GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New GL350 comments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 plus a few Ducati's
New GL350 comments

In another thread I asked for advice prior to buying a 2010 GL350 and thank you to all those that responded.
Picked it up yesterday, white on black with a few options. It really is a large vehicle even after our Volvo XC90! ... took it for a business drive today of 280 miles of freeway from Seattle to eastern Washington.... combination of long flat straights and a mountain pass. 25 to 27 mpg average for the trip depending on hills etc so I am pretty pleased with that (or as pleased as I can be driving one of the few diesels in the US .... you guys are still way behind the rest of the world with fuel economy!). Indicated 670 mile range that was still reading 580 miles range after the 140 mile return trip!
Somewhat soft and perhaps overly compliant ride .... a little mushy in the suspension. XC90 was definitely a more nimble and taught vehicle.
Good steering response for such a large vehicle, smooth and comfortable, great visibility, feels very solid although I really came away with a "big box" feel, but I will get used to that. Would like some nicer wheels ... the stock wheels are just so so... I like the GL550 wheel but I don't believe it will fit .... any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM

07 GL420cdi, 07 ML63, 07 CL500 and more
The GL 550 wheels will fit no problem.
Do you have ADS, the switch for the suspension were you can put it in sport, comfort and normal?
Because in sport it's stiff!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 E320
Agree...with suspension in "Sport" (if you have ADS), the GL handles VERY well - reminds me of an x5 w/sport package.

GL550 21" wheels will fit, but good luck finding runflats for it. There is currently only ONE runflat tire w/proper load rating available that will fit the GL, and it is the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFT in 275/50/20.

Best bet is to find some better-looking 20's and use the factory tires, if you plan on sticking with runflats. I ended up throwing some 20" Forge-Tec wheels on with oe tires, and am keeping one of the original wheels as a spare (since we dont have one) and selling the other 3.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM

2007 GL450, 2006 Porsche 911, 2004 VROD
Adding ADS to GL450

How complicated it is adding a ADS(with sport/comfort buttons) to Non ADS GL450.

i think it involves a bit of re-programming suspension software in regards to extra comfort/sport switch and its harness.

please advice.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by ksdprasad
How complicated it is adding a ADS(with sport/comfort buttons) to Non ADS GL450.

i think it involves a bit of re-programming suspension software in regards to extra comfort/sport switch and its harness.

please advice.
Not mention four adjustable "shocks."

It's without doubt cost prohibitive and the better solution is to trade vehicles.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM

2010 GL350 Steel Gray
It will be very hard to find unless you order it with the vehicle new. Most people don't order it because they don't know what it is(most salespeople don't do a very good job at explaining exactly what it is) and secondly it is a special order item and the likelihood of a dealer having one in stock that he ordered that way pretty slim. It is $250 extra for special orders although you can add as many special order items you want for this fee. I also got the contour front seats and heated rears as part of the special order. I had it in my ML500 that I ordered because of comments I read on this forum and I like the ability to change the settings depending on where I'm driving. D.efinitely worth the $1400 it cost back then. The stock ML500 had steel springs and this was a way to get the air suspension as well. The ride in comfort mode is awesome on broken city streets like we have in NYC
I special ordered it on my 2010 GL350 which I should be getting tomorrow or the next day after waiting over 2 months for it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM

2010 R8 V10, 2013 Cayenne GTS, 2014 GLK 250
Lucky...

In Canada, you are stuck with the boat like ride, as the adaptive suspension is not available as an option. Really makes me want to order the vehicle in the US and bring it up here. Or else, have to consider one of the aftermarket options to lower the stance of the vehicle (I think Kleeman and/or Brabus make something to do this). The other option I imagine is to jump to the 21" AMG wheels or maybe 22" wheels to decrease the size of the sidewall and associated flex.

It still baffles me as to how Mercedes (and other manufacturers) decides which options are appropriate to make available to each market. And then the Canadian operations wonder why so many people want to bring US cars into Canada. Go figure.

Two questions:

i) has anyone here actually put the 21" AMG wheels on a GL 320/350/450? If so, did you place the wheel arch flares on as well and how did that go?

ii) I tried to check the options available for the GL350 online at mbusa.com. Under options or accessories I could not find an option for adding the adaptive suspension. How do you specify the addition of that option?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Mike472
It is $250 extra for special orders although you can add as many special order items you want for this fee.
Excuse the "F" out of me?!? Are you not already paying for the parts, as well as the fact it's a Mercedes to begin with, being purchased through the dealer who is also going to get money out of the deal? Wow, I would make the special order, and then say "We'll negotiate a price, but that $250 b.s. fee goes away or I'm walking."

What is it, an extra $250 for filling out paperwork? What a load of !

STP

PS Er, um, merry Christmas?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2018 AMG GTR, gone 2017 AMG GT, 2015 GL 550, 2008 GL320, 1992 e500
Originally Posted by 2thdr
In Canada, you are stuck with the boat like ride, as the adaptive suspension is not available as an option. Really makes me want to order the vehicle in the US and bring it up here. Or else, have to consider one of the aftermarket options to lower the stance of the vehicle (I think Kleeman and/or Brabus make something to do this). The other option I imagine is to jump to the 21" AMG wheels or maybe 22" wheels to decrease the size of the sidewall and associated flex.

It still baffles me as to how Mercedes (and other manufacturers) decides which options are appropriate to make available to each market. And then the Canadian operations wonder why so many people want to bring US cars into Canada. Go figure.

Two questions:

i) has anyone here actually put the 21" AMG wheels on a GL 320/350/450? If so, did you place the wheel arch flares on as well and how did that go?

ii) I tried to check the options available for the GL350 online at mbusa.com. Under options or accessories I could not find an option for adding the adaptive suspension. How do you specify the addition of that option?

Thanks!

I considered the 21"AMG wheels and found a set last year barely used. The downside is limited tire availability as mentioned above. I went with 22" Brabus monobloc with 305 scorpio P zeros. Fit perfectly. It does kick up more dirt on the front doors and with side steps, there are no mud flaps for it. I ended up putting on 3m clear bra below the side door bumpers. The GL 550 flares are above $1000

Last edited by cab4kw; 12-24-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
Excuse the "F" out of me?!? Are you not already paying for the parts, as well as the fact it's a Mercedes to begin with, being purchased through the dealer who is also going to get money out of the deal? Wow, I would make the special order, and then say "We'll negotiate a price, but that $250 b.s. fee goes away or I'm walking."

What is it, an extra $250 for filling out paperwork? What a load of !

STP

PS Er, um, merry Christmas?
$250 is a bargain when considering that this special order fee years ago was $1000.00 and that was for "special" colors or upholstry.It is an actual fee from MB, not the dealer and it appears on the MSRP sticker.