GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Ipod for 07 GL450?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl450
Ipod for 07 GL450?

Hi. I just bought a used GL450 (2007) yesterday which is loaded with just about everything but the ipod jack. Does anyone know how difficult it is to install, or roughly what a dealer would charge to do it? Also, is the blue tooth easy to program? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
you are looking at about $500 installed.

integration is weak though.

alex
few cars
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL450 (Alabaster White/Black Interior)
Originally Posted by alx
you are looking at about $500 installed.

integration is weak though.

alex
few cars
+1 on the integration being weak. I have the factory installed kit which I think was around $300. I would think $500 is about right to have it done at the dealer.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM

2014 GL 450
Originally Posted by BeanCounter
+1 on the integration being weak. I have the factory installed kit which I think was around $300. I would think $500 is about right to have it done at the dealer.

My dealer quoted me $900 for the install about a year or so ago Needless to say, I haven't done it. I use an after-market plug-in thing that goes off the radio stations. It's kind of a pain because I have to change radio stations to get a clear signal.

If I could get my dealer to do it for $500 would you say it's worth it? Can you expound upon "integration being weak" and what that exactly means? I'd hate to spend the $$ if it doesn't work well.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:10 PM

Jen,

For me, I think the integration is weak because you can't see any of the Ipod menus. The only place anything shows us in on the dash (where your odometer, etc. shows up) and it only shows the first 10 or so characters of the song being played. Also, unless I am missing something you have to scroll through all of your songs to get to the ones you want since you don't have access to the Ipod menus. I don't have all that many songs on mine but if you did that would be a true PITA. Maybe there is something you can do on your Ipod but since I am usually the only one in the car that might be a little dangerous. Also, the loudness was an issue when I first got it but my dealer did the upgrade which helped out a lot. Hope that helps and maybe someone else can advise me on improving what I am doing as far as song selection. I have also heard of dealers charging north of $800 which I think is a ripoff and would not do it.

Jeff
Old 08-29-2009, 10:38 PM

2014 GL 450
Jen,

For me, I think the integration is weak because you can't see any of the Ipod menus. The only place anything shows us in on the dash (where your odometer, etc. shows up) and it only shows the first 10 or so characters of the song being played. Also, unless I am missing something you have to scroll through all of your songs to get to the ones you want since you don't have access to the Ipod menus. I don't have all that many songs on mine but if you did that would be a true PITA. Maybe there is something you can do on your Ipod but since I am usually the only one in the car that might be a little dangerous. Also, the loudness was an issue when I first got it but my dealer did the upgrade which helped out a lot. Hope that helps and maybe someone else can advise me on improving what I am doing as far as song selection. I have also heard of dealers charging north of $800 which I think is a ripoff and would not do it.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff...I think I'll hold off. I have the Sirius radio and really don't listen to the iPod much, mainly because of the sound quality via the FM modulator.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Jen,

Jeff
Jeff,
I definitely agree that they missed their target a bit in this version, but I think it can be better than you have found it be so far. When you got it did you also get the little pamphlet that goes along with the iPod kit explaining how to scroll through the menus (if you got it, did you read it)? It's in NO WAY INTUITIVE, as you have to use the phone buttons on the steering wheel, and the up/down arrows on the left side as well (totally crazy, but it DOES WORK!), and the actual command has nothing to do with the iPod integration control, but you can actually scroll through the iPod menus just as you would on the iPod itself.
If you do not have the pamphlet, i'd be happy to scan and email to you. I am not great at checking PM's on here, so just repost that you have sent me one, and then i'll know to check!
Good luck-and yes, the inline amplifier was a MUST (which is now included)...otherwise i had to crank the sound up and then risk blowing the system when i turned it back to the regular radio or Sirius. Ah, the joys of being the guinea pigs in those first years

Last edited by carpersn; 08-30-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
The MB iPod adapter is a GD joke! From a technical perspective, it is just a kludge that has been added to the harness on the back of the Command unit so that they can tie into the existing AUX in. The only way they could display any information from the iPod was to send it to the CANBUS for display on the instrument panel. Because the AUX input is designed for warranty purposes rather than audio performance, the sound quality can only be described as beyond abysmal. The whole thing is clearly an afterthought that came way too late in the production cycle (on my ML the interface unit was taped to the harness with masking tape to hold it in place!). In all my years as an engineer, I have not seen such junk in a production situation - surely someone at MB should have been fired for this one.

Go with a Dension unit. It:

- interfaces with the MOST fiber optic ring
- costs about the same installed as a dealer MB unit
- displays the iPod info on the Command screen (where it belongs)
- provides true high quality audio (CD quality if use lossless encoding on your music)

My ML came with the MB unit (the performance of which, even with the in-line amp, caused me to vomit profusely) which I replaced with the Dension. Never been happier!.

- FD
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by carpersn
Jeff,
I definitely agree that they missed their target a bit in this version, but I think it can be better than you have found it be so far. When you got it did you also get the little pamphlet that goes along with the iPod kit explaining how to scroll through the menus (if you got it, did you read it)? It's in NO WAY INTUITIVE, as you have to use the phone buttons on the steering wheel, and the up/down arrows on the left side as well (totally crazy, but it DOES WORK!), and the actual command has nothing to do with the iPod integration control, but you can actually scroll through the iPod menus just as you would on the iPod itself.
If you do not have the pamphlet, i'd be happy to scan and email to you. I am not great at checking PM's on here, so just repost that you have sent me one, and then i'll know to check!
Good luck-and yes, the inline amplifier was a MUST (which is now included)...otherwise i had to crank the sound up and then risk blowing the system when i turned it back to the regular radio or Sirius. Ah, the joys of being the guinea pigs in those first years
I never got any kind of pamphlet. If you can e-mail me one that would be greatly appreciated..............
Old 10-23-2009, 12:08 PM

c
Mobridge unit is flawless
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 AM

GL450
Does anyone have this pamphlet ?

I have a 2008 GL450 and would love to be able to scroll through my Ipod menu's and such - I cant figure it out.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:47 PM

GL450
Hoping you still have that pamphlet

Originally Posted by carpersn
Jeff,
I know this is an old thread, and this is a long shot that you are ever going to see this, but
can you please send me a scan of the pamphlet for the IPOD interface for the 2007 GL 450? I have one but I can't figure out how to navigate it.
Thank you.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
It's too big to attach here, but you can grab it off the MBUSA site:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...class=GL-Class
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM

GL450
Thanks, but...

Thanks for the reply. I have this manual, it's the ipod pamplet that I need to get. Apparently, since this was an 'add on' it wasn't in the command manual.
Any idea where I can get that? Thanks again!

-Moose

Originally Posted by sak335
It's too big to attach here, but you can grab it off the MBUSA site:

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...class=GL-Class
Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
Are you referring to the Media Interface Add-on?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MediaInterfacePlusManual.pdf (1.01 MB, 801 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 PM

GL450
Thanks Again

First, I really want to thank you for helping me with this. This isn't it either. Apparently on 07 they had a optional ipod adapter. It used the AUX input and the only way to control it was through the steering wheel buttons. It only displayed on the little dash window in front of the steering wheel. That is why it's so hard to find the pamphlet for this. I had never seen one, but
"carpersn" posted about the pamphlet. Again, I want to thank you so much for your help, and I'm still holding out hope that someone may have one of these.

Thanks again!
-Moose

Originally Posted by sak335
Are you referring to the Media Interface Add-on?