the muffler replaced, etc. etc. The tow truck driver points out the "Midas" stamp on the muffler.

Sadly, it's that 97% of mechanics who make the other 3% look bad.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
I am surprised by the large difference too. I can understand a dealership charging more if there are no other dealers close by. But in a metro area such as Denver.....wow.

I love new cars/trucks. I just wish the dealer experience was better.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
The GL is back from the dealer and they went one step further. They not only met the other dealer's price for Service A, they rotated the tires for free. It was what I would expect of a dealer that wants to be recognized as the best. Their gesture will keep me returning in the future.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by 85mm
My GL450 is going in for service A. What should this cost around? Sounds like a glorified oil change.
Just got my GL 320 back from a Service A at a cost of $245 today. They also did the trailer hitch recall, and fixed my airmatic, which was busted so the left front wheel kind of slouched and made a hissing sound.

The car has 30K miles on it and they called me and told me it needed new front and rear brakes. Silly me, I just said "okay" not knowing that front and rear pads, rear rotors, and a flush, with labor, would be $1100!!

I love my GL, but that makes the BMW, with included maintenance, look really damn good!!

Now I regret having bought the 6 yr/100K mile extended warranty. No wonder they can sell it so cheap if a set of brakes runs this much!!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oinick
I love my GL, but that makes the BMW, with included maintenance, look really damn good!!

Now I regret having bought the 6 yr/100K mile extended warranty. No wonder they can sell it so cheap if a set of brakes runs this much!!
Hey, Oinick, there's something my Grandpappy used to say and it was true then and it's true now; ain't no such thing as a free lunch! When you buy a car with "included maintenance," you pay for it. Granted, it's an incentive for them to make the car more reliable, but only to a point.

As for the $1100 brake job, the one thing that always, always cost me money on my first (and only other) Mercedes - a used 1986 560SEL - was the brakes. I never took it to the dealership either, but to a really great guy (no longer around) who would do things like fix the SRS light by unscrewing it (to save the several thousand dollars of upgrading to the newer airbag module, because he felt it had about a 95% chance of working - the point? He wasn't trying to rip me off).

You could try and find someone who'll do the brakes outside of MB in the future (I'm thinking about it myself) and if they're good they'll almost certainly save you money. Thanks for the heads-up on that, too.

STP
Old 08-08-2008, 06:08 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
You could try and find someone who'll do the brakes outside of MB in the future (I'm thinking about it myself) and if they're good they'll almost certainly save you money...
STP
I have thought about having a non MB dealer do work but I have a 100k mile extended warranty. I don't want to give MBUSA any reason whatsoever to deny a claim after the manufacturer's warranty goes off in the next year. After the extended warranty goes off, I'm thinking strongly about an Escalade Hybrid. Better mileage, cheaper fuel than diesel, and frankly nicer amenities. Again I will get an extended warranty with the new technology in that powertrain.

I would still get diesel today if were buying a GL...don't forget the $2500 up front lower price over a 450. Besides, when my 320 was sick, they gave me a 450 to drive. I honestly like the way the diesel drives better than the gas model.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM

2007 GL 320 CDI, 2008 M5
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Hey, Oinick, there's something my Grandpappy used to say and it was true then and it's true now; ain't no such thing as a free lunch!
STP
I agree absolutely. However, I am a long term BMW owner, and it sure is nice to have no maintenance costs for the first 50K miles. Now BMWUSA even lets you buy a maintenance package that goes out to 100K as long as you also buy an extended warranty. Well, that is true unless you buy an M5, which you can neither get an extended maintenance package on or buy as a certified pre-owned model.

Does anyone know if you can buy an AMG model with a CPO warranty out to 100K miles?

Frankly I was disappointed to learn that I can't buy my wife's M5 at the end of our lease as a CPO. Kind of gives me pause about the reliability of those motors.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by oinick
Frankly I was disappointed to learn that I can't buy my wife's M5 at the end of our lease as a CPO. Kind of gives me pause about the reliability of those motors.
I agree that that is highly unusual. I'd think they'd be more than happy to CPO a vehicle that is on a lease and they maintain. I assume that's just the M5? Or is it across the M line?

I will say that if I could have gotten a mid-size same-generation-motor deisel other than the 320, I would've done it. Don't think I don't adore the GL, it's a good looking car that covers all my needs and after 14 days of driving an ML350 I'm thrilled to be back in it. I found the ML fine in most ways, but the steering was very light and the ride much busier. The GLs heft is actually a comfort to me, even with heavier steering. I didn't feel anywhere near as stable in the ML as I did in the GL.

As for Caddy, I agree that they're good looking trucks on many levels. And they have a lot of toys. But no matter how nice the US-company vehicle is, I just get a feeling in it of cheapness, like it was put together by a guy who knows his union job is safe. In a Japanese vehicle, I feel like it was made by someone who wants me to see how tightly the doors fit without touching, all the way around, and that I could open the engine after 100,000 miles and find almost no wear. In a German vehicle (even VW to some extent), I feel like I'm in a vehicle where someone actually gave a crap (even in the US built ones) that it feels safe, secure, was made to drive somewhere other than just big, open, straight US highways, and will do so with efficiency and style.

British vehicles just make me fart.

STP
Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
My schedule A is tomorrow.. I think it's gonna be a deal especially since I'll beat on their loaner so much that I'm sure to be the one who comes out ahead this time...
Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
MB won again...

Got brown toyota as loaner and total cost of schedule was 400 bucks..

These guys can be ruthless...

Oh yeah salesperson promised me that I'd always get a MB as loaner when we bought..

These dealers are all the same aren't they guys?

Think bentley guys are any better???
Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Waiting-4-550
Doubt it.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
Only way to find out is to buy one.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:27 PM

2014 GL 450
Got brown toyota as loaner and total cost of schedule was 400 bucks..
I think I still hold the record with the worst loaner car...a PT Cruiser.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 A6 & '08 GL550
Originally Posted by Newbie_2_MB
I think I still hold the record with the worst loaner car...a PT Cruiser.
Yes, indeed you do. But, BeanCounter might beg to differ. I think I remember he got a C-Class and absolutely did not enjoy his loaner either.

During my last service visit I was given an ML-320. It was fine as loaner, but I really missed my GL. It had absolutely no pick-up and honestly, I don't know how people get by with those little trucks. They must only transport people, because they certainly can't carry much gear, or dogs for that matter. My golf clubs didn't fit so well in there either.

Don't get me wrong though... I'll take an ML any day over a PT Cruiser.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: cost of service A