GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Replacing the chrome and plastic door moulding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Replacing the chrome and plastic door moulding

Has anyone had this done? My GL is only a couple months old and some tool wacked the rear passenger side door with their car door. Luckily, there is no body/paint damage. The plastic moulding absorbed the beating as it should, but the chrome strip is noticeably bent. I was just wondering if this is an expensive or difficult project for the dealership to do well.

Also, I do my best to park in spaces that aren't tight. I try to park a few spaces away from other cars so that there are always spaces that are closer to whatever building I'm going in. I try to do it in a not so obvious way so I don't get keyed. Still, it seems like (particulary when it is clean) that someone always parks right next to me even though there are twenty spaces closer. My father who has a black S Class said that he has noticed the same thing. Am I paranoid? I had a toyota 4Runner for 8 years prior to the GL and never got a door ding.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
camaro ss
Originally Posted by 43221B
Has anyone had this done? My GL is only a couple months old and some tool wacked the rear passenger side door with their car door. Luckily, there is no body/paint damage. The plastic moulding absorbed the beating as it should, but the chrome strip is noticeably bent. I was just wondering if this is an expensive or difficult project for the dealership to do well.

Also, I do my best to park in spaces that aren't tight. I try to park a few spaces away from other cars so that there are always spaces that are closer to whatever building I'm going in. I try to do it in a not so obvious way so I don't get keyed. Still, it seems like (particulary when it is clean) that someone always parks right next to me even though there are twenty spaces closer. My father who has a black S Class said that he has noticed the same thing. Am I paranoid? I had a toyota 4Runner for 8 years prior to the GL and never got a door ding.
It really doesn't matter how far u park away,it's just human nature I guess.It really doesn't matter what ride u have,if it is a nice ride people just want to be be next to it because humans want to be near nice things.And by the way,I can't stand it either,but sh*t happens.For the answer to your question,it will be faster and cheaper to do it yourself if u know how to handle a screwdriver.Go to the parts counter at the dealer tell the the part you need and color,they may have to order it.Open the door that has the damaged molding,there will be a screw at the end of the straight side of the molding on the inside of the doors edge.Take out the screw,grab the frontend of the molding and move rearward and the molding comes off the door.Take the new part and reverse steps.u are done!probably saved u a $100 for a 5 minute job.Hope this helps.

Last edited by sinnginn; 08-20-2009 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
The side mouldings on the doors have one little T20 screw that holds on one end on the inside of each door...........and then the moulding just slides off on the outside.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM

15 GL550
Thanks so much. I really appreciate the feedback and I'll definitely do it myself.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 AM

camaro ss
Originally Posted by 43221B
Thanks so much. I really appreciate the feedback and I'll definitely do it myself.
No prob,that why we are here
Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM

gl450
I have the same problem. Can anyone tell me the part number and how much this should cost for this piece. I have a 2010 gl550 in white. Mine is also the pass rear door chrome/white trim.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 PM

15 GL550
Try, primepartssuperstore.com. It should run you $85-$100 depending on what package you have.