GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Question re 2009 GL Rear Entertainment System

Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL 320 bluetec
Question re 2009 GL Rear Entertainment System

I recently purchased a 2009 GL 320 with the rear entertainment system. For this, and other reasons (inoperable power tailgate), I brought the car in for service a few days ago because I could not get DVDs loaded in the front COMMAND DVD changer to play in the rear. I was later told by the service rep that the service technician had informed him that this is in fact the system's normal operation - that the rear entertainment system is single source (uses the DVD player located in the rear center console only) and that DVDs loaded up front in the COMMAND system DVD changer cannot be played in the rear. This is not how I understood the rear entertainment system to work. The sales rep (different dealership) that I purchased from said, and my reading of the manual would seem to suggest, that it is a dual source system and that DVDs loaded up front can be played in the rear. So which one of us is offbase here - me or the service rep/technician? The car goes back in for service in a week when the part needed to fix the tailgate issue arrives so looking to see if this is an issue that I need to go to the mat on or not. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 GL320 BTC; 07 BMW 335i
Originally Posted by davejbaum
I recently purchased a 2009 GL 320 with the rear entertainment system. For this, and other reasons (inoperable power tailgate), I brought the car in for service a few days ago because I could not get DVDs loaded in the front COMMAND DVD changer to play in the rear. I was later told by the service rep that the service technician had informed him that this is in fact the system's normal operation - that the rear entertainment system is single source (uses the DVD player located in the rear center console only) and that DVDs loaded up front in the COMMAND system DVD changer cannot be played in the rear. This is not how I understood the rear entertainment system to work. The sales rep (different dealership) that I purchased from said, and my reading of the manual would seem to suggest, that it is a dual source system and that DVDs loaded up front can be played in the rear. So which one of us is offbase here - me or the service rep/technician? The car goes back in for service in a week when the part needed to fix the tailgate issue arrives so looking to see if this is an issue that I need to go to the mat on or not. Thanks.
Dave - Both sale rep & technician didn't know what they were talking about! Yes the RSE CAN receive video or audio from the COMAND, I have confirmed that on my 320btc. Turn on your RSE, select System->Source->COMAND Video, then you should be able to watch DVD played from front headunit.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Load a DVD in the front command. Then turn on the RSE and with the remote choose your source (ie rear, or command) You can definitely send the DVD in the command to the RSE. My kids watch two different DVD's all the time
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E500 4matic, 2014 GL320, 2013 C300, 2015 Stingray
Screen angle...

Guys -

Is the screen angle adjustable? my kids are having issues with visibility?

Aceman
Old 09-04-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GL450
Originally Posted by aceman
Guys -

Is the screen angle adjustable? my kids are having issues with visibility?

Aceman
Not that I am aware of. The new design for the 09 was suppose to fix the angle/viewing difficulties. I will have to ask my kids if they have trouble seeing it. That haven't complained yet.