GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

ouch.... door damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 GL320 CDI
ouch.... door damage

And here I thought my vehicle was unmolested... I took the GL to the dealer for the first time (since I've owned it) for a little service and to get the iphone/ipod integration and dock installed.

As background, I'd developed a pretty good relationship with the PO and was pleased with his honesty and disclosure during the sale. About 10 months ago, he had the drivers mirror replaced ($750) due to hitting it on his garage door frame while backing out. No biggie-- or so I thought. It turns out that when the mirror was damaged, the sheetmetal on the door skin was also buckled (did not crack the paint). For the untrained eye its difficult to see, but bad enough that wind noise develops at higher speeds (at 65-70+, not noticed on test drives).

When I called the PO today, he insists that the dealer did not make him aware of the additional damage. The dealer says they did and the PO elected to not repair (the door damage nor the POs wishes were documented on the repair order. Just the mirror r&r). I'm still believing the PO...

All this said, has anyone else hit their side mirror and had door damage occur? The bodyshop is making me feel a little better (by saying that due to the nice MB sheetmetal its not a huge repair and could actually be paintless) and they will get to see it soon. This is a nice kick in the junk and I'm not amused... I guess it could be much worse.

Rant over....
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 AM

2008 GL450
I'd be slightly annoyed at that as well. When will it be fixed?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Unfortunately, you never know what you are going to get when you buy a preowned vehicle! Remember you did not buy a new vehicle. Take it to reputable shop. It should be able to be fixed good as new with either PDR or conventional body work.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM

07 GL320 CDI
Yup, I agree...it is preowned and vehicles get damaged. Its frustrating that it wasn't dealt with properly by the OP and the dealer.

We just lease returned an 08 MKX that had all of the pass side sheetmetal replaced. It was a very nicely done repair (nicest I've ever had on a newer model), but we didn't want to deal with the future disclosure. The day that we had the return inspection done (to keep options open), my wife was broadsided in it.