GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
Originally Posted by jchochla
Sorry about the delay with the pictures. I was busy with Christmas and all yesterday. Anyway, here are the pictures with the black surrounds, chrome accent pieces, and both lamp-housings (with bulbs). I had these on my car for about 15K miles.

When a buddy of mine's car got hit, he had to order every single piece separately at the dealer. He ended up paying over $600 for everything.

Im asking $300+$15 for shipping through USPS anywhere in the USA.

Please contact me if interested.

Happy Holidays to all,
Thanks!
SOLD!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
21GT634DR, 17C63s, 08GL450
Conversion Complete

Thanks Jchocla for confirming the parts. Also a special Thank you to Eurodok for providing parts for my 08 GL450. I know this thread is for 2010 but I think i have to reply here since this is active thread.

Everything fits just like Eurodok mentioned. The only problem I am having is flickering. Installation of Resister eliminated dashboard error and also eliminated flickering from on to off and vice versa. however I can see now a different type of flickering.

This LED's are very bright when switch on with engine off. When the engine starts (with fogs on) after few seconds they flicker and go to low power. It looks brilliant and diamondish. however if only it stayed that way.

During my Test drive it flickered from low power to high power when engine revs up and down. At all signals it flickered from low to high. it became little embarrassing as it looks like after market. Any help is appreciated.

Attaching a photo of my conversion (not high quality as taken from phone).
Attached Thumbnails 2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!-photo-dec-30-4-14-00-pm.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tommytrojan
Thanks Jchocla for confirming the parts. Also a special Thank you to Eurodok for providing parts for my 08 GL450. I know this thread is for 2010 but I think i have to reply here since this is active thread.

Everything fits just like Eurodok mentioned. The only problem I am having is flickering. Installation of Resister eliminated dashboard error and also eliminated flickering from on to off and vice versa. however I can see now a different type of flickering.

This LED's are very bright when switch on with engine off. When the engine starts (with fogs on) after few seconds they flicker and go to low power. It looks brilliant and diamondish. however if only it stayed that way.

During my Test drive it flickered from low power to high power when engine revs up and down. At all signals it flickered from low to high. it became little embarrassing as it looks like after market. Any help is appreciated.

Attaching a photo of my conversion (not high quality as taken from phone).
I have the same problem. Thats why i can only have them on during the day, not at night.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 PM

how does it help?

I have the same problem. Thats why i can only have them on during the day, not at night.
You mean during day it is not noticeable? One thing that came to my mind is whether installing a capacitor would solve it? I am not electrician but installing HID kit required Capacitor to supply constant voltage as our cars give pulsating voltage. My HID kit is working flawless with Capacitors and I remember flickering problem before that.

Any Takes Jchochla?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM

You mean during day it is not noticeable? One thing that came to my mind is whether installing a capacitor would solve it? I am not electrician but installing HID kit required Capacitor to supply constant voltage as our cars give pulsating voltage. My HID kit is working flawless with Capacitors and I remember flickering problem before that.

Any Takes Jchochla?
Tommy, im glad all of the parts fit. I personally think they look good.
On my GL, since i had the "double shot gun barrel" DRL's and fog lights, i had 2 sets of wires (2- & 2+). So i defiantly want to do the capacitors. Im not a electrician, so i don't have a clue what kind of capacitors i need.
Tommy, if you know what kind to order, ill be more than happy to order them and try.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Tommy, im glad all of the parts fit. I personally think they look good.
On my GL, since i had the "double shot gun barrel" DRL's and fog lights, i had 2 sets of wires (2- & 2+). So i defiantly want to do the capacitors. Im not a electrician, so i don't have a clue what kind of capacitors i need.
Tommy, if you know what kind to order, ill be more than happy to order them and try.
Thank you Jchochla. It's my time to contribute here. I am not electronics engineer but do have masters in computers. I am going to get this resolved and tell you what is needed. Stay tuned as I am running to Radioshack .
Old 01-01-2012, 02:08 PM

Done

Thank you Jchochla. It's my time to contribute here. I am not electronics engineer but do have masters in computers. I am going to get this resolved and tell you what is needed. Stay tuned as I am running to Radioshack .
As promised. The issue is resolved. I bought 2 capacitors from radio shack rated 35v 100uf. Total cost $3.5

Flickering is history. Removed the resisters as the heating was making me very uncomfortable. Also the Caps make the light work at full throttle . they are really bright.

2 more issues appeared. I broke a tab on my right chrome cover so be careful while opening. Somehow the error on dashboard is coming for left fog light. I was unable to find 2 similar capacitors in my local radio shack and brought different axes but both are rated similar. don't know what is the problem. But i would rather leave with dashboard error as I am getting it for license plate LED's as well. For me to have this fogs and not use them at night was deal breaker.

Also be careful about finding positives and negatives in your car. Mine black was positive. I found multimeter from my hobby kit (years old but still working). Capacitors are polarized and attaching them in other order would be like a firecracker. So go positive to positive and vice versa

Any way Happy new year to all.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM

As promised. The issue is resolved. I bought 2 capacitors from radio shack rated 35v 100uf. Total cost $3.5

Flickering is history. Removed the resisters as the heating was making me very uncomfortable. Also the Caps make the light work at full throttle . they are really bright.

2 more issues appeared. I broke a tab on my right chrome cover so be careful while opening. Somehow the error on dashboard is coming for left fog light. I was unable to find 2 similar capacitors in my local radio shack and brought different axes but both are rated similar. don't know what is the problem. But i would rather leave with dashboard error as I am getting it for license plate LED's as well. For me to have this fogs and not use them at night was deal breaker.

Also be careful about finding positives and negatives in your car. Mine black was positive. I found multimeter from my hobby kit (years old but still working). Capacitors are polarized and attaching them in other order would be like a firecracker. So go positive to positive and vice versa

Any way Happy new year to all.
Thanks for the info Tommy. I was also concerned about how hot the resistors are. I still have them in my GL. Can you post any pictures of how you installed the capacitors? Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Tommy, I went ahead and bought the capacitors. I installed them, and they work flawlessly. Also, I checked the resistors, and the are fine now. When I put them in 2k miles ago, they are still sitting on the same 3M double sided tape...lol. I thought they'd fall off becuase of how hot they were getting. Lastly, now that the resistors have been "broken in", they don't seem to get too hot.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Tommy, I went ahead and bought the capacitors. I installed them, and they work flawlessly. Also, I checked the resistors, and the are fine now. When I put them in 2k miles ago, they are still sitting on the same 3M double sided tape...lol. I thought they'd fall off becuase of how hot they were getting. Lastly, now that the resistors have been "broken in", they don't seem to get too hot.
Glad to hear and help you out. No errors on dash board? You left Resisters and Caps both? if so are they at full power?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Glad to hear and help you out. No errors on dash board? You left Resisters and Caps both? if so are they at full power?
Yes, I love that they don't dim down to that yellow-ish color. My LED's stand out at night with my xenons.
Glad to see that there's folks like TommyTrojan on here that can really contribute to this forum. I think we're the first people to do a full write up along the way on the LED's, with Eurodok's help as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Could you post a pic of the LED's at full power with the headlights at night? I have the shotgun barrel DRL/Fog combo and want to upgrade to the LED's. You guys seem very informed; could you post some pics so we know what the innards of the fog light assembly look like? Great job on such a nice mod to the car!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by amaycg
Could you post a pic of the LED's at full power with the headlights at night? I have the shotgun barrel DRL/Fog combo and want to upgrade to the LED's. You guys seem very informed; could you post some pics so we know what the innards of the fog light assembly look like? Great job on such a nice mod to the car!
i. Thanks for your interest. I will post pictures later, as i have the pictures on my other computer. The swap is pretty easy. Theres no need to drill or anything like that. If you have a 2010 GL, you first want to take a ride to your dealer and order the LED's, black surrounds and chrome pieces. Also, you want to order the resistors and capacitors listed in some previous responses.*

Here's how you still do the installation:
1. Take off the chrome pieces
2. Cut off the connections that go to the DRL"s and fogs
3. Since you have 2 sets of wires, you want to connect the positives and negatives together and use wire "crimpers"(I call them) to connect them. Do the same to the LED's when you get them.*
4. Install the resistor with some double sided 3M tape somehwhere inside the housing.
5. The resistor should be hooked up to the main negative and positive wires that you combined in step 3.
6. After that, test the LED's and make sure your not getting a error code.
7. Turn off your car and add the capacitor to the connection where the LED's connect to the wires you cut. Now turn the car on again and test out the LED's.
Make sure they are flickering. If so, it's becuase you put the capacitor in the wrong way.
8. Put the LED's, black surrounds and chrome pieces together and you should be done.

I know these directions seem sketchy, but I will try to draw a picture and then take pictures from my installation and post them later.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350
I have a 2011 GL350, and regret that I did not get the LED lighting package . I would love a follow up on this thread.

If I could be so bold as to request:

-Specific part #'s of the LED's and the trim pieces required for this swap
-Types of capacitors / resistors (did you guys do both, since i'm reading that there may have been heat issues with the resistors, did the use of capacitors negate the use of resistors?)
-Sources for these parts. Were they purchased from the dealer, or did you get them somewhere else (if so are they OEM)?
-Idiot proof instructions / pictures (because when it comes to electrical stuff, i'm an... idiot )
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450
2009 GL450

Hi All:

I am new here and I have been studying this thread as well as the one by eurodok to be sure of what I am doing with my 2009 Gl450 (with the single foglight). Can someone confirm that the parts for 2010 GL 450 (LED's, black surrounds and chrome pieces) will fit my 2009 GL 450. According to Eurodok, this will fit.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM

gl 450
how to remove the dual fog light cover?

Do you have pix or diagram on how to remove dual fog light cover without breaking the tabs that holding it? Do I need to remove bumper first?

Thanks

i. Thanks for your interest. I will post pictures later, as i have the pictures on my other computer. The swap is pretty easy. Theres no need to drill or anything like that. If you have a 2010 GL, you first want to take a ride to your dealer and order the LED's, black surrounds and chrome pieces. Also, you want to order the resistors and capacitors listed in some previous responses.*

Here's how you still do the installation:
1. Take off the chrome pieces
2. Cut off the connections that go to the DRL"s and fogs
3. Since you have 2 sets of wires, you want to connect the positives and negatives together and use wire "crimpers"(I call them) to connect them. Do the same to the LED's when you get them.*
4. Install the resistor with some double sided 3M tape somehwhere inside the housing.
5. The resistor should be hooked up to the main negative and positive wires that you combined in step 3.
6. After that, test the LED's and make sure your not getting a error code.
7. Turn off your car and add the capacitor to the connection where the LED's connect to the wires you cut. Now turn the car on again and test out the LED's.
Make sure they are flickering. If so, it's becuase you put the capacitor in the wrong way.
8. Put the LED's, black surrounds and chrome pieces together and you should be done.

I know these directions seem sketchy, but I will try to draw a picture and then take pictures from my installation and post them later.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 AM

2011 gl450
Thank you jchochla. I have link to eurodok. However in that he mentions two separate led drls. One for 350/550 which he used. I am confused about that. Is 350 and 550 same or 350 and 450 have same bumper lengths. Below in that thread poas user has I guess different LEDs. I may have one shot at doing this and want to make sure ordering correct parts.

Once again thank you
Thanks for the info. I have 2011 gl450 any new information on led swap for for 2 barrell fog lights?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:14 AM

2011 gl450
Originally Posted by merlyn412
I have a 2011 GL350, and regret that I did not get the LED lighting package . I would love a follow up on this thread.

If I could be so bold as to request:

-Specific part #'s of the LED's and the trim pieces required for this swap
-Types of capacitors / resistors (did you guys do both, since i'm reading that there may have been heat issues with the resistors, did the use of capacitors negate the use of resistors?)
-Sources for these parts. Were they purchased from the dealer, or did you get them somewhere else (if so are they OEM)?
-Idiot proof instructions / pictures (because when it comes to electrical stuff, i'm an... idiot )
I have the 2011 gl450 as well. Have you made swap yet. I want this bad!!!
Thanks for the reply
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 PM

2010 gl450
Has anyone completed this swap on 2010 gl450 from double barrel fogs to LED. Can you send/post pictures.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215/X164/W124
I got these for sale
Attached Thumbnails 2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!-fullsizerender.jpg   2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!-fullsizerender-1-.jpg   2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!-fullsizerender-2-.jpg   2010 GL 450 Foglight Swap!!!-fullsizerender-3-.jpg  

Last edited by wease206; 07-23-2015 at 06:23 PM.