GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Broken Lug Removal by MB Dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 BMW 318is, 2009 GL 320 BlueTec
Broken Lug Removal by MB Dealership

Since I upgraded my 20" rims to 22'' Munich rims and Nitto tires as shown in prior threads and purchased my tires from a local Discount Tire store I had my scheduled tire rotation performed last week which is included in the purchase price. Unfortunately, during the process a lug nut which I had also purchased from DT broke off in the hub. The manager referred me to a local mechanic who they routinely use in these instances; he refused to touch the vehicle merely because it's a Mercedes Benz and advised DT's manager that the job needed to be performed at the MB dealership.

After again confirming that the issue would be covered at DT's expense by talking to the manager, I scheduled an appointment and had the repair completed yesterday within about one hour; it consisted of the tech taking the wheel off, tapping out the fragment, and replacing the wheel on the hub. The final cost to DT was a astonishing... $322.50!!!!! I actually received a copy of this ridiculous invoice. I also had to go back to DT to get new lug nut installed!

It nice to know that the dealership equally screws everyone!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 179 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You were, in fact, screwed by Discount Tire, as you're clearly dealing with incompetents. Did they pay you for your wasted time?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 AM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by eurodok
Since I upgraded my 20" rims to 22'' Munich rims and Nitto tires as shown in prior threads and purchased my tires from a local Discount Tire store I had my scheduled tire rotation performed last week which is included in the purchase price. Unfortunately, during the process a lug nut which I had also purchased from DT broke off in the hub. The manager referred me to a local mechanic who they routinely use in these instances; he refused to touch the vehicle merely because it's a Mercedes Benz and advised DT's manager that the job needed to be performed at the MB dealership.

After again confirming that the issue would be covered at DT's expense by talking to the manager, I scheduled an appointment and had the repair completed yesterday within about one hour; it consisted of the tech taking the wheel off, tapping out the fragment, and replacing the wheel on the hub. The final cost to DT was a astonishing... $322.50!!!!! I actually received a copy of this ridiculous invoice. I also had to go back to DT to get new lug nut installed!

It nice to know that the dealership equally screws everyone!
Why do you care? Not your expense.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
I would not go anywhere that does not use a torque wrench for tightening lugs. Impact wrenches are fine for removal, but not for tightening. There are a whole host of problems that can arise from not using a torque wrench to evenly tighten your lugs to MB specifications. As I posted in a previous thread, the dealership that sold me my GL used an impact wrench to tighten my locking lugs and it ended up costing them about $2,000 (and me a lot of headaches) in new wheels and labor after the lugs had to be drilled out.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:31 PM

1992 BMW 318is, 2009 GL 320 BlueTec
Originally Posted by teeth
Why do you care? Not your expense.
My time is valuable to me!