GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

diesel alternative?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:38 AM

'08 GL 320CDI
diesel alternative?

I haven't studied this at all, but I saw a commercial on Diesel Secret Energy a couple of times this past weekend. They claim this is a diesel fuel alternative at a cost of $.46 per gallon, and can be used on any diesel engine.
Is there anyone out there who has looked into this for their vehicle? I'm normally not one to try new products until it has a proven track record. I can't imagine Mercedes endorsing such a product and I would guess the vehicles warranty would be greatly compomised. What do you think, and has anyone tried this? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2008 | 11:01 AM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by JDT1
I haven't studied this at all, but I saw a commercial on Diesel Secret Energy a couple of times this past weekend. They claim this is a diesel fuel alternative at a cost of $.46 per gallon, and can be used on any diesel engine.
Is there anyone out there who has looked into this for their vehicle? I'm normally not one to try new products until it has a proven track record. I can't imagine Mercedes endorsing such a product and I would guess the vehicles warranty would be greatly compomised. What do you think, and has anyone tried this? Thanks.
Maybe some kind of biodiesel? Do you have to pay or subscribe to get more info? You know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true ..."
Old 08-11-2008 | 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
My guess is it's a method of burning vegatable oil. I have a friend of a friend that uses used vegatable oil in his diesel pickup. He had to do some minor conversions to the vehicle, and there's some work required to get the oil viscosity to be similar to #2 diesel. He says similar things, cost him much less than $1 per gallon.

His car usually smells like french fries - I'll let the readers decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Old 08-11-2008 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
It sounds to good to be true. probably is old cooking oil. this has been used on older diesel vehicles. Exhaust will smell like a fish fry. Will not work on new vehicles and willdefinitetly void your warranty.