GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Vizualogic driver dvd source option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Vizualogic driver dvd source option

Hello all, just got a 2009 gl450 with Vizualogic A-1250 dvd system. One of the things that is driving me nuts is that when playing a dvd from the main console, the Vizualogic screens don't seem to be able to pick up the same picture. Isn't that what the "driver dvd" source option is for? It would be very cool to have one dvd playing across all three screens. Any chance that I can get that to work?

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM

2011 BMW X5d, 2011 Nissan Leaf and Kubota L39 Tractor!
By main console, you mean the command system?

There is no easy way that I'm aware of to intergrate the command system with a third party DVD system.

Neil
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM

GL450
Yes by console I mean the command system.

It also dawned on me that Driver DVD source must mean driver side DVD...duh.

Anyway I was just hoping that the systems would be integrated somehow, thanks for the reply.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 CLS550, '17 Q7, '11 G550
You can have the two Vizualogic screen playing the same thing. Just set both to either drivers or passenger for the source and then use the DVD player on which ever on you picked as the source. I use the passenger one as its easier to pop DVD's in and out while crusing along....
Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM

GL450
I called the dealership and asked if there was a better way to source the sound through COMAND than the worthless FM modulation. They are getting back to me later so I'll update this board with info in case anyone else is curious.

So far I'm not very happy with the Vizualogic install, I think I would have held out for another system or skipped it altogether if I had to do it again.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 PM

2011 BMW X5d, 2011 Nissan Leaf and Kubota L39 Tractor!
Does the system work well using headphones for the two backseat passengers?

I'd like to buy a system like this. I don't need to watch the video up front. Just keep the kids entertained in the back.

Neil
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM

GL450
Neil,

It works fine with headphones, but if you have an extra child riding with you'll want to have the sound run through the vehicle's speakers. The Vizualogic system uses FM modulation for this, but it is so weak that it is almost unusable. If/when you do this see what you can do to make sure the sound is at least routed through the console. I just assumed this would be in place for my install. Who knows, maybe it is and I just don't know how to work it yet...

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM

GL450
Just spoke with the installer, he said FM modulation from Vizualogic is the only way to go for my vehicle. Bummer. My recommendation would be to stick with the stock system so that you can control it from COMAND and use the vehicle's speakers...without FM static.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:13 PM

2022 GLE 350; 2016 BMW 428i gran coupe; 2014 Audi Q5 tdi
I have the vizualogic system audio wired into the command so I can have the audio come through the vehicle's speakers. My vehicle is a '07 so I believe the command system is different than yours. I had my system installed at a custom auto audio/video shop (not the dealer). You may want to check with other shops to get this done.

The key for the older command with Ipod integration is to have an "Automatic Audio Selector Switch". See this thread for details https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...logic-dvd.html

Also see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/gl-c...or-switch.html
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM

Maydox - you can definitely hook up the Vizualogic system into your factory comand stereo system as long as there is a aux input for the '09. I also have a '07 with the AASS where I can have both the aux and a ipod connector. After I installed my AASS (you just need to get to the back of the Comand and plug it in) I just ran an RCA cable from the Vizualogic brain (I installed the brain in the seat back of my passenger seat) to the AASS 3.5mm hookup. Works perfect - I'm sure you can do the same on the '09. Dealer is useless when it comes to aftermarket stuff. They were no help for me to figure it out. Had to piece it all together from this forum! I did all this myself so I'm pretty familair with what to do...let me know if you have questions...
Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM

GL450
I actually spoke to the installer the dealer hired, he said that if I tried any of that the sound would definitely have a "whine". to it In fact when I questioned that he got pretty irritated with me - you know, he's the expert and all.

Anyway I'm encouraged to hear you guys got it done, I'm just not sure I've got it in me to find the Vizualogic heart under the seat and run the wire. I might ask around to some other audio installers here to see if they can hook me up for a reasonable price.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Maydox - The Vizualogic brain is probably not under the seat, its in the seat back portion (behind the back part of the upright section of the seat). Not that it makes it easier, but you could try a couple things to get the FM reception better.

1) Attached the brain there is a black single wire which is the antenna for the system. you'll see in the seat there are metal coils which you can just run the single wire through to make it stand straight up for better modulation.

2) The system has 4-5 preset FM channels you can use for the reception. Did you try all of them? Some come in much better than others. I got mine to a point where is was OK - except when you travel around reception went in and out.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM

2009 GL450
I realize that this is an old thread but it has the same questions I have. The COMAND on my GL has a built in DVD and I would like to have the video from the head unit play into the monitors. In addition to that, if and when I decide to play a DVD from the monitors is it possible to have the audio play through the car speakers? Would I need an AASS for an 09?