GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

URGENT Safety Issue! Scissor Jack problem...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I don't know, I've had to use them before and they seem sketchy. The metal is thin and you have no way of knowing if the welds are good unless you try it out (and I'm sure each one isn't tested at the factory).

If I need a small jack at home I have a little bottle jack that I use. I have no scientific way of knowing that it's safer, it just seems more rugged and less like a Chinese toy. To each their own - obviously they work most of the time anyway.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
Originally Posted by alx
and on a unrelated study 45% of regular adults between 18 and 45 could not pound a 3" nail with a hammer all the way into soft wood without bending the nail... so... i would say that your 18% + 8% for of total of 26% all-thumbs-folks still leaves (45-26)= 19% unaccounted klutzes

you take for granted that people have "mechanical" common sense. which is simply not true.

when properly used on secured vehicle a scissor jack albeit being a little slow does the job just fine. if this was not the case no car manufacturer would equip their cars with such, but would include a full-blown hydraulic floor jack. they dont. draw your conclusions.
Solid response!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
Thank you for the warning about the jack. I will take extra care when/if i ever have to use it.

Personally i have instructed my family to call 1 800 4 Mercedes if they have a flat, use a trolley jack and stands at home, and would use common sense for the placement of this type of jack were it to be used.

It is interesting to see how passionate people get over MB topics though.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Jack Mount Failure 2007 ML350

I had jacked up the front passenger side of my 2007 ML350. Both back wheels were blocked with automotive wheel blocks. The parking brake was engaged, and the vehicle was in park with the motor off. The vehicle was parked on my cement driveway. I carefully place the jack to ensure it engaged into the jack mount and that the base of the jack was secure and stable on the cement. I loosened the lug nuts prior to jacking the car. After removing the wheel, I rolled the wheel out of the way and went to get a jack stand from the opposite side of the vehicle. Moments later, the vehicle fell. The jack mount had failed and the extended jack damaged the front fender, jack mount, and underside of the vehicle.
I believe I took all reasonable precautions in jacking the car and I am very surprised and concerned that this occurred. I could have been seriously injured. These jacks are typically for use under much less ideal conditions.
This failure of the jack mount resulted in almost $2000 in damage to the vehicle. Luckily it is only damage to the car - it could have been much worse if I was near or under the car when it happened.
I took it to a local MB dealer. Service manager was not there. I contacted him by email asking if I could drop by to show him. He suggested it was not their fault and not under warranty so nothing they could do. When I replied I thought it was a safety/recall issue, he never replied back. I have contacted MD USA head office. Let's see what they say. I have also filed a complaint with NHTSA.