GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Dealers switching to Valvoline?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Dealers switching to Valvoline?

Just took the GL320 into the dealer for it's first (10k) service, and saw on the tag that the refilled the engine with Valvoline 5w40. Looks like now MB is getting the Synpower 5w40 MST instead of the Mobil 1 5w40 ESP that they were using just one month ago.

We have been trying the M1 5w40 ESP in our '05 CDI with stellar results, so I'm a bit disappointed that they put the Valvoline in the GL.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I found that using Mobil 1 in a forced induction application, where you get blow-by, had a tendency to induce detonation whereas the Valvoline did not. Now, I'm not sure if that is applicable in a diesel engine but switching to Valvoline synthetic in my gasoline engines made a huge difference.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
Valvoline is not a bad choice for any application.
I've switched to Valvoline in my racecars, and can't complaint yet.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I found that using Mobil 1 in a forced induction application, where you get blow-by, had a tendency to induce detonation whereas the Valvoline did not. Now, I'm not sure if that is applicable in a diesel engine but switching to Valvoline synthetic in my gasoline engines made a huge difference.
you understand that this has everything to do with the quality and brand of the onboard flux capacitor- right?

in all seriousness- claiming that particular oil reduces detonations is... interesting to say the least...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
I think both oils are approved by MB for their diesel motors, so no worries. Maybe the dealer got a better price on the Valvoline from a supplier??
As for detonation, not possible on a diesel due to the nature of the diesel engine principle.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx
you understand that this has everything to do with the quality and brand of the onboard flux capacitor- right?

in all seriousness- claiming that particular oil reduces detonations is... interesting to say the least...
In all seriousness,.......you should do a little research. When you have blowby in the crank case and it is vented to the intake or if it is coming by the rings, the way some synthetic oil mixes with fuel it can increase a fuels octane while others can decrease the octane. My experience is that it absolutely made a difference in a supercharged gasoline engine that I had. When using Mobil one, I was suffering from detonation at high rpm's. I switched to Valvoline synthetic and I had no detonation. I would have never come to the conclusion had I not been familiar with others that had the same problem running Mobil 1.

There are others in the racing community that have had the same issues:
http://www.team3s.com/digests/v01n179.htm

If you race with an older engine (or one that has lost compression) and
you get oil lifting at higher rpms, this allows oil into the system,
causes smoke in the exhaust and detonation of the engine at its peak
output. The oil mixes with the injected fuel and lowers the effective
octane rating, which in turn affects the detonation threshold.
Detonation damages pistons, valves, rings... This problem is not
uniquely ours - you'll even find racers using two-cycle engine oil in
the crankcase if they have oil lifting (because that oil is formulated
to be burned and causes less loss of octane and less detonation) - it's
specially blended to be compatible with fuel. Our engines are the same
kind of tight-tolerance, precision engines as Porsches have, but those
guys recognized the problem and did company tests on what oils are most
compatible-- their results found Red Line or Valvoline synthetic oils
reduce detonation when mixed with fuel and burned in the engine; our
favored Mobil-1 fared less well. Since our engines are a bit more
temperamental, and don't "like" Valvoline that much, it appears that
those of us that race might want to consider RedLine instead of Mobil-1
in racing applications where we're experiencing detonation.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

In all seriousness,.......you should do a little research. When you have blowby in the crank case and it is vented to the intake or if it is coming by the rings, the way some synthetic oil mixes with fuel it can increase a fuels octane while others can decrease the octane.
as part of the racing community i am familiar with this "conspiracy" theory. while i have no doubt that changing your oil will reduce your detonations (fresh oil of the some kind as the old one will lower engine temps by 5-10 degrees - often enough to curb detonations), i do not believe that the actual oil brand is capable of reducing or increasing the octane rating of the fuel mix in the combustion chamber. my experience shows that if you are having detonations when using any fresh oil of the correct viscosity- you have another problem (timing/lean mixture/high temps).

alex
few cars
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx
as part of the racing community i am familiar with this "conspiracy" theory. while i have no doubt that changing your oil will reduce your detonations (fresh oil of the some kind as the old one will lower engine temps by 5-10 degrees - often enough to curb detonations), i do not believe that the actual oil brand is capable of reducing or increasing the octane rating of the fuel mix in the combustion chamber. my experience shows that if you are having detonations when using any fresh oil of the correct viscosity- you have another problem (timing/lean mixture/high temps).

alex
few cars

Nope, the condition was from the Mobil 1. I started with a fresh oil change and that's one of the ways I narrowed the cause - nothing else was changed. I did a little research to see if anyone else had the same issue and it was pretty well documented that others were suffering from the same problem. I switched oil and did not have the problem again.

The oil does not change the compression ratio; rather, it can have a real effect on the octane of the fuel when mixing with fuel. Once again, this is for an engine suffering from blowby at high rpm's. You have got to look at how certain synthetic oils are formulated. Look at the base stock between differnt synthetic oils and it will start to make a little more sense how and why certain synthetic fuels blend with fuel better and why some do not.

I'm just sharing my experience and not saying that everyone will see the same problems nor am I saying anything negative about Mobil 1. Your mileage may vary, ETC, ETC......
Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
Nope, the condition was from the Mobil 1. I started with a fresh oil change and that's one of the ways I narrowed the cause - nothing else was changed. I did a little research to see if anyone else had the same issue and it was pretty well documented that others were suffering from the same problem. I switched oil and did not have the problem again.

The oil does not change the compression ratio; rather, it can have a real effect on the octane of the fuel when mixing with fuel. Once again, this is for an engine suffering from blowby at high rpm's. You have got to look at how certain synthetic oils are formulated. Look at the base stock between differnt synthetic oils and it will start to make a little more sense how and why certain synthetic fuels blend with fuel better and why some do not.

I'm just sharing my experience and not saying that everyone will see the same problems nor am I saying anything negative about Mobil 1. Your mileage may vary, ETC, ETC......
What kind of racing are you doing? It sounds like you are running blown gas something?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

some of the most powerful forced induction gasoline vehicles run mobil1. those are cars that are leaned out as much as possible, run the highest octane rating race gas available and as much timing as possible for maximum power.

if your statement is correct, than the choice of oil for those pros is wrong. yet, they have been doing it for decades.

i understand where you come from, but your statement just does not ring true for me.

alex