GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Potential GL Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Potential GL Owner

So I've been looking at a GL vs. a Suburban LTZ or Denali.

What I like about the Benz is obviously the quality and the interior. I feel pretty confident that at 75k miles I won't hear a lot of rattles.

I need a vehicle that has very easy access to the third row. A big checkmark for the Denali/LTZ is the power folding second row. I don't think Benz has that - what's the general consensus for folks that actually USE the third row in getting back there?

Secondly, a big demerit for the Benz is that under the specs it says premium fuel - are you all actually putting that in your truck? (Yes, this is a truck to me despite the unibody architechture).

Thirly, if a unit does NOT have the towing receiver from the factory are there needed options that you should have to tow? For instance, transmission coolers etc. etc.

Oh, and speaking of towing: Is there anybody out there that actually uses this vehicle for towing? I have a 5,500 lb boat that I drag around, and some feedback of the CDI (I'm NOT getting the bluetec) vs. the 450 would be nice if anyone has any comparison.

And generally: Are folks that buy the diesel getting the advertised mileage? I'd also ASSUME the reliability would be a bit better than the gas burner. Experiences?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM

2006 ML500
Hey...I'm in the same boat. Need a 3 row SUV and I'm going to be shopping the GL, the Caddy Sclade, Audi Q7, Acura MDX, and maybe the Denali too.

There isn't alot of love for the Caddy on this forum, but look on ebay at the loaded 2007's and you'll be amazed how cheap they are in just 2 years. Plus, I believe they do run on regular gas and the maintenance is much cheaper. All non-diesel Benzes that I know of require premuim.

You'll get comments you shouldn't buy a Benz if you are sweating using premuim but to me that is BS. Anyone who has money probably got it by researching costs and doing their homework and gas prices are once again on the rise it seems.

On the other side, the GL will make the caddy feel cheap in every respect. Unlike all the Mercedes I've had, they also seem to be holding their value pretty good. I'm considering an 08 or 09 GL550.

In the past I test drove an 06 ML320 and it just felt weak to me so I went with the ML500.

Good luck with your decision and sorry for the rambling!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM

GL450
Your thinking is pretty spot on with where I am. Not big on the blingage the 'Sclade has with it but the Denali is kinda sublte - in comparision.

I'm very reluctant to put premium in a vehicle that averages 17 MPG on a good day. There's paying a premium for value and then there's just being silly.

That's also why I'm curious about the diesel (I have a diesel truck, too). And yeah, it's not going to feel as immediate as a gas burner - that's part of the deal. But it tows like nobody's business.

And if the total cost of ownership for the diesel is more on par with the Denali I'll certainly give that consideration.

I intend to put at least 150k miles on whatever I buy - so it needs to last and we'll need to live with it for a while.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 PM

98 SLK230, 09 GL320
The fact that 2-3yr resale of GL450 is so much better than 'Sclade should tell you something...

GL has the most comfortable 3rd row seating for adults (compared to Q7, Sclade, Denali, MDX).

As for gas octane grade, lets just say the Merc is designed to operate in Kenya, Mongolia, Colombia, Iran, Afghanistan, China, Malaysia, Siberia, etc where 93 octane is not always available.

'08 GL550 is a very good value.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by jonwright
... a big demerit for the Benz is that under the specs it says premium fuel - are you all actually putting that in your truck? (Yes, this is a truck to me despite the unibody architechture).
Real engines burn premium. European performance cars have little bitty engines that make lots of horsepower because they have high compression. There are no regular gasoline Mercedes since 1985.

... if a unit does NOT have the towing receiver from the factory are there needed options that you should have to tow? For instance, transmission coolers etc. etc.
No, Mercedes comes with everything you need for towing, except sometimes the hitch and the wiring, which is a package. You'll be sorry if you don't find one with the hitch, because this $550 factory option costs $2K to retrofit at a dealer. The Mercedes wiring system is VERY sophisticated and you really don't want any boys with scotchlocks messing with it.

Oh, and speaking of towing: Is there anybody out there that actually uses this vehicle for towing? I have a 5,500 lb boat that I drag around, and some feedback of the CDI (I'm NOT getting the bluetec) vs. the 450 would be nice if anyone has any comparison. And generally: Are folks that buy the diesel getting the advertised mileage? I'd also ASSUME the reliability would be a bit better than the gas burner. Experiences?
Plenty of towing experience shared here. Use search.

Diesels do provide the advertised mileage.

Diesel and gasser engine durability should be equal. Either is light years more sophisticated than anything made out of iron that burns regular.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by neynhoj
As for gas octane grade, lets just say the Merc is designed to operate in Kenya, Mongolia, Colombia, Iran, Afghanistan, China, Malaysia, Siberia, etc where 93 octane is not always available.
Simply nothing to say except this isn't true.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM

98 SLK230, 09 GL320
lkchris, you have nothing to say because you have nothing to back up your claim (other than being MB mouthpiece)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/au...porsche&st=cse

Which part of my statement above is not true? is Merc not designed to operate in those countries? Is the GL built in Alabama not sold worldwide? Are you suggesting Merc engineers have not designed the likelihood of varying octane gas into the system?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
So I've been looking at a GL vs. a Suburban LTZ or Denali.

What I like about the Benz is obviously the quality and the interior. I feel pretty confident that at 75k miles I won't hear a lot of rattles.
Okay here are my feedback items but if you keyword search each of the things you are interested in on this forum, you will learn quite a bit and see that many of these things have already been discussed.

I need a vehicle that has very easy access to the third row. A big checkmark for the Denali/LTZ is the power folding second row. I don't think Benz has that - what's the general consensus for folks that actually USE the third row in getting back there?
The GL is not as quite as easy to get into the 3rd row as the Sub-ahoe-cade, but I think it is still easy... Unless... you intend to use more than one baby seat on the 2nd row. Only the passenger side 2nd row folds forward. So if you use one baby seat, you will need to keep it on the driver's side. If you use both baby seats, then 3rd row access is much more difficult (but not impossible). You will learn a lot if you go to the dealership and climb around on the inside of the GL... Be sure to actually SIT in the 3rd row... I am a tall person, and my head actually hits the roof on the Sub-ahoe-cade, in the Benz, I am quite comfortable, both leg and head room.

Secondly, a big demerit for the Benz is that under the specs it says premium fuel - are you all actually putting that in your truck? (Yes, this is a truck to me despite the unibody architechture).
If you ask an uppity Mercedes nut... No way, they would never run anything less than premium... If you ask me... Mercedes gas engines in the GL (not including AMG) will run on regular just fine... The electronics and the knock sensor will dial the engine back a bit and you will loose some HP and Torque, but it will not damage the engine at all.

Thirly, if a unit does NOT have the towing receiver from the factory are there needed options that you should have to tow? For instance, transmission coolers etc. etc.
Nope... It will not have the proper electronics and connections necessary to connect a brake controller... You will need to run extra wires for the brake controller, and either replace or update the SAM (Chassis Electronic Control Computer) to work with the brake controller and turn signals. As far as trans coolers etc, I am not sure... If you do get the tow package, it is pretty much plug and play, the pigtail for the brake controller is in the driver's side footwell, and the trailer harness just plugs in...

Oh, and speaking of towing: Is there anybody out there that actually uses this vehicle for towing? I have a 5,500 lb boat that I drag around, and some feedback of the CDI (I'm NOT getting the bluetec) vs. the 450 would be nice if anyone has any comparison.
I can't speak for the 450 towing, but the CDI is a towing champ... I have averaged 14-17 mpg towing a 6700-7000lb trailer depending on how fast I went. The diesel is made for towing... Much more so than the gas engines... If you intend to tow, I would highly recommend the diesel... As far as the Bluetec, it sounds like you are very much dead-set against it... I am curious to know why and I think you should re-consider... I am assuming it has to do with the run-flats instead of a spare?

Check out the below links for more towing stuff...

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ou-towing.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...ike-champ.html

And generally: Are folks that buy the diesel getting the advertised mileage? I'd also ASSUME the reliability would be a bit better than the gas burner. Experiences?
I am getting better than the advertised mileage... if I keep the speed below 75 MPH.

As for reliability, at this point I would say they are the same... There were some early issues with 2007 models having their intercooler hoses popping off, but Mercedes has fixed that.

Of course the diesel engine is likely to outlast the gas engine considering it is built to be heavier duty than gas.. If my past diesel Mercedes ownership is any indication (I had over 400K miles on my 1985 300D Turbo before I sold it... Now it is going on 450K after a transmission rebuild.)

Last edited by Danno4x4; 02-03-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:47 PM

2006 ML500
Originally Posted by lkchris
Real engines burn premium.
I totally disagree. Not that I'm a fan of GM, but many of their high horsepower vehicles (except the exclusive V series) make do on regular unleaded providing more than competitive power outputs.

My wife's lil 07 Toyota Rav4 has a 6 cyl 3.5L that puts out 269hp and runs 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds on regular gas (sleeper!). That same 3.5L engine with the same output in the Lexus RX requires premium.

I think many of these luxury brands are requiring premium when it truly isn't required but to fool the consumer into thinking their little engines are something special. I understand it is needed in a supercharged/turbocharged high HP engine but in my old ML500 V8 with only 300 ponies or a GL450?? Come on!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm very reluctant to put premium in a vehicle that averages 17 MPG on a good day. There's paying a premium for value and then there's just being silly.
I always use 90+ octane in mine, but I rarely get below 17mpg. On highway driving it's between 19-20.

You'll find the CDI guys are very comfortable in the mid 20's.

If you are doing lots of towing, I'd consider a diesel. I pull a lot of horse trailers, boats, hay racks, etc (not so much with my GL) and diesels and towing are meant for each other. You can't get any better advice than what Danno gives you.

I know it's not apples to apples, but I have a 2006 Dodge Laramie fully decked out diesel megacab. It's nice, but the GL luxury easily beats the Dodge.

Good luck in your search.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 AM

Wife - E300; GL320 - Sand Biege; Me - F150
We have been getting 23mpg in the city and 27mpg (Washington, DC to Eastern Shore) on the highway with our GL320.

Haven't towed anything yet but have the towing package installed, just in case.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM

'16 S550, '03 & '15 GMC Sierra 1500, '17 C300
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
You'll find the CDI guys are very comfortable in the mid 20's.
I've been tracking for the last 5 months - 22.6 MPG over 5,900 miles.

Last edited by cablvr; 02-04-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:05 AM

GL450
Actually....

I've checked - the GMT9000 platform trucks (Denali, Sclade etc.) are on par with the GL's resale. There are great deals to be had right now with 2007 models.

Originally Posted by neynhoj
The fact that 2-3yr resale of GL450 is so much better than 'Sclade should tell you something...

GL has the most comfortable 3rd row seating for adults (compared to Q7, Sclade, Denali, MDX).

'08 GL550 is a very good value.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 AM

GL450
Danno said:

can't speak for the 450 towing, but the CDI is a towing champ... I have averaged 14-17 mpg towing a 6700-7000lb trailer depending on how fast I went. The diesel is made for towing... Much more so than the gas engines... If you intend to tow, I would highly recommend the diesel... As far as the Bluetec, it sounds like you are very much dead-set against it... I am curious to know why and I think you should re-consider... I am assuming it has to do with the run-flats instead of a spare?

========

Part of thinking here is that I'm just not prepared to buy new and with the steep depreciation curve large SUVs have a used model that's 2years old is about what I'm *willing* to pay for a vehicle.

I haven't bought new in quite a long time and I'm sure as heck not going to start with a vehicle that loses almost 40% of it's sticker price in two years.

Plus I figure with all the new gadgets on the BlueTec that it might be a bit troublesome. I figue the CDI has been around long enough that it's a pretty good bet.

I know it's apples and oranges, but German manufacturers are not immune to quality problems. Benz went through some problems in the late 90's early 00's and BMW had complete HELL with their flagship 7 series and the X platform recently.

And do I have my fact straight here - don't you have to replenish the ammonia (urea)? If so, can you just pee in the container?

Actually, I don't plan to tow heavily with the GL IF I decide to get one (I have a PowerStroke truck for that). I'm examining the CDI for a good return on invenvestment - I already pay a premium for one diesel vehicle for towing - I don't need two.

Last edited by jonwright; 02-04-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Danno said:

can't speak for the 450 towing, but the CDI is a towing champ... I have averaged 14-17 mpg towing a 6700-7000lb trailer depending on how fast I went. The diesel is made for towing... Much more so than the gas engines... If you intend to tow, I would highly recommend the diesel... As far as the Bluetec, it sounds like you are very much dead-set against it... I am curious to know why and I think you should re-consider... I am assuming it has to do with the run-flats instead of a spare?

========

Part of thinking here is that I'm just not prepared to buy new and with the steep depreciation curve large SUVs have a used model that's 2years old is about what I'm *willing* to pay for a vehicle.

I haven't bought new in quite a long time and I'm sure as heck not going to start with a vehicle that loses almost 40% of it's sticker price in two years.

Plus I figure with all the new gadgets on the BlueTec that it might be a bit troublesome. I figue the CDI has been around long enough that it's a pretty good bet.

I know it's apples and oranges, but German manufacturers are not immune to quality problems. Benz went through some problems in the late 90's early 00's and BMW had complete HELL with their flagship 7 series and the X platform recently.

And do I have my fact straight here - don't you have to replenish the ammonia (urea)? If so, can you just pee in the container?

Actually, I don't plan to tow heavily with the GL IF I decide to get one (I have a PowerStroke truck for that). I'm examining the CDI for a good return on invenvestment - I already pay a premium for one diesel vehicle for towing - I don't need two.
If you find a used GL320, you better latch on to it. Carmaxx only shows 3 of them in their network, all on the east coast. 2 '07's, and 1 '08, $46K to $50K. They all look P1 or lower. There are none to be had around here.

As an owner of a Silverado LTZ, I can assure you there is no comparison in quality with the GL. I love my truck, but it is a true luxury experience, on the rare occasions that I get to drive the GL.

Last edited by scottybdiving; 02-04-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:37 PM

98 SLK230, 09 GL320
Danno said:

if you can't afford the GL, or you aren't convinced the GL is worth the premium over GM truck, well... the Merc is not meant for everyone.

as for ROI, no vehicle is a worthwhile investment. since you are looking to spend the least amount of cash to get from A-B in a 3row truck, go buy a 2007 GMT9000.

btw, have you actually test driven a GL...
Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Try this website for comparison shopping.

www.newcartestdrive.com

This will allow you to compare up to 3 at a time and give you all the information you will ever need. Only other step would be to go drive one for yourself and I think you'll find that none of them drive as good as the GL.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by red00lght
I think many of these luxury brands are requiring premium when it truly isn't required but to fool the consumer into thinking their little engines are something special.
You must watch all the UFO shows on History Channel and subscribe to the "grassy knoll" theories, and BTW all the Apollo moon landings were staged in a warehouse.

But, whatever rationalization works ... .

From https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...June06Star.pdf

Using anything other than premium unleaded in any gasoline engine since MY 1986 is not only discouraged, Mercedes-Benz has a list of recommendations if a driver is forced to use anything else, including:

•Only partially fill the tank with any other gasoline. Drive only until premium unleaded is available. Top off the tank with premium unleaded as soon as possible.

•Do not drive at full throttle and avoid hard acceleration when using anything but unleaded premium.

•If the vehicle is lightly loaded, such as no more than two occupants with no luggage, engine speed should be kept below 2,000 rpm. If the vehicle is fully loaded or operating in a mountainous area, do not exceed 2/3 throttle position.

•The only fuel additives recommended are detergents and other additives blended with the gasoline during the refining process by the petroleum company. According to Mercedes-Benz, “DO NOT blend other fuel additives with the fuel. These additional additives only result in unnecessary cost and may be harmful to engine operation.” The only exception to the “no additives” rule is Mercedes-Benz’s own additive, (Part Number A 000 989 25 45 10). Follow the specific directions when using this to remove internal carbon build up on valves because a high quality gasoline with detergent additives was not regularly used in the car.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM

2006 ML500
Originally Posted by lkchris
You must watch all the UFO shows on History Channel and subscribe to the "grassy knoll" theories, and BTW all the Apollo moon landings were staged in a warehouse.

But, whatever rationalization works ... .

From https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/Sta...June06Star.pdf
That's pretty funny, but seriously, how do you explain a base brand Toyota recommending regular and the same engine in a Lexus demanding premium? Marketing? I'm not saying engines that require premium don't need it, but I think there are some out there that can probably get by without it.

Well, back on topic, good luck in finding your ride Jonwright!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

GL450
WERD!

Nissan does the same thing the with Armada/Infinity with the premium fuel. I'm guessing that a "premium" vehicle like that they believe for marketing materials the HP should be a bit higher (if not, why pay the premium?) so raise the compression with different pistons or other tricks which would require a higher octane to keep the detonation at bay.

Thanks, guys, for helping me to hash this out. We eyeballed a unit this afternoon but didn't drive one as of yet. My wife is 8 mos preggers so she was ready to go after just a short time.

I'm really digging the large rear doors, actually. Funny how small things like that can set a $50k vehicle apart from others.

And for those of you with snobby comments about what I can and can not afford: that's not really your business, is it? If looking rationally at a vehicle entails being "poor" then I guess I am.

Last edited by jonwright; 02-04-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM

2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
Danno said:

========

I hear you... And you are right...

Benz's are indeed subject to quality problems... All you have to do is look at the number of Tech Service Bulletins to see that... Although, sometimes I get the feeling that the real reason that MZB releases so many TSBs is not due to the fact that Benzs have more issues, but rather that MZB has a goal of a higher level of perfection than some of the other US manufacturers. Perhaps MZB issues TSBs for things that others might just acknowledge as a non-safety related "known issue" that they do not plan to address.

As far as going for a good used vs. new GL, I think you can't go wrong here. Since the Bluetec is only available new, it totally makes sense that you would not want to look at those.

The Bluetec stuff is really just an add on to the current CDI which sprays the Adblue liquid into the exhaust stream... I don't believe that there are any significant changes to the engine and powertrain itself to support this...

As far as peeing in the tank, I was wondering the same thing myself but it looks like pee and the Adblue are not chemically similar... Apparently there is a sensor in the tank that can detect Adblue versus something else (like water) and it will throw a code if it is not the right stuff. The Adblue tank is good for 10K miles they say, and then it can be refilled... for now by the dealer, but later since VW, Chevy, Dodge and Ford are all using a similar AdBlue treatment (chemically it is known as AUS32 Diesel Emissions Fluid) you will likely be able to find the stuff all over the place.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by red00lght
I totally disagree. Not that I'm a fan of GM, but many of their high horsepower vehicles (except the exclusive V series) make do on regular unleaded providing more than competitive power outputs.

My wife's lil 07 Toyota Rav4 has a 6 cyl 3.5L that puts out 269hp and runs 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds on regular gas (sleeper!). That same 3.5L engine with the same output in the Lexus RX requires premium.

I think many of these luxury brands are requiring premium when it truly isn't required but to fool the consumer into thinking their little engines are something special. I understand it is needed in a supercharged/turbocharged high HP engine but in my old ML500 V8 with only 300 ponies or a GL450?? Come on!
I went onto ClubLexus and searched for the reasoning behind this and it seems like there is none. RX350s have reportedly run the same on regular and premium. Some say that it is minimally rougher when the engine is under load when running on regular, but nothing to be alarmed about.

On the other hand, I've read many posts about knocking and pinging when Mercedes engines are running on regular under load and/or at WOT.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
And for those of you with snobby comments about what I can and can not afford: that's not really your business, is it? If looking rationally at a vehicle entails being "poor" then I guess I am.
I couldn't agree more. BUT, you did ask for opinions and remember it takes all kinds

All the best with search and with the coming kid.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
+1000 from me. I find it refreshing to see someone else who's willing to comparison shop amongst what is available out there rather than simply subscribing to the Church of Damlier.

At one time, I owned a Lexus LS400. One of my favorite cars, it was a gorgeous sedan. My brother, who has a law degree and an MBA and therefore isn't hurting for cash, was shopping for a car that would comfortably fit his 6'3" frame and was tired of Caddys with the cheap construction and so forth. So he test drove my car, which was big enough, and went to Schumacher (the old dealership) to test drive and ask about them. We drove an E-class. My brother asked how it compared to my own Lexus. The (very young) salesman said, "Oh, you've got to get in to an S-class to compare with that car!" To which my brother replied, "Surely you didn't mean to say I have to spend $30,000 more than my brother did to get the same car in a Mercedes?"

Needless to say, he's not driving a Merc. His wife now has an LS430.

STP
Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM

2006 ML500
You're right...money sure doesn't buy happiness in vehicles! I actually enjoy my 08 Infiniti G35 more than I did my 2003 CL500 or $100k+ 2003 CL600 or the 2004 E55.

Maintenance is much cheaper, the techonology features relating to nav/stereo/etc...are way better, and believe it or not, the car is more comfortable for my 6'7" frame (though headroom is tighter). The car also feels much lighter on its' feet than the luxo-barge CL's. I never thought the Infiniti could compete with Mercedes best, but I find myself happier in a much cheaper car. It has been a pleasant surprise and a good lesson learned to shop around more!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Potential GL Owner