GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Apple Component AV Cable into AUX port

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Apple Component AV Cable into AUX port

I purchased the Apple Component AV Cable for the iPad thinking the RCA jacks would just plug into the AUX port on the Entertainment System. However, it seems the port are flushed and not allowing room for the RCA jacks to plug in.

Anyone else tried doing this?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 PM

2012 CLS 550
I am currently doing this now on my GL550 '09. I had to buy a Y-adapter from Radioshack that converted the Apple Component RCA to a headphone stereo plug that connected to the AUX port. Allows me to play Pandora and iPod music while using the iPhone to control it.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
First you need the composite cable, not the component cable since the DVD player has a composite video input. It won't plug in directly, but I used a short black (blends in with the carpet better) composite cable to actually plug into the DVD player and 3 connectors with female ends on both sides to connect the black cable to the apple cable. I had to cut the rubber covering on the outside of the male ends on the generic composite cable at the DVD end somewhat to get them to seat fully. Everything is tucked under the seat on the right other than the end of the cable with the dock connector. It works great on the headrests.

Last edited by EWT; 11-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Originally Posted by EWT
First you need the composite cable, not the component cable since the DVD player has a composite video input. It won't plug in directly, but I used a short black (blends in with the carpet better) composite cable to actually plug into the DVD player and 3 connectors with female ends on both sides to connect the black cable to the apple cable. I had to cut the rubber covering on the outside of the male ends on the generic composite cable at the DVD end somewhat to get them to seat fully. Everything is tucked under the seat on the right other than the end of the cable with the dock connector. It works great on the headrests.
Thanks, I guess I will have to go with the same approach, get a generic cable and cut it. Not sure why MB made the input ports with such tight fittings.

Any pictures you can provide on your setup?
Old 12-03-2010, 03:13 AM
EWT

Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by SFML320
Thanks, I guess I will have to go with the same approach, get a generic cable and cut it. Not sure why MB made the input ports with such tight fittings.

Any pictures you can provide on your setup?
Here you go:

The apple cable cannot be plugged into the DVD player because of the limited clearance around the RCA plugs, so I used a generic composite A/V cable (3 male RCA plugs on each end - 1 for video and 2 for audio) to plug into the player. The insulator on the RCA plugs of the generic composite cable has to be cut back somewhat on the DVD end so the plugs will seat. I just used a box cutter to trim them back:

The generic composite cable plugs into the DVD player, and I tucked the cable behind the bezel for the player and ran it under the seat:

The generic cable joins to the Apple composite cable under the seat with 3 RCA couplers. They don't show up well in the picture, but I used 3 of them: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2407266

The dock connector pops up between the seats:

Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Thanks for the writeup. The solution I used for the R class was a total of six adapters from Radio Shack. 3 male to male couplers and 3 female to female couplers which I put together, then connected one end to the DVD and one end to the Apple calbe essentially extending everything out. My solution wouldn't work well on the ML or GL due to it sticking out so far but it works fine on the R since my DVD player is under the 2nd row center console where there's no seat so I don't have to worry too much about it being kicked around.

Just interesting to see the problem attacked from different perspectives.

BTW nice GL, I see it has the heated rear seats and 3 zone. =]