Thoughts on pre-paid maintenance for GL350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
Thoughts on pre-paid maintenance for GL350

Any thoughts on the relative value of pre-paid maintenance for a 2010 GL350? The dealer is asking $1334 for 3 years / 30K miles. Apparently Add Blue is not inexpensive(?) but unsure when this needs to be replaced...is it after 30K miles?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI, 2004 VW V10 Touareg TDI
Unlikely Adblue is included. Adblue is a consumable, like fuel, not like a lubricant. The Adblue tank needs to be filled each oil change and would normally be in addition to that service. The 'Adblue' urea solution is available at VW - Audi dealers at a MUCH reduced price - BUT you will have to devise your own funnel to get into the tank.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Find out what the "A", "B" and the rest of the services cost at your dealer, then guesstimate which ones you might need based on how many miles you expect to drive or at least figure on one service a year. Also check if anything else is covered and then do the math.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have an 07 GL450 with 55,000 miles. I've had service at 13,000 (service A), 27,000 miles (Service B), 39,000 (Service A) and 54,000 miles (Service B). I know the service B is the more expensive and my dealer charges about $450 for it. Service A is $250.

Of course your MB will tell you when it's time for service, and I'm confident they won't do maintenance unless the computer says it's time. My experience has been it's usually between 12-15K miles for service. I'm not sure how the diesel service is different, but I have to believe a 30,000 pre-paid will only give you 2 services. Is there something else included that would justify the price? Maybe it is the urea.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
Thanks Jim. I believe the only other service within the 30K period is Urea/AdBlue every 10,000, which may require flushing of the tank and lines(?).
Old 12-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Where did 'flushing the tank and lines' come from? As long as specification Urea solution is used, there should be no need for this step.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
So no flushing is required? I was under the impression that the stuff needed to be completely refilled and refreshed.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
FYI, I found this on ATV Nation site. It states that urea has a life of only 2 years. I guess that is why I thought it needed a flush to ensure only "fresh" AdBlue is placed into the system.

"BlueTec - AdBlue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) F.A.Q.

What is BlueTec?

BlueTec is a modular concept that utilizes several coordinated technical measures to minimize emissions within the engine and also provide for effective exhaust-gas treatment downstream. Specifically, it involves an oxidation catalytic converter to reduce carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons, a particulate filter and new techniques for reducing nitrogen oxide emissions. Achieving the latter goal starts in the engine itself, which reduces engine-out emissions through a combination of electronic engine control systems, four-valve cylinder heads, third-generation common-rail direct injection, variable-geometry turbochargers and exhaust-gas recirculation.

2. What is AdBlue?

AdBlue is an ISO 22241 Compliant Diesel Exhaust Fluid composed of 32.5% Solution of Urea in demineralized water. AdBlue acts as a reducing agent used in conjunction with Mobile and Stationary Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) emission control equipment. Urea decomposes to Ammonia (NH3) through hydrolysis at elevated exhaust temperatures after injection into the exhaust stream converting NOX to Nitrogen and Water.

3. How do I get AdBlue?

AdBlue should be refilled at the regular service intervals at your Mercedes Benz dealership, but if necessary, fuel stations and service areas are suitably equipped with AdBlue refill bottles. (Refill bottles are also available at your Mercedes Benz dealership.)

4. How often does the AdBlue tank need to be refilled?

At service intervals of 10k miles.

5. Can I refill the AdBlue tank on my own?

Yes, you can use the ½ gallon refill bottle. 2 bottles are required for resetting of vehicle when the instrument cluster indicates "Remaining Starts: 0

7. Where is the AdBlue tank?

The AdBlue tank is located in the cargo compartment in place of the spare tire.

8. Is there a spare tire?

There is no spare tire. The vehicle is equipped with run-flat tire

9. Do I have to wait for the light to come on or can I just top off the AdBlue tank when its half-full?

Mercedes Benz recommends having the AdBlue tank serviced at the recommended service interval (10k miles) and only add AdBlue if the instrument cluster indicates Check additive," or "Remaining Starts: X

11. Are the vehicles going to be shipped with a full tank of AdBlue?

Yes

12. Does the AdBlue tank have level indicators?

Yes, it has 3 stages; full, level low (check additive), then Check."Remaining Starts "20-0".

13. Has the decision been made on, when working on the tank or going to refill the tank do you pump out the tank then refill with fresh AdBlue?

The tank must be evacuated every 2 years.

14. What is the shelf life of AdBlue?

2 years after filling the AdBlue tank.

15. Is there a way to check the AdBlue for impurities or age?

Yes, must be checked by Mercedes Benz.

16. Can the AdBlue be over filled?

When using the AdBlue refill bottle, The AdBlue tank can not be overfilled.

17. Does the AdBlue tank have any type of pressure relief valve for cases where the reservoir heats up to or above 122 degrees F?

Yes

18. Can AdBlue freeze?

Yes, AdBlue freezes at 12 degrees F.

19. Since AdBlue can freeze at 12 degrees F does the preheating system work while the vehicle is off? [/size][/b][/font]

No, the preheating system is only operational while the vehicle is running.

20. If not, then can the AdBlue tank be damaged if a full tank of AdBlue freezes solid?

If properly maintained/filled, the tank can not be damaged by the AdBlue freezing.

21. How many MB vehicles with this technology will be in the market?

CY08 - 4000
CY09 - 10,000 - 15,000

29. What are the primary markets for these vehicles?

Concentration is California, NY, NJ, Texas, Florida, Penn., Conn., Colorado, Maryland, Michigan, Illinois, NC, Ohio, Mass. "
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
OT: BTW I got 28.5 mpg on the way home from the dealership...all highway, which quickly dropped to 24.5 mpg combined in urban/suburban traffic. Overall, not bad for a heavy truck that has not yet been broken in...100 miles on the odometer.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by dbtk
OT: BTW I got 28.5 mpg on the way home from the dealership...all highway, which quickly dropped to 24.5 mpg combined in urban/suburban traffic. Overall, not bad for a heavy truck that has not yet been broken in...100 miles on the odometer.
As you've only got 100 on the ODO, I must assume that's per the COMAND system? It'll be interesting to see what the "actual" (i.e. "Your Mileage May Vary") numbers turn out to be.

STP
Old 12-27-2009, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

600 SWB
I will find out tomorrow when I refill and start a roadtrip to Providence and Boston and then back to CT.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM

re: 'flushing the AdBlu system
I cannot imagine any reasonable circumstance where the entire contents of the AdBlu system would not be completely emptied on its own at least every two years. Thus the system is self flushing. To make sure of this, I would wait for the indicator to show "X starts left" (where X = 0 to 20) before adding to or refilling the AdBlu tank. This makes sure the tank is at or nearly at empty before refilling. None of the 'old' stuff thus remains.

Only if the vehicle is driven MUCH less than 10,000 mi in TWO years would the age of the AdBlu solution be of any concern. ie if you only drove 5K mi in two years, the AdBlu tank might be only half full when new AdBlu is added and you would have half the mixture that is 2 years old. Not to worry!
Since DIN 70070 (see DGMK research report 616-1) makes NO mention of ANY shelf life or storage limitations when the AdBlu is kept between -11C (the eutectic temperature) and +50C (when it begins to break down into ammonia and water), I find it hard to imagine there may be any real problem.