GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Key Blade Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 MB GL 450
Key Blade Issue

Okay, I bought a used 07 GL 450 some time back. Recently, one of my keys ran out of battery so i forced to open the car door with the key blade, or at least try to. For whatever reason it wouldn't open. I eventually got in, and when I took the car in for service I mentioned this to the service advisor. We tested the key blade on the door to no avail, and then on the glove box and it opened proving that the blade is for this car so its for the car. I left the deliver and later this afternoon received a call stating that nothing is wrong with the system and its the result of a special security feature for that year and model which requires me to twist the key blade and then pull on the handle 2-3 times to open the door.

This sounds like a bunch of BS to me but just wanted to get some input before I take up issue with this. I would try reading about it in the manuals, but they currently r in the car at the dealer. My family has had many MB over the years and none of them had opened like this.

our thoughts? Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL320 CDI, 2007 E320, 2005 Passat TDI
Hello mickey1t,

Actually, the instruction to turn key then pull up on handle is EXACTLY what my 2008 owners manual says to do. How does your manual say it should work?

For some reason I thought the door would unlock by simply turning the blade key...but it doesn't work that way on my GL...so I had to read the directions which, as usual, clearly stated the proper procedure.

good luck,

Spart