GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ouch!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch!!

3 weeks ago leased a new 2009 GL 450 silver/black with P2, RSE, running boards.... today heard wife dinged the door while turning out of the parking garage.... haven't seen it yet... but picture sent to me (attached).

Any advice would be appreciated on the following issues....

What do you think the estimated repair cost would be?

I plan to use our MB dealer... but just for knowledge, does an MB dealer tend to change more and what are the other options?

What are the obligations and opportunities with respect to reporting to our insurance (GEICO)?

Finally, the mirror was apparently hit as well... I sassume that should be assessed as well?

Thanks! Sorry for the basic questions... never been in this situation before
Attached Thumbnails Ouch!!-gl450.jpg  
Old 05-20-2009, 09:32 PM

based on he point of impact the door wiil be repaired and painted and most likely the will blend the fender for proper match. most MB dealers, at least in NJ, do not have body shops. they simply send the work out to a body shop and proably get some kind of kick back from the shop. make sure you check what labor rates geico will pay and what the dealer will charge
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by c240PORTUGA
based on he point of impact the door wiil be repaired and painted and most likely the will blend the fender for proper match. most MB dealers, at least in NJ, do not have body shops. they simply send the work out to a body shop and proably get some kind of kick back from the shop. make sure you check what labor rates geico will pay and what the dealer will charge
Wow!!! Rapid response!!! Thanks!!!

Any idea on the cost for repairing/replacing a door? Also, does making an insurance claim raise our rates significantly? Ie, is it usually worth reporting to GEICO? Finally, will it look perfect again or will it always be noticable...
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by NYCAVS
Wow!!! Rapid response!!! Thanks!!!

Any idea on the cost for repairing/replacing a door? Also, does making an insurance claim raise our rates significantly? Ie, is it usually worth reporting to GEICO? Finally, will it look perfect again or will it always be noticable...
a reputable shop should repair it where you will never be able to tell it was repaired. as far as insurance premiums, contact your carrier first and get a couple estimates. depending on your deductible and the estimate you get, you can make a decision. i work for an insurance company in NJ, that does not surcharge for having a claim.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL320 CDI, 2001 TJ Rockcrawler, 2005 Scoobie STI
We just got ours back from the Body Shop today... My wife creamed the front quarter panel and the driver's door while driving INTO a parking garage...

We went through the insurance company, she had not had an accident for quite a while, so I think she earned a freebie with State Farm and our rates should not go up.

In our case, they replaced the door and the quarter panel completely and repainted everything. It cost around 4200 for the complete repair and 500 deductible out of pocket.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Same is true (re dealerships not having their own body shops) in Arizona, at least at Schumacher. But the shop they use is pretty incredible, they're the ones that replaced our rear bumper/etc. when my wife was bumped by a Suburban. While I was out of town. (Of course!)

STP
Old 05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Get multiple estimates and make a decision whether to make a claim. A reputable Shop should be able to repair this without difficulty. Only you will know it was repaired if it is done right.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Damn those wives! I leased silver black 550 3 weeks ago also and so far so good. It's only a matter of time before I get my call/picture LOL. As for your insurance, most won't penalize you for something simple like that without any prior history of tickets/accidents. Since it's so new a good color-match should be a piece of cake and should be imperceptible if done right.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Thanks for your advice... will try to put through insurance. Also, will attempt to get more than one estimate. Busy these days with a move and baby coming soon... additional reason to be understanding to wife...

Will let you know what the damage is...
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 PM

What does it mean to "blend the fender"?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:10 AM
MKW

08 GL450
What does it mean to "blend the fender"?
you always have to spray across a panel gap or the repair will be visible as a mismatch in color in certain light angles

that's why you can't just unbolt a body piece and paint it off the car

therefore there is time and labor in masking the car
Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 AM

'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
We're fortunate here to have an authorized body shop here in our hometown. They are, as I understand, factory authorized by MB. Eurotech in San Carlos, CA did the bumper repair on our E350 and it is, to me, impossible to tell. My $0.02. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Originally Posted by MKW
you always have to spray across a panel gap or the repair will be visible as a mismatch in color in certain light angles

that's why you can't just unbolt a body piece and paint it off the car

therefore there is time and labor in masking the car
We'll agree to disagree on this, b/c if you were right, where does it end? Depending upon the age of the existing paint, a great match may be obtained on just the door. A really good shop knows how to do this, otherwise you'd have to feather it out down most of the length of the car. That would end up appearing as much more damage to the vehicle as paint-thickness gauges would pick up 3 panels instead of one.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM

Haven't had chance to get it to the dealer yet. A guy at our parking garage said "don't take it to the dealer as you will pay much more--- probably $1000" and suggested we take it to a body shop. I'm still planning to take it to the dealer but curious if people had experience on difference in prices between dealer vs. body shop? What are the obligations when one leases a vehicle?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Haven't had chance to get it to the dealer yet. A guy at our parking garage said "don't take it to the dealer as you will pay much more--- probably $1000" and suggested we take it to a body shop. I'm still planning to take it to the dealer but curious if people had experience on difference in prices between dealer vs. body shop? What are the obligations when one leases a vehicle?
MB has a list of "approved and qualified" body shops. I think it may be on the MBUSA site or possibly on the Owners Page site. Sorry I can't be more specific but a list is available.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, like the others have said, you're not actually "taking it to the dealer," you're using a body shop that a) has actually painted a Merc before and knows the paints and mechanics of the car and b) may actually be an "authorized" body shop, meaning they're used to doing Merc quality work and MB thinks they're exceptional at it.

I know it's a pain in the butt, but the car's kind of an investment and while a good body shop will make it so nobody would notice you'd had the damage, a bad one will make it obvious as hell.

Just my two bits.

STP
Old 05-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
Update from my previous post above, which now seems somewhat incorrect. I guy I just met last week and spoke with today is a manufacturer's liason for paint to body shops (field rep). His backround is body work and etc. and said in this case they would probably have to feather it out to the front quarter. He did say if the paint was newer and b/c it was a M-B, there was a chance a shop could keep it just on the door panel.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nevada Jack
MB has a list of "approved and qualified" body shops. I think it may be on the MBUSA site or possibly on the Owners Page site. Sorry I can't be more specific but a list is available.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 01:50 AM

S
Arrow MB USA Certified Collision Centers

Here is the link for the Certified Collision Centers in the US:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/data/p...nters_list.pdf
Old 06-27-2009, 02:51 AM

pick up
Damn...That sucks...
Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarcDavidMiller
Here is the link for the Certified Collision Centers in the US:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/data/p...nters_list.pdf
While I certainly cannot speak for any of the other cities, here in Phoenix the collision work is not done by the dealership. Not that that is a bad thing, but just to be clear; they send it out. I think what you're hoping to get is a) assurance that they're sending it to someone who is capable of repairing the vehicle to a Mercedes owner's standards, and b) a notation on your service records that your truck was in a bender-fender (sic).

STP