GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Service A messed up my GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Service A messed up my GL550

I took my 2009 GL for it's first regularly scheduled maintenance (Service A) @ 10k miles yesterday. I had no issues with the car but before I could even get home I noticed:

A) my rear lift gate will no longer open (tried key fob, button on rear lift gate, and button on drivers side door).

B) My navigation is all screwed up - I can only see MAJOR roads and all neighborhood/side roads are no longer on the screen.

I called the dealer and obviously they told me to bring it back in today as they think it's probably software related, but my question is are there other things I need to be concerned with? This doesnt leave a good impression with me given it's my first maintenance and more things are screwed up after I picked it up then when I dropped it off? Not sure if there are any techs out there that can give a heads up on other things I need to look for that also might have been affected.

I really only have one option regarding factory maintenance short of driving 3 hours out of my way to get to the next closest dealer so please dont give the advice of taking my vehicle to another authorized MB service station.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by Franman
my question is are there other things I need to be concerned with?
Two things;

1) Your service provider. Are they being professional? Are they just being dumb (has happened to me with a provider I still trust)? Or are they incompetent? (Assuming it's not just the "zoom" on your map, you might want to check and see if the DVD is still in there.)

2) Rear liftgate problems. If it's not opening properly, when it does get fixed, make sure it also closes properly. This means you need to open it either with the key fob or your door control, and close it either with the key fob, the button on the liftgate, or the driver's side door control. Then put it in gear and go to drive away - it's only at this point that you'll know for sure if the gate is closing properly (you'll get a COMAND warning on your dashboard if it is not).

The liftgate seems to be a point of nastiness for a lot of people, and now mine's misbehaving on my '07 320 (though it has been, ahem, a bit abused).

STP
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Thanks STP.

I took the vehicle back in to the dealer last week. After waiting over 3 hours (for something that was supposed to take 45 minutes), they gave me my keys and told me I was good to go.

I tested out the lift gate (both open and close) and all was well. They said recall work was performed which required clearing and reprogramming the lift gate, and in the process the "code" used to control it must have been entered incorrectly. Whatever, it's working now.

I did notice on the way home that my Navi was STILL not working correctly - same issue of all the major streets/highways showing up but all minor streets (i.e. neighborhood roads) werent showing up. Very strange indeed and since the '09 is HDD based on not disc based, I was at a loss for how this is happening and immediately phoned the dealer to voice my displeasure. I did not want to turn back and spend more time sitting in the dealership as it was already two in the afternoon.

Navi continued to show same issues over the weekend (yes I went thorugh all the options to make sure it wasnt something in the menus, but there is no option to "make some roads disappear" or even anything remotely similar all kidding aside. So a third appt was scheduled for Wed of this week.

On the way to work today, it appears as if all the minor roads are now back on my Navi (again I havent changed any options). Not sure if during the "reprogramming" that perhaps all the info hadnt downloaded yet and it finally come through via some over-the-air method? Anyknow know more about this than I do?

Interestingly enough as a perhaps related side note, I tried to use the "Search and send" functionality that MB advertised heavily on the 09 GL specs on their website recently (this was mid-Dec) and received an error message on google maps saying "Sorry, we were unable to send this message at this time. Please visit the help page."

I have used the Search and Send with NO issues since buying the vehicle back in April *numerous* times. A call placed to MB via my "INFO" button in the vehicle connected me with an operator who told me this service would be unavailable for some time (she was quite vague) and that they would be happy to send directions remotely to me via TeleAid at no charge during this period. I again have no idea why this service suddenly stopped working (one of the fews "perks" that would make me consider renewing my TeleAid subscription when my free year expires in April 2010) as I used the feature frequently. This feature still is not working - not that this has anything to do with my problems, but just an additional annoyance related to MB and their Navi.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
The liftgate is a piece of crap. My truck has been serviced four times (still "misbehaving"), but in the stealer over seven, the other times they couldn't reproduced the issue, so I had to send them pics from my cell phone.
During one of these services, one of my RES screens was damaged, but they claimed it was fine when I left the shop, so it's my fault.
I will never buy a MB again as long as I live in a town where there is only one stealership.