GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

GL550 vs Cayenne S family car..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Originally Posted by Devil Red
For around-town driving and anything other than smooth pavement/long highway, the Porsche blows the GL 550 away. I spent the past few days driving my wife's while she was away with the kids, and it confirmed my initial impressions before we bought: the GL doesn't know what it wants to be. She likes it and that's fine by me, but the thing shudders, shakes and shimmies like it's fighting itself when you hit most kinds of road imperfections. I feel M-B did a POOR job of straddling "sport" vs. "luxury". JMO so no need to convince me I'm wrong. Now for trips it's the best. Very comfortable to eat up miles of interstate. If you do mostly highway or don't need the 3rd row/space, then I'd go with the Porsche in a second. I'd shoot myself if I had to drive the GL every day, but that's my personal ride/handling bias that comes from many years and many different kinds of rides.
I felt the same when we had our GL450. I can only tolerate it on long, long distance drive and Home Depot runs.

John
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG & 2009 Cayenne Turbo S
I own a 2004 Cayenne Turbo and a 2003 s600. As far as SUV's go, you won't find a better one, assuming performance comes into question. I also have two children, both under 13 months, so my biggest complaint is the size. Not a lot of room for a rear facing car seat. I haven't driven my car on the track, but I have been to Porsche driving school in Alabama and the Cayenne is truely an amazing machine.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I at one point had a 2004 Turbo Cayenne... loved the car but after 2 years.. Porsche took it back under the lemon law... I still loved it.

the new Cayenne is much bigger in the back seat than the old one... so the old car isn't even a contender in my mind for a family car..

but as I was sitting at the dealer pricing the car out.. it got to 100,500 $$ for the car exactly the way I wanted it... I started to get sick... the salesman then reminded me of th 2010 used Turbo sitting up stairs that he said had sold for $140K and that now he would sell me for $96K wth a warranty that stretched out a total of 6 years and 100k miles..plus cheaper financing.. at that point, I tiold him that I needed to think about things (this was last Monday).

I went home... got online and started looking for used 2010 GL550s .. now I can buy a car that is certified (extra year of warranty and 100K vs the factory for a new car) +++ I can get 1.99% which is cheaper than money for the new car! I found that I could buy a 2010 GL for about $78K with 3-7k miles... not to bad.

even better.. I found a 2008 with 20k on it for $55K ... bought an erxtended warranty for $2500 (so now I'm out to 2014 and 100K).

I puled the 08 up beside the 2010 ... and the differences were not worth $40K

DONE!! so now I'm the proud owner of a GL that I bought cheap enough that it doesn't bother me that the car is getting replaced in 2 years.. much better than $87K for a 2011 that is essentially the same car.

I have to admit that the baby can still kick the back of my seat!!! hahaha

Thanks for everyone's help.

btw.. the GL550 is a beast!! it drives completely different than the GL450 and diesels.. a little over boosted in the steering and mushy brakes.. but still totally awesome.

I can always wait fo the used 2012 Cayenne Turbo for $85K!! (the Cayenne does drive better in sporty mode.. but not as comfortable by a long shot than a GL)
Attached Thumbnails GL550 vs Cayenne S family car..-img_1247.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Charger, Saab & Aston
I think you made the right choice. These high-end manufacturer's need a gut-check on their pricing b/c their products depreciate like bricks falling off the Empire State Building. I think I decided to stop taking the hit for someone else and consider used. BMW is getting bad, Porsche is worse. M-B still offers some value, if you can call it that in some cases. You saved a pile of money, got a decent used truck that will give you 90+% of the new one and have very little chance of buyer's remorse.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 PM

2013 G63, 2015 S500, 2016 C63 coupe
how I wished we had pricing for cars in Hong Kong like the states.
the new cayenne Turbo costs USD256,000 here....Cayenne S USD160000.. This is without options.

Back on track. I had the previous cayenne S, loved it. Minor grope is the trunk space, and a differential problem in my car. The car actually felt like it was getting hit when the car was stopping and starting in traffic.

For a family car, I would def say the GL. I have my second child coming and damn that boot space is great!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM

SL500, GL450
We have a Cayenne S (wife) and a GL 450. (Two kids too) We bought the GL to replace a Suburban which we used for snow, we live in Denver, and for longer trips. I drive an SL most of the time and got tired of pushing the Suburban around town when I needed a bigger car or because of weather. I don't know if the Cayenne vs. the GL is a valid comparison. The problem with the Cayenne, although great to drive and probably the best car I have ever driven in the snow, is with two kids seats in the back it's a 4 person car no matter what you do. When I was shopping for a replacement for the Suburban, I looked at Infinity, Audi, Toyota and the GL. It came down to either the Sequoia or the GL. Both had fold down 3rd rows, good leg room in both the second row and third row and handled a lot better than the Suburban. But when it came down to it the interior and the look of the GL was superior. I picked up an off lease '08, and for the money it was a much better deal.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
I have driven both, Cayenne is surely an SUV that handles like a sports car, the designers aren't lazy, it is called heritage... blood line, life line or whatever you want to call it... I believe that a Porsche will holds it value better than a GL but could be wrong, doubtful, but could be... and I am sure there is an exception somewhere

Base Cayenne does look a bit weird with the huge gaps between wheel and fender...

the multimedia system I think is better, but draw backs is that the GL has voice recognition that is pretty much flawless... the Porsche Nav is pretty nice

The GL looks like an SUV, though the interior does not look as classy as the Range Rover and is kind of plain... Some people like that which is why you are at a decision that I envy...

As long as it is not an Asian import, domestic, or a BMW I think you will make the right decision.

further I love the comment that you posted about burning fossil fuels

why drive a VW when you can drive a Porsche... VW's rarely get a second glance
Old 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM

GL320 CDI
I have a 2008 Cayenne S and a 2008 GL320. Those of you that say the Cayenne handles like an SUV probably haven't driven it for any length of time. It will out-handle and out accelerate a vast majority of cars out there (Porsche and some other German cars excluded). Step up to the Turbo and the Cayenne becomes even more of a monster. FWIW, I also have a Boxster, so I have a good point of reference of what a good handling car is like.

The GL is the better family car hands down (for my 5 and 4 year olds). We rarely use the 3rd row, but we often utilize the larger back area for hauling the kids' stuff. For you, I suspect that you may still carry two strollers, so they will likely take up most (if not all) of the rear compartment in the Cayenne. The GL will have left-over room.

The ride is smoother on the GL for long drives and the diesel gets far superior gas mileage (I know you are looking at the 550 though). I don't have the rear seat entertainment system on the Cayenne, but the one on the GL is very good for the kids.

Tow ratings are a wash for these two cars (although the 2008 GL320 had a lower rating than previous years - I don't know why).

The 2011 Cayenne is bigger on the inside and has the upgraded Panamera interior. It is also 400 pounds lighter than previous generation Cayennes, so the acceleration will be better (and the suspension should be tighter). The only detriment to the lighter weight is associated with towing (if that is important to you).

If this car is going to be used mostly on excursions out of the city, I would recommend the GL as the Cayenne will run out of luggage space more quickly. If that is not important to you, get the Cayenne as the drive will be better. The GL was not built to be a sports-SUV, the Cayenne was.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 PM

2007 Mercedes Benz E350 w211
Hello, well my mom has a GL550 and she loves it. We just got a second home up in Aspen Colorado and she is up there right now with it. I have never driven or ridden in a smoother and quieter SUV in my life. It is so comfortable with so much space. Since you have small children you need the room and comfort versus the Cayenne. Why would you want any sportier in a SUV? If you want to have something sporty get a sports car. Thats why my dad bought a BMW M6. Not to diss anyone that has these cars but the cars like the bmw mx5 and ML63 amg, I just dont get why anyone needs that performance in a SUV. Seems a little dumb.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
i have the cayenne GTS and absolutely love it. but when the lease is up, i am looking to trade it for the GL550 so i'm starting to do some research.

i have a 2.5 yr old and now a 4-mo old, and so far cargo room is fine for our weekends w/ the double stroller, etc. but whenever we need to go somewhere with anyone else, i always wish we had a 3rd row. so i'm ready for a gi-normo wagon

the cayenne is a beast, and handles better than most sports sedans. but nowadays i am rarely without one or both kids so i don't drive it like i should

i was wondering if anyone with a GL550 lease could comment on the lease rates or pricing they received?

also, random question - does the GL550 come with the roll up sun shades on the rear windows?
Attached Thumbnails GL550 vs Cayenne S family car..-gts-red.bmp  
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
wamochi...

that red GTS is the best looking one of the bunch as far as Cayennes go... (I will be looking for that version in the new body style)

as far as lease rates.. can't help you there.. but I have to say.. the correct way to buy one of these cars is finding a low mileage used one and get the extended warranty. At 1.99% financing... 100K warranty and a extra year.. not to bad.

I was prepared to buy a brand new one.. but when I found my 2008.. I pulled it up beside a brand new car... other than the Nav system... I cannot see any reason to buy a brand new one.. especially when you are getting close to the end of the production cycle.. (the new ML will be out in 2012 (that is next September) and you can't help but think the new GL will follow just after) obviously, if your tax situation mandates leasing.. then you gotta do what you have to do.

mercedesfreak22 ... the reason people want a sporty SUV is because they only have one parking spot in their garage and the live in NYC.. so it is kind of crazy but they would like to combine the family hauler and a sports car. (though some of us make do with motorcycles as fill in for the sporty bug)
Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
To get a decently optioned Cayenne, you would have to spend at least $95,000 for a Cayenne S. Since the SUV is for my wife, she refused to spend that kind of money for an SUV. She thinks GL550 is a bargain compare to the Cayenne S.
If want bargain, go w/ the R-class. As long as you have warranty, I'd take a pre-owned CPO R500 for $25k over a new GL450 or GL550. The GL may look better for some, but the 2nd row seats are ridiculous - the head rest is so short it's in the middle of my back, and needs to be fully extended for adults. Further, the 3rd row is MUCH SMALLER than the R, despite the literature printing otherwise. Lastly, the GL may be comfy, but it's more bouncy and the R with Airmatics sports setting has less roll. Just my $.02.
PL
Old 08-30-2010, 07:47 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetech, 2000 Porsche 911 C2, 2005 Honda S2000
I owned a Cayenne S (original 2004 version) before, then went with a 750i in 2007, and just recently decided to go with a GL350. The Cayenne S was a great handling SUV but the GL has much more cargo room, a 3rd row, and a smooth ride for the kids. Really depends on what you want. I used to only want speed and handling even if it was a family car. Truth is... after all these years, priorities have changed and now I just need space, comfort, and safety when hauling the family around. These large family cars could never replace my 911 anyway. :-)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by cyclrder

I was prepared to buy a brand new one.. but when I found my 2008.. I pulled it up beside a brand new car... other than the Nav system... I cannot see any reason to buy a brand new one.. especially when you are getting close to the end of the production cycle..
I've always had great luck with new cars and terrible luck with used ones ("CPO," no less). Only car I own bought from used is the W220, which I bought from a friend who changed to the W221 version....if I'd had better luck over the years I may be inclined to agree with you...

btw, congrats on the GL550...very nice SUV, so long as you stay on the pavement

-Rob