Trailer wiring woes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL320CDI
Trailer wiring woes...

Hey all,

I regularly tow my trailer with my 320, and have had no issues whatsoever - at least after I relized that the GL doesn't like LED lights and converted them back to incandescent). They recently stopped working, and I'm left scratching my head as to why. Here's the story, chronologically, with some factors thrown in that may or may not be related.

- Two weeks ago, a car wash caused both license plate lights on the GL to fail. Both lenses were cracked and the ingress of water smashed both bulbs.

- With both bulbs still failed, used the trailer and found no lights working. Assumed a problem with the trailer ground, but couldn't find anything wrong.

- Repaired LH license plate bulb, but RH socket was badly corroded. With one bulb functioning, I kept getting both LH and RH bulb fail warnings. Weird.

- Friend borrows trailer, and all lights work when plugged into his truck.

- Checked for trailer light fuse on GL. Found 'Trailer Hitch' fuses 70 and 72. The latter is not installed on my car, and 70 was fine.

- Cleaned and reparied RH socket, and replaced the bulb. Both bulb fail warning disappeared. I thought maybe, just maybe the fault was related, and the trailer lights would work again. No joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Brad