GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

new to MB, wanting to lease 450 or 350, please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 slk55 amg, 2011 gl350, lambo gallardo, 800hp supercharged viper
new to MB, wanting to lease 450 or 350, please help!

Hey guys. Never owned a MB before. Looking for help with options and getting a good lease deal. My 08 hummer h2 is up for lease in 3 months. I own a successful limo company with 17 vehicles in Ohio and this is my winter vehicle along with we rent out our hummer h2 chauffeured for things like weddings, proms, people going to dinner etc.

I wanted a GL350 bluetec but the dealer gave me lease prices on one 36 months 15k miles per year and although the 350 has a cheaper sticker price it was $100 more per month or $3600 more and the gas savings is only approx $700 a year or $2100. This is a shame MB doesnt offer the same deal on the 350. Then they'll wonder why they didnt sell very many. Also it says if you lease you don't get the $1800 tax credit.

So I guess I'm looking for a 450.

1. What options are really worth it? It seems the premium 1 package is kinda needed. The blind spot mirror sensors seem well worth it.

2. How is the adaptive cruise control? worth the cost?

3. How much can I negotiate off sticker price on a lease if I have to order one? It seems I'm not going to find everything I want without ordering. Is it alot harder to get the sticker price lower by ordering or should I just settle for not having a few options or paying $2000 for an option I don't want that is already on a floor model or a model the dealer can order in from another dealer. Can 10% be negotiated off? more?

4. Are there other ways to get a deal? I noticed a MB club of america discount while searching thru the forums. Is this still live? how much is it and how does it work?

5. Would leasing a 2010 model be less expensive than ordering or buying a 2011 off the floor? Are there extra incentives?

6. I think I need to add the option of air conditioning / heating in the 3rd row seat. I can't believe this isnt standard. Its standard on our hummer and our escalade. On a 90 degree day with no AC in the 3rd row seat there is going to be a problem. Does the "3 zone climate control" option add air conditioning vents for the 3rd row passengers? Is there an option for this?

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Last edited by pteam; 09-02-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
1. Premium 1 package is nice but P2 isn't really worth the price for me. Also, running boards is a must with small kids or grandparents. Those were the options I needed in my GL.

2. DISTRONIC Cruise control is special order only. Don't expect a dealer to have a floor model with adaptive cruise control. On my S550, I have never used it so I don't think it is a must at all.

3. I negotiated $4,000 off mine

4. don't know, sorry

5. The 2011's don't have any differences except Blind Spot Assist and bigger headrests in the second and third row. Minor additions include compass in rearview mirror (although there is already a compass in the navi system) along with passenger memory in the passenger seat. The 2010 is awesome for me and the changes for 2011 aren't worth the price of a more expensive lease.

6. With 3 zone automatic control, there are two air vents for the third row. I have 2 zone automatic climate control and I have to say that even in the third row, it is ventilated through circulation very fast. The strategically placed air vents make sitting in the third row without AC vents quite okay, actually. Also, the quarter windows in the third row can provide ventilation and the shade can be closed to keep sunlight from hitting the seats.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 AM

Amaycg,

Great info! For the optional AC vents in the 3rd row seat, where are they? mounted in the roof? I noticed when I looked at one at the dealer today there are vents on the sides of each seat, is that for rear side window defrost? The dealer didnt even know what they were and we couldnt get them to turn on with any AC option. My thoughts were maybe it was for defrost in heat only mode?

Was the diesel 350 more money to lease than the 450 for you?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetech, 2000 Porsche 911 C2, 2005 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by pteam
Hey guys. Never owned a MB before. Looking for help with options and getting a good lease deal. My 08 hummer h2 is up for lease in 3 months. I own a successful limo company with 17 vehicles in Ohio and this is my winter vehicle along with we rent out our hummer h2 chauffeured for things like weddings, proms, people going to dinner etc.

I wanted a GL350 bluetec but the dealer gave me lease prices on one 36 months 15k miles per year and although the 350 has a cheaper sticker price it was $100 more per month or $3600 more and the gas savings is only approx $700 a year or $2100. This is a shame MB doesnt offer the same deal on the 350. Then they'll wonder why they didnt sell very many. Also it says if you lease you don't get the $1800 tax credit.

So I guess I'm looking for a 450.

1. What options are really worth it? It seems the premium 1 package is kinda needed. The blind spot mirror sensors seem well worth it.

2. How is the adaptive cruise control? worth the cost?

3. How much can I negotiate off sticker price on a lease if I have to order one? It seems I'm not going to find everything I want without ordering. Is it alot harder to get the sticker price lower by ordering or should I just settle for not having a few options or paying $2000 for an option I don't want that is already on a floor model or a model the dealer can order in from another dealer. Can 10% be negotiated off? more?

4. Are there other ways to get a deal? I noticed a MB club of america discount while searching thru the forums. Is this still live? how much is it and how does it work?

5. Would leasing a 2010 model be less expensive than ordering or buying a 2011 off the floor? Are there extra incentives?

6. I think I need to add the option of air conditioning / heating in the 3rd row seat. I can't believe this isnt standard. Its standard on our hummer and our escalade. On a 90 degree day with no AC in the 3rd row seat there is going to be a problem. Does the "3 zone climate control" option add air conditioning vents for the 3rd row passengers? Is there an option for this?

Thanks for your help and opinions!
I suppose the Bluetech residuals aren't as good since it's a new model and it's diesel. Who know what the value will be in a few years but most expect it should be good given the better fuel efficiency. I guess MB is not willing to trust it until they know for sure later. I just picked up a 2011 last week and love it. I purchased it and plan to take advantage of the $25K write off for large SUV with >6000lbs GVWR.

2010 will give you better rates for financing. Not sure about leasing.

The dealer gave me $500 above invoice on a car I configured and ordered but I was referred by a customer who's purchased 5+ MBs over the past 8 years.

I believe the 3 zone air control does give vents for the 3rd row. Beware if you use a radar detector. This option comes standard with IR coat on the windows.

A nice option to get for the non-550 is ADS which gives you a button for choosing sport or comfort suspension setting. Only $775 because all GLs come with air springs (unlike BMW and Audi where you would need to pay 3-4K).

PO1 package is nice for the other stuff.

Side running boards look nice and are practical esp if you have kids.

If you're an audiophile, you'll be disappointed by the stock sound system. It sounds terrible compared to my 750i and old Cayenne S. I've never heard the Harmon Kardon system but I'm sure it's better. I'm thinking of changing out the speakers but need to look into the power set-up. I hope it's not one of those weird setups where the line impedence and power are incompatible with aftermarket speakers (e.g. Bose).

Good luck!

Ben
Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by blee911
I just picked up a 2011 last week and love it. I purchased it and plan to take advantage of the $25K write off for large SUV with >6000lbs GVWR.

Ben
Would this be different for a lease? This will be thru my limo company so we will be writing all of it off whichever way works out to the most amount. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:13 PM

2011 GL350 Bluetech, 2000 Porsche 911 C2, 2005 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by pteam
Would this be different for a lease? This will be thru my limo company so we will be writing all of it off whichever way works out to the most amount. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I'm no expert. This is the first time I'm doing this. My previous car was a leased sedan. BEfore that it was an SUV but I didn't have an independent contractor / self employed status at the time. All I know is that I leased my last car (sedan) and it seems the write off is based on a percentage of the lease payment depending on business use %. The write off seemed to decrease over the 3 year period. Not sure why. Depreciation? For the 25K write off, I thought the the SUV needs to be purchased but the link below mentions 'certain leases' as qualifying. It should be 25K + Depreciation (20% of the (purchase price - 25K)) in the 1st year. I assume it will be a depreciation write-off in subsequent years? See link. I hope this helps.
http://www.section179.org/section_17...eductions.html
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 AM

By our calcs, because of the residual and money factors the lease on the 2010 turns out to be more or comparable to the 2011. Add to the fact that purchasing gives you the alternative tax credit, any additional stimulus credit should Obama-san cough that up, and loan rates being lower than they have been sounds like a purchase to us if you intend to keep the car for 6+ years. If you plan to keep the car for any less time, consider leasing.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 PM

I really only plan to keep the car for ~3 years because by that time I'll want something new.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 PM

2008 GL 320 CDI Black/Black
I leased my 2008 GL320 for 32 months...then bought it. So I deducted the lease payment through my owned business - then this year I also get the $25K credit since I bought it! The great part is the diesel held it's value much better than the rest - so I can drive it for one more year...almost free! The reason your dealer wants more for the diesel is that they are in higher demand right now. When I got mine - they were pretty new still and I got it at the same rate they advertised the 450 for...plus it stickered $1,000 cheaper apples to apples at the time....great deal - still love the truck! Go diesel - you will not regret it! I can go 650 miles on a tank!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM

Dollar wise there is really no point in leasing the diesel. It'll cost me $3600 more over the lease compared to saving $2100 in diesel over the 45,000 miles based on the sticker estimates on the windows. So all the mgp saving is out the window and them some. Its really sad. I think the reason isnt because of the specific dealer but because Mercedes benz has no lease incentives on the diesel.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
19 MB G63, '18 RR Dawn, '15 RR ATB LWB, '14/'08 MB GL550, '11 MB CL63 AMG, '11 X5 50i etc etc
If u get a Gl u should be very pleased.. My 08 GL550 is the nicest truck I've ever owned.. Real special vehicle...