GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Roof rack blew off replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof rack blew off replaced under warranty

The very forward plastic roof rack cover went missing and snapped off at it's attachment. I called MB and suggested wind got under it and it snapped. My dealership was contacted by MB and the entire rack was replaced, under warranty. It was an involved fix with removing the headliner, roof airbag, sunroof, etc. Check your roof often, it may be an emerging defect. My service guy suggested the parts alone are $1500 (entire r side rack) and removal and replacing the headliner/ stuff could only add another $1000.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by MDGL320
My dealership was contacted by MB and the entire rack was replaced, under warranty.
Wow! The other threads where folks have asked about replacing the roof rack with the chrome version have suggested it's involved enough to make it financially unfeasable. (Or, for those of us who speak ENGLISH, Steve, "really expensive!") For the reasons you listed (headliner, airbags, etc. etc.), the labor involved is pretty huge.

Might I ask, had you taken it through any car washes? I've lost the tow bolt attachment point cover on the front from a car wash's blow dryer once. (I know, I know, I'm not supposed to take it through a car wash - sheesh!) Just a thought, that could've also raised it up a bit or even possibly pulled it off. NOT that you'd say that to MB!

STP
Old 07-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No it did not happen in a car wash. There was no sign of damage or scratch anywhere else. The left side rack was fine. I think it will turn into a defective part problem as MB stepped up to cover costs.