GLK Loaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 RX330, 2008 Scion xB, 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid, 2010 Toyot Prius v ATP
GLK Loaner

One of the things that Schumacher has done is to add GLK 350's to the loaner lineup (or I guess whoever is running Enterprise's shop there is doing so). Just to get it out of the way, the styling is simply not to my liking. But as it is considered by most to be a derivative of the GL, I made some interesting notes (this not being my first GLK drive as a loaner).

First, the unturbocharged gas engine is really nice. It makes a really nice note when your foot is down, even for its size. And it has some good get-up-and-go. Braking action on the noticeably lighter chassis is not too different from the GL, with similar brake pedal feel (to me), which some have commented on as being soft or mushy.

Handling is closer to the ML, though the bulk of the weight feels to be below the roofline. This could be a trick of the eye on the design, as the windsheild is really, really tall.

Seating is somewhere between the same and less comfortable, depending on who you ask, with driver's controls (including powered headreast) on the door and passengers (excepting the manual headrest) on the seat. Confusing. Plus the lumbar support, powered on the driver's side, is a little strange as it can be moved up and down a bit; not so the passenger side. Of course there's no third row.

Okay, big deal, this should be posted on the GLK board, right? Except here is where I get, I don't know, annoyed. I'm scrolling through the System settings to set up the lighting and convenience and so forth to my liking (it can take me 5 minutes to get out of the dealership because I get picky). And just to look, I check the TPM system. Where I saw four individual numbers, one by each tire. This annoyed me. But I had to leave and I went to back out of the parking space where I'd set up the mirrors and everything. It was really easy to do because the right mirror dipped. D'oh! And for my own enjoyment, I set the shifting pattern on the transmission from "comfort" to "sport". Double d'oh! Lastly of course is the much, much clearer lighting setting of "Daytime Running Lights - On or Off". Come on! Every radio station has the information displayed, as does the Sirius without having to hit the "Info" button. Ugh!

Anyway, it's weird, it just seems like so many stupid little things they could've done for the GL, they did instead on the GLK. Now I know the updated COMAND has radio station info (and HD radio, which it doesn't seem like this non-NAV-equipped GLK has), but what about the TMPS numbers? Mirror dip? C/S switch on the transmission?

Thank you for reading my rant. I feel much better now.

Steve
Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
2010 Models

Well, these advances are on the GLK because it is a 2010 model. Of course, there might be some improvements in the onboard computer.

The 2010 GL class now displays each individual tire pressure like the new GLK and ML. In the 2010 GL, the right side mirror also dips. It's now called the "parking support mirror." I agree with you on the Comfort/Sport mode but that is an option. It is also an option for the 2007-2009 GL's. On my 2010, the Sirius radio and normal radio information is also displayed. Also, I can choose whether to turn on my Daytime Running Lamps and could do the same on my 2008 and 2009 GL's.

Trust me, if Mercedes added these options and extras to the 2010 GLK, they would do it to the 2010 GL too (which they did).

Every year, new added extras are given to the GL class and it may not be available on all model years.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
The 2009 GL also had the power lumbar support which could move up and down. Also, the 2010 GL has a manual passenger headrest and no lumbar support (on the 2009 GL, both the driver and passengers seat had automatic headrests and power lumbar support which could move up and down).
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amaycg
(on the 2009 GL, both the driver and passengers seat had automatic headrests and power lumbar support which could move up and down).
2007 headrests were power as well, as was the (stationary) lumbar support. I will say the GLK's sportier drive isn't too terrible and I both like and dislike the full panorama roof (which offers glass - plexi, I assume, or something like what the GL has - to the rear seat passengers) because it's expansive, but the rolling "shutter" is some kind of translucent fabric and doesn't block out all the sun. Yes, the rearmost passengers have a clear roof on the GL (with manual shade, at least on my 2007).

I dunno, there are so many things I love about my GL, it just doesn't make economic sense for me to upgrade to a 2010 diesel for the electronics.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Originally Posted by StevethePilot
it is considered by most to be a derivative of the GL
That would be in error, as the GLK is actually based on the C-class.

Which explains (so far) why they're built in Germany and not Alabama like everything "dervived from the GL," i.e. ML and R-class. They're built on C-class assembly lines.

Alabama-made Mercedes get Alpine radios while European-made Mercedes generally get Becker units, although that could have changed for the C-class.

The so-called NTG 2.5 COMAND units began with most 2009 models (maybe earlier on C-class) and are indeed quite different from earlier versions.

I hate the GLK styling, thinking always of Secks and the City, especially when I see a white one. They are massively over-engined and over-tired in USA versions, but a 4-cylinder diesel is coming.

Last edited by lkchris; 01-29-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by lkchris
That would be in error, as the GLK is actually based on the C-class.

I hate the GLK styling, thinking always of Secks and the City, especially when I see a white one. They are massively over-engined and over-tired in USA versions, but a 4-cylinder diesel is coming.
A) Ah! I wasn't aware. (Obviously!)
B) It's good to know MB is bringing a diesel 4 to its lineup.

STP
Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I had service (transmission service was due) and waited for it to get done. I had time to sit in a 2010 GL and GLK in the showroom. Electronically they were similar. The GLK didn't have navigation, so I am curious if the display is bigger with navigation. I like the electronic upgrades of the COMAND but like you STP can't justify upgrading for just that.