GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 BMW X5 xdrive35d vs. 2008 Mercedes Benz GL320CDI- a comparative review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 and Nissan Armada
I just saw this blog at consumer reports, so does it really worth getting the diesel suvs to get more MPG
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...-of-green.html

Mercedes-Benz GL320 BlueTec--Feeling a bit AdBlue over spending a lot of green
It wasn’t enough that our GL320 is feeling a bit inferior now that Mercedes-Benz changed its name to GL350. (No, the displacement didn’t increase--even the GL320 designation was something of a fib, given the engine was a 3.0-liter.)

Around 16,000 miles, our GL displayed a warning light saying that it was running low on AdBlue. This urea-based additive is necessary to keep the turbodiesel emissions-compliant; it is injected into the exhaust tract to break down smog-producing nitrogen oxide into nitrogen in a catalytic converter.

Normally the AdBlue would have been topped off by the dealer at a regular oil change. But with 80+ cars here each year, and multiple lifts and mechanics, it would be a needless hassle and expense to take every car to the dealer to change the oil. Since we had changed our GL’s oil ourselves, we wound up making a trip to the dealer to get AdBlue added. (We also had to get a shorted-out taillight repaired under warranty, plus get a software update and recall addressed.)

The total bill just for adding AdBlue? A stunning $316.99. We were down to 18% full on the additive at 16,566 miles. It took 7.5 gallons to fill the tank, costing an eye-opening $241.50 for the fluid alone. The labor to add the fluid plus tax accounted for the rest. None of this was covered by the warranty.

There are virtues in buying the diesel GL Class. It’s the least expensive GL, which is a very nice SUV (even if it isn’t reliable in our survey data). And the recorded 19 mpg overall in our tests is pretty good for a three-row SUV -- even if that just rivals a more prosaic minivan’s fuel economy. You also have an impressive 615-mile cruising range. The diesel provides sub-10-second 0-60 mph times and appealing mid-range torque. You could even get a tax break.

But let’s extrapolate the AdBlue budget. At the current rate and cost of consumption, just the AdBlue itself (without the labor, which would probably be included as part of the routine service) would cost $1,457.80 for 100,000 miles of driving. That’s a lot of money, knocking about a third off of your fuel savings vs. buying a GL450 V8. (You can’t buy a gasoline-powered V6 GL).

Our AdBlue consumption might be a bit on the high side. After all, Mercedes says AdBlue consumption will be increased in “more demanding situations e.g. when towing a trailer,” and I did use the GL320 to tow my T@B teardrop for a few hundred miles. (I got about the same mileage and performance towing it with the diesel as I do with my Honda Odyssey.) Our acceleration tests probably also took their toll. But these activities didn’t account for the bulk of the GL’s miles, so our usage probably isn’t that far off.

Maybe it isn’t a surprise that keeping a $67,000 Mercedes-Benz turbodiesel SUV on the road will cost a lot of money. But it just adds to our argument that offering diesels in mostly luxury models here in this market (VW’s TDI is a notable exception) isn’t helping put their best foot forward. It also makes BMW’s offer of free maintenance (including AdBlue) up to 50,000 miles look more enticing.

—Tom Mutchler, photos by Jeff Bartlett.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
Originally Posted by 4u4me
I just saw this blog at consumer reports, so does it really worth getting the diesel suvs to get more MPG
On one of the other threads you'll see that the AdBlue can be had for quite a lot less in a variety of places, from the VW dealership to truck stops. It's a ridiculous charge Mercedes makes for the stuff, and it's precisely the same stuff as everyone else uses. It's also apparently quite easy to fill as well, if you're careful, so it makes no sense to do it at the dealership.

Of course, you could also just buy an earlier model year that doesn't bother with that junk. Like me.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 GL320-wife '11E350-me
I bought a 2.5 gallon container of DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) for around $13 at a Pilot Travel Center (also available at Travel Centers of America and also VW dealerships--I have been told) to have on standby if I have to add DEF to the tank before my next service. I live over an hour from the dealer so it is quite expensive and inconvenient to let the dealer fill my adblue tank. I also talked the the service manage and SA and they said they would fill the adblue tank with the DEF I had purchased. I can fill the tank myself, but liked this reassurance from them, because the adblue tank will have to be flushed in the future, so I will let these guys do the service and add my DEF.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I just bought 3 X 2.5 gal containers of DEF at Travel Centers of America for 9.98 ea. Just a heads up, when you go to take the first cap off, it only turns slightly and then you have to lift up as you turn. It is a bizarre thread that will make you think you need a wrench to get it off. You don't.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by Brocktoon
sorry, scotty but the mb engine is not laggy at all if driven correctly, and is working right from the ecu point of view. When I first test drove the 320, I got one fresh of the truck prior to pdi, and it was laggy and almost imposiblebto drive. All the others I have tried have been lag free. Having driven various mopar, porsche, Audi, vw and Saab turbos over the years, I can tell you the mb is the most seamless and lag free I have ever driven. If there is lag, it is an electonic or computer fault. The turbo is small and low pressure with the variable vanes: no reason to feel itthat much
Brocktoon - not to beat a dead horse, but how do you explain to your wife "you aren't driving it right?" Mine has lag, it lags when you are at a dead stop and want to take off quickly. When you are rolling forward and then hit it, there is minimal if no lag. That is what we are talking about. It exists in every turbo diesel I have driven since the mid-80's.