Thinking about jumping ship

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Thinking about jumping ship

Hello, everyone, and Happy New Year.

As most of you know, I bought my father a GL450 Premier in July of 2006, and we've been very happy with it thus far. Sadly, as the lease nears its end (Sept 09) I've come to the realization that it's just too big for him. He's 80 years old and still drives very well, but little mishaps occur with the bumpers, etc., as will happen to all of us at some point. Moreover, my mom, who will turn 85 this month, is showing signs of difficulty hopping in, even with the running boards. I must think of alternatives. I've been running through the worthy options for vehicles for my parents that will also serve my occasional needs to pull my motorcycle trailer. The Mercedes ML is just as high as the GL and therefore out of the running. The new GLK is just plain ugly, so it too is out. The Audi Q7 is too big. The Volvo is just, well, a Volvo, and I refuse to drive a Lexus or Infiniti. BMW's X5 and X6 are both out because they're too high and the X6 will prove impossible for my father to see out the back, leading to even more "mishaps." The X3 is out because all I've read about it says it's ride is noisy and harsh. Frankly, I've not liked the direction BMW has taken with its vehicles in the recent past and I don't care for their spartan interiors. (Their motorcycles are a different story, but that's for a different forum.) Both my parents seem to like the Cayenne and it's easy for them to get into and out of it , so it's looking like the logical choice. Before making this switch, however, I do have some questions for all of you, who perhaps may have some experience either personal or anecdotal.

Our GL for the most part has been reliable, but it has had its share of problems. That you know of, has the Cayenne been a reliable vehicle, and if not, what have been some common problems? I didn't seem to find much by superficially searching the Porsche section at the Germancarzone forum, where I've also posted this question. What are the typical maintenance costs? Also, keeping in mind the obvious differences, in terms of quietness and ride comfort, for those of you who have had the opportunity to compare, how does the Cayenne fare against the GL? I'm pretty certain I'll be looking at the next gen Cayenne, even if I have to wait a little for it. The GL is great and I can certainly extend the lease for a few months, but I'd also like to know in general what's the lead time Porsche has on its ordered vehicles? I need to plan this properly so the down time is minimal. Are there any "must haves" on the options list? Sorry for the twenty questions to you, the GL owners, but if anyone can steer me correctly I feel it would be all of you. Thanks in advance for your kind attention.

Last edited by neodoc; 01-01-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ML350, 2008 GL450
Hey Joe,

My family had a 2006 Cayenne which was unfortunately totaled last year and replaced with a 2008 GL. My mother was the intended driver of both cars, but unfortunately found the new GL too big, so we are also in the process of getting her another Cayenne. She found the GL too hard to park and maneuver in the city. In the 2 years we drove the Cayenne, the maintenance costs were close to that of the GL, since we don't drive that much (less than 10,000 miles a year), so we get it serviced once a year for about the same cost as a Service A and B at Mercedes. It drove very well, the only thing she complained about was the engine revving noise, which I guess is in the entire Porsche lineup.

As for must haves, we found Bi-Xenons (for clearer visibility), Navigation, Light Comfort Package (to reduce glare from driver's behind), and Bluetooth to be useful. Most of these are individual options for Porsche, unlike the Package options that Mercedes has.

The Cayenne was just refreshed for 2008 and added a few new options such as iPod hookup and touchscreen nav in 2009. From what I've heard, it sounds like the next generation Cayenne is not due to be revealed until around mid 2010.

Last edited by Jjjakc; 01-01-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:07 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SLR McLaren
Hello,

I personally owned a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S, and I LOVED it!!

.... The only reason why I traded it in was b/c the facelift model came out and I actually decided to return to MB with a S65 AMG. I recently saw the new model Cayenne Turbo S and would still consider returning to it! I am actually trying to convince my wife into driving one, but she loves the bigger SUV's right now sooo, maybe a lil bit later we will consider getting one!

Good luck with your future choice, The GL is a great vehicle, but, IMO, you will absolutely fall in love with the Cayenne!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Did not own a Cayenne but did own a the VW Touareg version. The only point that I can add is that it had the capability to lower itself one inch lower than the normal ride height..........a great feature as it aided my 84 year old father in getting in and out of the vehicle! Comfort and quality were comparable to MB........but I had the very first model year and it came with a lot of "electronic headaches!"
Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
fq1

Originally Posted by neodoc
Hello, everyone, and Happy New Year.

The X3 is out because all I've read about it says it's ride is noisy and harsh. Frankly, I've not liked the direction BMW has taken with its vehicles in the recent past and I don't care for their spartan interiors.
Happy New Year to you too. I have previously owned an X3 and do not agree that the ride is too harsh on the regular non-sport version. From what you have described, it might be the perfect SUV for your needs. It handles extremely well, is the right height for just sliding in and out of the seats without stressing your knees or having to jump down, and the dimensions are just right if you don't need the interior space. The only thing is that mine was the fisrt year model and the interior quality was a bit low rent, which may have been improved by now.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, but have you seen the GLK in person. Personally, i think they have a homerun on their hands-and that pictures do not do it justice.

If i were in the market to move downward in size, i'd definitely be first in line for the GLK. Good luck either way!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM

fq1: I used to own a BMW and feel they're wonderful machines. I haven't driven an X3, so all I have to go by are several reviews, including a video review by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear. I suppose I'll have to drive one myself to make the direct comparison.

carpersn: I have seen and sat in the GLK and, frankly, it seemed cheap inside (like the X3) and a bit squarish on the outside. I suppose beauty really is in the eye of the beholder as you said, so those who are attracted to it should definitely buy one. I for one do not feel an attraction to it, so I'll stay away. The most important persons in this decision process are my parents, and they weren't moved by it either.

Thanks to the two of you and the rest who have contributed their thoughts thus far.

BTW, I showed my dad this video of the Cayenne prototype and watched his eyes light up. http://www.motorauthority.com/video/...nne-spied.html
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
fq1

fq1: I used to own a BMW and feel they're wonderful machines. I haven't driven an X3, so all I have to go by are several reviews, including a video review by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear. I suppose I'll have to drive one myself to make the direct comparison.
I agree that you have to drive it to determine for yourself as well as see what makes your dad happy. I remember that review of Clarkson's of the X3 and it was quite funny. You have to see his reviews of the Cayenne though!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 PM

2008 S65 AMG, 2005 SLR McLaren

carpersn: I have seen and sat in the GLK and, frankly, it seemed cheap inside (like the X3) and a bit squarish on the outside. I suppose beauty really is in the eye of the beholder as you said, so those who are attracted to it should definitely buy one. I for one do not feel an attraction to it, so I'll stay away. The most important persons in this decision process are my parents, and they weren't moved by it either.

Thanks to the two of you and the rest who have contributed their thoughts thus far.

BTW, I showed my dad this video of the Cayenne prototype and watched his eyes light up. http://www.motorauthority.com/video/...nne-spied.html
wow, in that one scene where its on the track .....The front hood/nose almost looks like a VW bug!

I think i'll wait to see it in person b4 I judge though!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
A good friend of mine has a Cayenne. Its a nice SUV... Another good friend has a Touareg with the V10 diesel... I actually prefer the VW...

One other vehicle to consider... since you didn't mention it on your list.... How about an R class? You might be able to get a great deal on one... I have driven it and it actually rides nicer than the GL (IMHO). Plus its lower to get into and it has captain's seats in the middle row...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Is there a reason you're just thinkng SUVs? Assuming you are in Florida it doesn't seem like clearance and 4WD are a bit issue. Towing the motorcycle trailer should be a fairly low weight item to pull - i.e no need for trailer brakes, etc.

I'm thinking maybe you should look at sedans instead of SUVs. My Mom is 81 and has difficulty getting in all SUVs. If your 'occasional need' to tow is rare, maybe a few times per year, I'd suggest renting a pickup truck to tow it. You can probably get a decent rate and it wouldn't cost too much. If it's more frequent, you could probably fit a hitch on the sedans.

Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Downsizing

I am almost your dad's age and also found the GL550 too big for my needs. I downsized as far as you can go to the SL....

The SL is perfect except for the entry/exit. It is low to the ground and is somewhat difficult to get out of. With the wide doors, if someone crowds you on the side, it is very difficult to enter. Other than that the size is perfect. It would eliminate the cycle tow but I bet it would excite your father...
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Danno4x4
One other vehicle to consider... since you didn't mention it on your list.... How about an R class? You might be able to get a great deal on one... I have driven it and it actually rides nicer than the GL (IMHO). Plus its lower to get into and it has captain's seats in the middle row...
I disagree on the ride, but then I'm an SUV guy! One thing he wanted, though, was towing ability and Phoenix Motor said there's absolutely no towing ability in the R-class. I don't know if that was literal (it says it in the manual) or figurative (folks have tried it and it's no good), but it's what they said.

STP
Old 01-03-2009, 12:40 PM

MB
My 2 cents:

Consider the E-class wagon (perhaps after the new introduction this fall). Extremely comfy ride, classy, and capable of light towing though this will require some modification or sourcing of parts directly from Germany. I'm sure there are postings on this subject here...

All the attributes of an SUV without the height!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks again for all your replies. Nevada's right. My dad would probably love the SL, but getting in and out of my CLK is a bit of chore for him, so I can only imagine how hard it would be for him to do so in the SL. I'm certain the R-Class cannot tow, or at least the last time I checked under the rear bumper there was no place to put a hitch. That's the reason we bought the GL. As far as renting a pickup, that would be an option if it was just for a day or so to move the bike in the trailer, but we actually go on trips. Since I don't like leaving the parentals at home to get bored, I take them with me, when feasible, to enjoy their company and for them to see what I get to see. I have a CB on the bike and communicate with them when I'm riding and they're driving behind me. One could argue that I'm not a "true biker" since I trailer the bike on long trips, but I counter that by having more quality time on the bike once I get to my destination, as opposed to having to sleep for a day to recover from a long ride. I can do about 300 miles in a day on the bike, but I'm exhaused by the time it's over. I'll look into the next gen E class wagon. Since we won't be doing anything until late this year anyway, we have time to think.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Thanks again for all your replies. Nevada's right. My dad would probably love the SL, but getting in and out of my CLK is a bit of chore for him, so I can only imagine how hard it would be for him to do so in the SL. I'm certain the R-Class cannot tow, or at least the last time I checked under the rear bumper there was no place to put a hitch. That's the reason we bought the GL. As far as renting a pickup, that would be an option if it was just for a day or so to move the bike in the trailer, but we actually go on trips. Since I don't like leaving the parentals at home to get bored, I take them with me, when feasible, to enjoy their company and for them to see what I get to see. I have a CB on the bike and communicate with them when I'm riding and they're driving behind me. One could argue that I'm not a "true biker" since I trailer the bike on long trips, but I counter that by having more quality time on the bike once I get to my destination, as opposed to having to sleep for a day to recover from a long ride. I can do about 300 miles in a day on the bike, but I'm exhaused by the time it's over. I'll look into the next gen E class wagon. Since we won't be doing anything until late this year anyway, we have time to think.
'09 R-Class has an optional rear hitch for $510. Towing capacity is 3,500 lbs, this option was just added in this year. Hope that helps!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
'09 R-Class has an optional rear hitch for $510. Towing capacity is 3,500 lbs, this option was just added in this year. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look into it.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM

2008 GL320CDI
older R classes can have a hitch installed--you can buy one at etrailers.com. Most full size cars with good brakes can pull a trailer with a motorcycle. I have towed two motorcycles in an enclosed trailer with ease in my 91 Eagle Talon AWD!
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
News Flash: The R-class is a MINIVAN!!! Not that there is anything wrong with that.

PS: I wouldn't rule out the smaller German SUVs without a test drive. Springs and shocks are always getting changed from model year-to-year, and I suspect the BMW took enough abuse about the X3 to soften things up.

As an aside, no matter how small a car my wife drives, she scrapes the corners. If she had a Smart Car, she would scrape the corners.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
GL 320cdi, Chevrolet Avalanchero, GLE 350 (on order)
Newsflash! so is a GL. On the doorjamb of my truck the Transport Canada classification is MPV (ie: minivan). Just noticed it this weekend.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
MPV = multi-purpose vehicle.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by cablvr
MPV = multi-purpose vehicle.
I thought it was MPV=Multi-Passenger-Vehicle? That's what it is in the UK, anywayz.