GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

need some advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice...

I have currently 07 GL450 with 48,000 miles which has P2, lighting, appearance, backup camera, rear entertainment system and running board... factory warranty will be expiring by the end of this month and need some advice on what I should do with this truck.

We love this truck and I'm a bit concerned the fact that the warranty will be expried soon (first MB SUV but had a couple of sedans) and liked newer style... therefore, I've been thinking either sell it or trade-in for new GLs...

So, I recently test drove GL350 BlueTec and didn't like the pickup speed but appreciated gas mileage shown on the computer but I'm not sure if my wife would like it every time she drives as she will be the main driver...

Got a couple of offers for 2011 GL450 from a couple of dealers (10% of $76,xxx --- equipped the same stuffs as our current GL) and now i have a dilemma whether I should get GL450 or get either used or demo GL550 with some mileages...)

I do like the look of GL550 but haven't had a chance to test drive it but was told by sales person that it drinks much more gas than GL450.... (I guess they were trying to talk me out of GL550 since they didn't have in stock...)

I'm planning to keep it long time, maybe 7+ or even 10 years, what would be the best choice even consdering GL350... (BTW, I'm DC metro area where 93 octane costs about $2.80 per gallon and diesel costs about $3.50 per gallon) also, I think MB may do some face lift on 2012 GL since my past experience shows that they introduce very small changes for the first 4 years then last 3 years they do a face lift...

Thanks for your time and sorry for long post...

Last edited by taeandji; 10-15-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: adding more stuffs
Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
Is there a reason you are not considering just keeping the 07 GL450 and saving a bunch of cash :-)

If you are planning on keeping a GL for some time the money you save could be used for any expensive repair out of warranty should one occur, or go towards an extended warranty.

I know it is not for everyone as many people like to have the newest model, but just putting it out there as this seems to be be a great truck which is pretty reliably.

As for GL450 vs GL550 - if you plan to buy new and add options to a 450, you may want to get the 550 instead as it has alot of the options already as standard. The difference in both performance and fuel economy is probably negligible in the real world.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Originally Posted by taeandji
So, I recently test drove GL350 BlueTec and didn't like the pickup speed but appreciated gas mileage shown on the computer but I'm not sure if my wife would like it every time she drives as she will be the main driver...

(BTW, I'm DC metro area where 93 octane costs about $2.80 per gallon and diesel costs about $3.50 per gallon)...
If you can't live with the acceleration of the diesel then that is understandable. I will say though that the diesel isn't slow and it does take getting used to.

As far as the fuel savings is concerned, you are doing the same thing I did before my GL purchase which was to convince myself that there was no fuel savings from buying the diesel. Check out the AAA average gas prices for DC at, WWW.fuelgaugereport.com/dcavg.asp

Just from a quick glance at the report, diesel would need to be about $.80 higher than premium for you to not realize any savings in the past year. If you would have owned the diesel, you would have saved about $.60 for every gallon you pumped into your GL.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 514 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
The single most expensive cost when owning a car is depreciation. Used car prices show that the average diesel GL holds it value better than the gasser versions. Fuel prices vary between states but you are correct in looking at the difference between premium and diesel, which in many states is negative. All gasser GL's take premium per the owner's manual to give you the performance and longevity you are looking for.
The diesel GL is not as slow as it looks on paper, but is an aquired taste. I have no regrets. 25mpg average on roadtrips is just phenomenal.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 AM

We made the switch between the 2007 GL 450 and the 2011 GL350 a month ago. No regrets. I smoked an Escalade XL on the freeway on-ramp today (MPG dropped to 16.7, though). I was impressed. Have little issue with the acceleration.

My biggest issue with the switch is, apparently, all the newer model GLs have variable assist steering which makes the car feel tinnier. I liked the heavy feeling better before, now it drives more like a Lexus.

My brother has an X5 and took a ride with five adults to the football game today using one of the rear seats. I think he was a little jealous.

Also, hopefully the 2011's will qual for the $1,800 lean burn fuel credit. That's not a deduction; it's $1,800 in your pocket.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by Max Blast
The diesel GL is not as slow as it looks on paper, but is an aquired taste.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. I've found that I've developed muscle memory in my foot much like you get from driving a standard transmission that optimizes acceleration. You want the rpms to be within a certain range when you start to accelerate hard. From a dead stop, I typically run the engine quickly up to around 2800 rpm and then let the transmission shift up to third while keeping the engine around that speed. By the time you are in fourth the engine is getting maximum boost from the turbo and the engine is running right around its peak torque range. You can feel all 400lb/ft of torque as you continue to accelerate to your desired speed. You just aren't going to be able to replicate that on a test drive. If you haven't driven the diesel, it is easy to run the engine close to the redline when accelerating from a stop leaving it shifting through the gears at engine speeds well above the peak torque range.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM

2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
+1 on the acquired taste. I have only test driven the diesel version, but my acquired taste is for the truck to take of like a scalded cat in any gear at any time.

I find the GL450 does that and although i have not driven one, i would guess the 550 is even better. Outside of the acceleration (and fuel mileage indicated) i could not really distinguish any major differences between the diesel and gas engines while driving around town or the expressways.

I would happily drive any version of the GL. In my case i will take the pain on gas prices as i love the acceleration, but if i did alot of expressway driving, i can see the diesel being the way to go for me.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 606 Likes on 514 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Pedaling the car to keep it in the torque band is one way to keep the tidal wave of acceleration going, i've also found that the right upshift paddle can accomplish the same without having to lift then reapply. You just gotta lead the shift by half a potato, essentially hitting the shift lever right as you are in the meat of the torque band.
I'd welcome better tailored transmission software for the diesel, though.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM

well, I think it will take time to get used to that feeling of diesel but it was pretty fast once it got some speed.

I'm thinking about keeping it long time so, I want good gas mileages (seeing 18MPG on city from GL350 makes me heart everytime i see 13MPG from my GL450) and longevity of engine... said that, I think I'm kind of leaning towards GL350 but I guess I will have to take my wife to dealer so she can test drive one since she will be the main driver from Mon to Fri

I'm dealing with a couple of dealers and get two different price.

D1. with the options, they offerered 10% on GL450 (based at $76,xxx) before but D2. offereed $4000 discount initially then, matched 10%... I talked salesperson at D1 and he offerered 9% discount on GL350 even if I order one instead of picking one from their stock since I may want 2-tone interior... but D2 offered me 10% on GL450 only if I choose from their stock... obviously, it would be less discount on GL350...

is 9% discount on GL350 pretty good deal or should I push more...? does anyone know if I can still be eligible $1800 tax credit...?

Also, does engine sound get louder on diesel after few years?
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 AM

10% off on a 2011 is a great deal.

Ordering a car is the way to go if you're willing to wait. It's very difficult to get the options you want in a stock car if lighting, blind spot and 3-zone ac are important features for you. Plus, you can special order options such as ir-glass.

You should check to see if your company participates in the FEP program which will get you another $1500 off your final negotiated price.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm looking at the exact same transition. I have a '07 GL450 with ~75,000 miles and I'm seriously considering a '11 GL350 and joining the diesel crowd.

My Comand unit went out on my '07, which took me to the dealer. It's a $2600 replacement, but my extended warranty has coverage so it's a $200 deductable.

That high cost of repairs has me a little scared, so I'm actually looking at leasing and turning it back in around the same time the warranty expires. I'm a high mileage driver so I have to figure that into the lease expense.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM

15 GL550
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I'm a high mileage driver so I have to figure that into the lease expense.
If you can get a great deal on a lease, go for it. But what about just buying a 350 at an aggressive price and selling/trading it before the warranty is up? The resale is so good on the diesel that you might be better off just to buy. The last I looked, the lease rates for the diesel don't really reflect the better resale. Maybe that has changed. And...correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can get the tax credit if you lease.

Also, if you do a lot of freeway/highway driving, you will love the diesel. Fuel economy aside, it has a ton of smooth, immediate and effortless acceleration for passing and freeway on ramps. I have another SUV with a V8 gas engine and on paper, it is supposed to be faster but it sure doesn't feel like it. Only when accelerating from a stop does it feel faster. A gas engine will probably be cranking at 4500 RPM to get the same acceleration the 350 will give you at 2800.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM

I'm thinking the following options but not sure about a couple of them.

GL 350 options

Packages:
P2
Full Leather --- thinking about special order two-tone (black/sand)
Lighting

Options:
Blind Spot Assit
Trailer Hitch Kit
Rear entertainment
Parktronic
Heated and active ventilated front seats --- not sure...
Chrome Accessory Package
Running Board
Wood/Leather Multifunction steering wheel
Heated Rear Seats
Illumination Kit for running board --- not sure...
iPod video integration kit ---- not sure...
ADS ---- not sure.

Has anyone with ventilated front seats or illumination kit or iPod video integration kit?
Also, my 07 GL450 has MB-tex and i have 2 kids (6 & 4 years old)... should I get full leather or stick to MB-tex?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 01:35 AM

I was set on the Full leather package since all of our previous cars had leather as default. Dealer put two black interiors (leather and MBTEX) next to each other for comparison. Yes, there's a slight difference but it's very difficult to tell which one is Leather. We also have kids and ultimately decided to go with MBTEX. You do get ambient lighting with Leather..

We were also set on the two-tone black/beige with black headliner but after spending some time in the two-tone black/ash interior, we decided to go with the standard black with grey headliner. We're still incurring the special order charge for the infrared glass.. You should find a dealer with a two-tone interior in a GL see for yourself before ordering. There's no right answer -- it's personal preference.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Does someone I can just special order black headliner instead of gray one and light birch wood trim that is available for GL550?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 43221B
If you can get a great deal on a lease, go for it. But what about just buying a 350 at an aggressive price and selling/trading it before the warranty is up? The resale is so good on the diesel that you might be better off just to buy. The last I looked, the lease rates for the diesel don't really reflect the better resale. Maybe that has changed. And...correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can get the tax credit if you lease.

Also, if you do a lot of freeway/highway driving, you will love the diesel. Fuel economy aside, it has a ton of smooth, immediate and effortless acceleration for passing and freeway on ramps. I have another SUV with a V8 gas engine and on paper, it is supposed to be faster but it sure doesn't feel like it. Only when accelerating from a stop does it feel faster. A gas engine will probably be cranking at 4500 RPM to get the same acceleration the 350 will give you at 2800.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to get a lease that I liked, and for that matter they couldn't locate a 350 that had the options I wanted. My '07 is loaded and it's hard for me to give up gadgets.

So I need to consider having one built and maybe a buy option.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:56 AM

2007 GL450
07 GL450

I also have a 2007 GL450 with 57,000 miles. The latest issue is the Nav system and what to do with it. Lot's of different answers from 4 dealers in my area, none of which is reasonably priced for a 3 year old car. This is the worst car I've owned since the mid 70's when talking about quality. If someone likes these cars and lives in Florida, I'd be willing to sell it and buy a Japanese car to avoid the constant repairs needed to keep it running. We've resorted to using it only when absolutely necessary. Fortunately, I have two Japanese cars that have been reliable from day one. One has 90,000 miles and is 7 years old and the other is only 3 years old but also has almost 60,000 miles.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What did you have go wrong with your nav? Mine just died, but was covered with my extended warranty.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 PM

Finally ordered mine today with the following options.

Color:
Black

Packages:
P2
two-tone Leather (blk/beige)
Lighting

Options:
Blind Spot Assit
Trailer Hitch Kit
Pre-wiring Rear entertainment
Parktronic
Chrome Accessory Package
Running Board
Wood/Leather Multifunction steering wheel
Heated Rear Seats
Infrared Glass

My dealer happended to have 01 GL550 diamond white with blk/beige interior for $87,xxx today and two-tone interior wasn't I expected as I've seen my friends clk350 designo interior (lighter and thicker leather) I couldn't resist the black headliner so I had to go with two-tone leather

Got 10.5% plus $1,100 discount so it is like 12% discount (I received a $1000 credit from another dealer in mail last year that I could use either toward to new/used vehicle or use for service)

They couldn't get me the the production date yet but they said it would be sometime in Feb 2011.

Last edited by taeandji; 11-12-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: change