GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

1st service questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec
1st service questions

Is there any reason I need to take my '11 gl350 to the dealer for the first maintenance?
I know how to change oil, have already (at 6k miles) rotated tires, inspected fluids etc. There are no issues with this vehicle.

Going to swing buy the dealership tomorrow to pick up a oil filter. Going to top off the adblu tank with the peak brand.

Anybody see any issues with this plan? I guess I could pay the dealer 150 for an oil change, but what is the point of that?

Thanks for all advice.
-mm
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
15 GL550
Per a previous post, just don't let your DEF spill. There is a wire harness that connects at the top of the tank and the urea will corrode the wires. Rinse thoroughly with water if you do spill.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
This is known as "shooting yourself in the foot." Or "penny wise and pound foolish."

When you need your dealer's service department, you will not be top status.

Do your own legal work?

Your own surgery?

Best thing IMHO to save money on by DIY is brakes.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by lkchris
This is known as "shooting yourself in the foot." Or "penny wise and pound foolish."

When you need your dealer's service department, you will not be top status.

Do your own legal work?

Your own surgery?

Best thing IMHO to save money on by DIY is brakes.
Funny, Top status for $200 oil changes?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GL350
We are quite alike in this matter! I like the excitement of being able to DIY on certain things. I bought my Griat's Garage Pump, filter and engine oil from MBdealer. Make sure it's the right one (229.51). it was really a piece of cake job. I had fun doing it with my 7 rear old son.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 GL450
Originally Posted by notqwik
Is there any reason I need to take my '11 gl350 to the dealer for the first maintenance?
I know how to change oil, have already (at 6k miles) rotated tires, inspected fluids etc. There are no issues with this vehicle.

Going to swing buy the dealership tomorrow to pick up a oil filter. Going to top off the adblu tank with the peak brand.

Anybody see any issues with this plan? I guess I could pay the dealer 150 for an oil change, but what is the point of that?

Thanks for all advice.
-mm
I own a '11 GL350. I've had it for about a week. I intend on doing the A and B service myself. The A service is basically an oil change and adblue refill. As previously mentioned, there are many posts on this forum on the exact type of oil to use for the GL350 and some good to know precautions. As for the adblue, I'm going to pick it up from a VW dealer or purchase online. The B service adds the fuel filter replacement (@20k miles). I can get a MB OEM fuel filter online (MB dealer) for $60 w/free shipping. Everything else is "check this check that....", which is a no brainer. CYA and make sure that you keep all of your receipts incase MB decides to pull a "you can void your warranty if you work on your own vehicle" bs. FYI, there are laws out there that protect consumers regarding this matter. That's a whole new subject.

We are on our 5th MB, all bought brand new, and I've done all routine maintenance on my own (and my other vehicles) - never had any problems! If you have basic mechanical knowlege and you are willing to do a little research, it's a no brainer. Don't let guys like "lk" intimidate you. It's no rocket science.