GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ipod Sound Quality Issue-HELP ASAP???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Ipod Sound Quality Issue-HELP ASAP???

Dealer has vehicle; i report a distorted iPod sound quality; they call and say it's the levels at which some of my songs are recorded...that the modulation cannot compensate.

However, when i remove the iPod and play the same songs in my ML320 (same year and sound system), it sounds great.

Any ideas on getting them to actually acknowledge/respond/fix my issue. Frustrating that i have to put up with something i know is wrong when the technician, who is obviously not specially-trained in audio, blows it off. The iPod kit was fine for a year, and now at any volume over background level, sounds terrible (again, which they won't acknowledge and explain as the above).

I'm supposed to pick up the vehicle (unfixed) tomorrow, an hour away at the dealer, so i'm not too happy. This is the first issue in the past 15 years which we disagree on, so i'm not complaining overall about my dealer, which has otherwise been top-notch. I'm basically just asking for anyone's experience/suggestions so that i can ask them to address the issue competently before i have to go pick up and put up with it (which in the grand scheme of things is minor, but will drive me CRAZY!!!!)

Thanks!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:24 PM
MKW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 GL450
Make sure you set the Ipod's EQ to OFF ( or FLAT ), even though the GL manual says to set it to " POP " or something like that .
If not, you may hear "buzzy " distortion on SOME ,but not all songs . That's been my experience.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 GL 450, '02 S 80 T6
How about asking them to put the iPod in a car on the lot and then try? If it's really the iPod that is at fault then it will sound bad, no matter what car.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Look at this thread about adding the ipod amp.

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...installed.html

I did it and the sound is better. Operation doesn't allow changing playlists since the music has to be set to play before plugging it in...only scrolling on the steering wheel to the next song is possible.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
I assume you got the IPOD update/upgrade that a bunch of us have gotten? There is a Mercedes bulletin on the repair. The number I have is TB 82.85/545. If you have had this done before I would have them do it again. It made a big difference for me.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Thanks guys...I think i may've been the first to have the iPod amp, and i had them check the versions of all my audio equipment (amp and ipod kit), they say all are updated.

Unfortunately, i was unable to get to the dealer (they usually deliver the car back to me, and did so today before i could intervene)...so, i guess it's left til next time.

I suppose i need to check my iTunes software to see if i am downloading at an increased level (as they claim this is responsible for the distortion)...

anyhow, it's just the ipod kit on an otherwise incredible car, so i WILL live...