GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Winter Report 19" Pirelli's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 11:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 GL320CDI, C6 Corvette, 1969 Corvair Convertible
Winter Report 19" Pirelli's

Just thought I would give a little report. I just got back from a hunting trip in NW Nebraska. I was hoping to get a chance to see how the GL320 would do off the road, down into the canyons and going through the creek. I was a little concerned as the Scorpion Zero's are not really an off road tire, but I bought the truck to use it, and it needs to go off road.

Due to a blizzard in Nebraska the 5th through the 7th, all the roads up into our hunting ground were blown shut, and we did not get any vehicle other than an atv up in the area, and that was by driving through the fields.

Although I didn't get to try the GL much off road, I did get the opportunity to try it in the blizzard and through drifts up to hood height. I had to get to the airport on the 7th, and the roads hadn't been plowed. It snowed 16-20 inches in two days with 40-60 mph winds. This was the worst blizzard in 30 years up there, and US 20 was not plowed. I finally made the decision to try to get to the airport after waiting about three hours for a plow, and I must say, I was amazed with the GL and the Scorpion Zero's. I went through 20 miles of crap and the GL just keep moving. I finally hooked up with a Dodge Pickup and we traveled the last 10 miles together, with the GL leading the way and busting through the drifts. The truck was very stable, and the traction was amazing. I had to saw a bit through some of the very long drifted areas, but the thing just kept moving.

I got to try it a little in mud later in the week, and it went OK, but I didn't test it too well. Obviously, the Scorpions are pretty wide and flat, and they didn't have a lot of open area to be able to really claw and clean themselves, but it was better than I expected with basically street tires. Overall, I was impressed. I would still like a true all terrain on/of road tire in 19", but absent that, I will put on another set of the Scorpions when these are done.

Todd in Texas
Old 11-24-2008 | 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by chieftam
I must say, I was amazed with the GL and the Scorpion Zero's. I went through 20 miles of crap and the GL just keep moving. I finally hooked up with a Dodge Pickup and we traveled the last 10 miles together, with the GL leading the way and busting through the drifts. The truck was very stable, and the traction was amazing. I had to saw a bit through some of the very long drifted areas, but the thing just kept moving.
Bavarian engineering at its best. I do wish this vehicle had been built by MB before they decided they were all needlessly over-engineered, but I think some of the quality is back and I do believe in the beauty of the GL.