GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Review of Rola Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier & Cargo Bag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me - BMW M3; Wife - MB GL320 CDI
Review of Rola Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier & Cargo Bag

We have an 08 GL320 CDI and recently purchased a hitch mounted cargo carrier and a large waterproof cargo bag that attaches to it. They are both made by Rola and we purchased through Amazon. Total cost was about $150. We just returned from Thanksgiving trip and the setup worked great.

We put our duffle bags and odd items inside the cargo bag in the house and my son and I just carried the whole thing out to the car. The bag is very large and expands via a special zipper. We have four kids and all of our bags for a five day trip fit inside with room to spare.

On the way home we drove in heavy rain for about 4 hours and no water entered the bag. It is very sturdy and has flaps that protect the front and back of the zipper from leaking. The outside lip has velcro to keep it in place around the zipper.

The rear hatch had plenty of clearance to open and close with the bag in place. It was so much easier than previous roof cargo carriers I have had on other vehicles and was waaay cheaper.

I always love it when a lower cost solution works better than the expensive option so I thought I would give a full report. Unfortunately, the Tahoe we used to own was not one of those experiences.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Do you have any photos. I have used a hitch mounted carrier before and loved it. However, the one I had always interfered with the tailgate and I assumed they would with the GL's as well. It must stay pretty low for the tailgate to clear it.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM

Me - BMW M3; Wife - MB GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by scottybdiving
Do you have any photos. I have used a hitch mounted carrier before and loved it. However, the one I had always interfered with the tailgate and I assumed they would with the GL's as well. It must stay pretty low for the tailgate to clear it.
I will take a picture the next time I get it out for a trip. The key is that the carrier is back far enough from the bumper that the lift clears. I think I could actually put a second bag on top of the first and it would still clear.